Global 4D Printing in Healthcare Market is expected to register a CAGR of 29.4% during the forecast period from 2019 to 2025 and expected to reach USD 30.4 Million by 2025.
In the past decade, there has been increasing use of 3D printing in the field of healthcare. The introduction of 4D printing and its shape-changing material property in the field of dentistry, implants, and prosthetics, among others will further enhance the 3D products used for these applications. The shape-changing property of the material used for 4D printing has been one of the major factors influencing the growth of the market.
Moreover, factors such as increasing research and development, rising investment by chemical companies. These chemical companies are keen on grabbing the opportunity for the development of smart materials in 4D printing, which in turn is directly enhancing the growth of the market.
Factors such as stringent regulatory policies for the approval of 4D printing medical devices and limited skilled professionals have been major challenges for 4D printing in the healthcare market.
- Increasing application of 4D printing in healthcare verticals such as dentistry, implants, and prosthetics.
- The dental industry is one of the major applications of 4D printing. Clear aligners have been the most manufactured products via 3D printing in the dental industry.
- Align technology, the leader in global clear aligners market, accounts for about 80% of the market. The company uses 3D Systems to produce over 1.6 million custom aligners per week.
- Clear aligners can further be enhanced using 4D printing, as these products require shape altering properties according to the changing structure of the teeth on a weekly basis.
- 4D printers are also used to manufacture various dental implants, including dental implants, dentures, crowns, & bridges, among others.
- Increasing prevalence of dental diseases is further influencing the growth of the market. According to the MRFR research study in 2018, it was estimated that oral diseases affected more than 3.7 billion individuals that are around half of the world’s population.
- Rising research and development
- A research team from the US in March 2019, invented a new bio-ink that allows to print catalytically active live cells into several self-sustaining 3D geometries. These properties include tunable cell densities, fine filament thickness, and high catalytic productivity.
- Growing investment by chemical companies
- Various companies such as BASF Venture Capital GmbH and Evonik Venture Capital have invested in Chinese 3D printing companies
- Stringent regulatory policies for the approval of 4D printing medical devices
- Limited skilled professionals
- Software & Services: Software and services accounted for the major market share in 2018. 3D printers have already been installed in numerous healthcare facilities across the globe. However, these machines would require updated software and also various services for the manufacturing of 4D products.
- Smart Material: Smart Material segment is expected to grow at the fastest growth rate due to continuous advancements for the materials in 4D printing. Investment by chemical companies for the development of smart material is further influencing the market growth.
- Fused Deposition Modeling: Accounted for the largest market share due to its wide choice of raw materials and cost-effective process
- Direct Inkjet Cure: Expected to grow at the fastest growth rate majorly due to its dimensional accuracy, multi-material, and full-color printing properties
- Dental: accounted for the largest market share owing to the use of 4D printing for manufacturing of wide dental products including clear aligners, implants, and dentures among others
- Prosthetics: Expected to grow at the fastest growth rate due to increasing number of prosthetic procedures, accidental injuries, and sports injuries among others
- Hospitals & Surgical Centers: Accounted for the leading market share owing to the increasing number of hospital & surgical centers. According to a study published by the American Hospital Association, there were 5,534 registered hospitals in the US in 2017.
- Dental Clinics & Laboratories (Offices): Use of 4D printing in dental clinics & laboratories, brings less complexity to existing procedures. Dental laboratories use 4D printing technologies that allow them to increase competitiveness and production, thus driving the growth of this segment.
- Americas: The Americas spearheaded the market in 2018 and is likely to continue to command during the assessment period. This is attributed to the existence of a large number of medical device companies, increasing research and development, and the presence of a large number of noticeable players engaged in manufacturing of 4D printing devices and software
- Europe: Reported for the second-largest share owing to increasing utilization of 3D & 4D printing in the field of healthcare. According to a study conducted in 2018, it was found that 65% of healthcare providers are implementing new printing technologies for medical products using custom made materials
- Asia-Pacific: The highest growth rate is attributed to the growing investment by government bodies and private & public companies. For instance, in November 2018, BASF Venture Capital GmbH invested in Chinese 3D printing company Prismlab.
- In January 2019, Dentsply Sirona and Carbon announced a strategic collaboration to revolutionize digital denture materials. This strategic collaboration was announced to deliver denture materials for carbon digital 3D printing production solutions.
- Stratasys Ltd (US)
- 3D Systems, Inc (US)
- EnvisionTEC (Germany)
- Organovo Holdings Inc. (US)
- Materialise NV (Belgium)
- Dassault Systèmes (France)
USD 30.4 Million
Value (USD Million)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
By Component, By Technology, By Application and By End-User
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Stratasys Ltd (US),3D Systems, Inc (US), EnvisionTEC (Germany), Poietis (France), Organovo Holdings Inc. (US), Materialise NV (Belgium), Dassault Systèmes (France)
Key Market Opportunities
Increasing research and developmentRising investment by chemical companies
Key Market Drivers
Increasing application of 4D printing in healthcare verticalsAlign technologyClear aligners can further be enhanced using 4D printingIncreasing prevalence of dental diseases
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
The valuation of the global 4D printing in healthcare market is estimated to reach USD 30.4 MN by 2025.
The global 4D printing in healthcare market is projected to grow at approximately 29.4% CAGR during the forecast period (2019-2025).
Increasing application of 4D printing in healthcare verticals.
North America holds the largest share in the global 4D printing in healthcare market, followed by Europe and the Asia Pacific, respectively.
3D Systems, Inc (US), Stratasys Ltd (US), EnvisionTEC (Germany), Organovo Holdings Inc. (US), Poietis (France), Materialise NV (Belgium), and Dassault Systèmes (France), are some of the major players operating in the global 4D printing in healthcare market.
This table of content is tentative and subject to change as the research progresses.
Please Note: Financial details of company cannot be provided if the information of the company is not available in public domain and or reliable source.