UAV Propulsion System Market is projected to reach USD 12.52 Billion by 2025, expanding at a CAGR of 12.6% between 2019 and 2025. The propulsion system is one of the vital components in the UAV. Thus, the selection of propulsion is one of the most important tasks in the design phase of a UAV. The type of propulsion system to be used is directly linked with tasks or missions, which the designed UAV will execute. Moreover, it is necessary to select the propulsion system, which can able to handle heavy payloads such as, munitions or cargo.
The Global UAV Propulsion System Market has witnessed high growth in recent years owing to increasing use for UAVs for military missions globally. Moreover, the increasing use of UAVs for countering internal and external security threats and increasing demand of UAVs for border monitoring are some factors driving the growth of the market.
However, failure in the thermal propulsion system and less endurance of the electric propulsion system is expected to restrain the market growth to some extent.
The growing demand for UAVs by the defense agencies for tactical missions is expected to boost the demand for advanced UAV propulsion systems.
- Increasing the use of UAVs for countering internal and external security threats: UAVs are the next generation of aerial platforms deployed by defense forces around the world. The demand for such unmanned systems and payloads has been fueled by their successful deployment in combat missions against terrorism, especially in countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Increasing demand for UAVs for border monitoring
- Failure in thermal propulsion system
- Low endurance of electric propulsion system
By Propulsion Type
- Electric: For electrically-based propulsion systems, electric motors are used, which drives propellers coupled with it by using battery stored electric power. The demand for electric propulsion systems is increasing significantly due to its various advantages such as less noise generation, less maintenance requirement, and low cost.
- Thermal: Thermal engines are the internal combustion engines such as reciprocating piston engines, rotary piston engines, and jet engines. The use of this propulsion system is increasing for high endurance and advanced military UAVs.
- Hybrid: The hybrid propulsion is composed of two engines a thermal engine, which operates with uninterrupted motor revolutions and an electrical engine, which generates additional power when necessary. In the parallel arrangement, both engines drive the transmission at the same time. The hybrid systems are largely for the UAVs with heavy payloads.
- Long Range: The segment is expected to witness higher growth during the forecast period from 2019 to 2025. The increasing demand for long-range propulsion system by the military forces is expected to drive the growth of the segment.
- Medium Range: The segment dominates the UAV propulsion system market in 2018. This is due to the large use of medium-range propulsion systems by commercial and military end-users.
- Short Range: The segment is expected to witness higher growth during the forecast period from 2019 to 2025. This is due to the increase in the use of short-range UAVs by the consumer end-users.
- Military & Defense: The segment is expected to witness the highest growth during the forecast period. This is due to the high usage of UAVs in intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) missions by the military forces.
- Commercial: The segment is expected to witness a steady increase in CAGR during the forecast period. Factors such as the increasing number of start-ups, subsequent decline in UAV costs, and high competition are further boosting the demand for commercial UAVs.
- Consumers: The segment is expected to witness the steady growth in CAGR during the forecast period. This is due to the increasing use of UAVs for recreational photography and videography and for drone racing.
- North America: North America dominates the UAV propulsion system market. This trend is projected to continue during the forecast period due to the presence of prominent players such as Ballard Power Systems Inc., GE Aviation, Orbital Corporation, and United Technologies Corporation and high investments made by them in the development of advanced UAV propulsions systems.
- Europe: The increasing adoption of UAVs by the air forces in Europe for performing intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance missions is expected to drive the growth of the European market in the review period.
- Asia-Pacific: The market in this region is projected to expand at a high CAGR during the forecast period. Increasing defense expenditure and rising terrorist activities in countries such as India, China, Indonesia, and Australia are driving the growth of the market in the region.
- Middle East & Africa: The increase in defense expenditures by countries such as Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Israel is driving the market growth in the Middle East & African region.
- Latin America: In Latin America, there has been an increase in the use of UAVs for intelligence gathering on drug trafficking and rebel groups, deforestation monitoring, and control of illegal migration, which is expected to drive the market growth.
- 3W International GmbH (Germany)
- Austro Engine GmbH (Germany)
- Ballard Power Systems Inc. (US)
- GE Aviation (US)
- Hirth Engines GmbH (Germany)
- LaunchPoint Technologies Inc. (US)
- Orbital Corporation (US)
- Rotron Power Ltd (UK)
- Safran SA (France)
- Sky Power GmbH (Germany)
- UAV Engine Ltd (US)
- UAV Propulsion Tech (US)
- UAV Turbines, Inc. (US)
- United Technologies Corporation (US)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
Global UAV propulsion system market is estimated to acquire market value of USD 12.52 billion by 2025.
Global UAV propulsion system market is expected to expand at a CAGR of 12.6% by 2025.
Global UAV propulsion system market is segmented into propulsion type, range, end-user, and region.
North America is projected to dominate the global UAV propulsion system market.
LaunchPoint Technologies Inc. (U.S.), 3W International GmbH (Germany), Rotron Power Ltd (U.K.), Austro Engine GmbH (Germany) are some of the prominent players of the global UAV propulsion system market.