Synchronous Motor Market Scenario
Synchronous Motor Market is projected to reach approx. USD 30.09 billion by 2027, registering 4.33% CAGR during the review period (2020 – 2027).
The global synchronous motors market is growing due to the growth of the oil & gas industry, pulp and paper industry, and the chemical industry. Synchronous motors usually outperform induction motors, especially for low RPM and low to medium voltage applications.
Synchronous motors are widely used in pumps, compressors, fans, conveyor belts, extruders, and mixers.
The growth of automation is also driving the growth of the synchronous motor market due to the wide applicability of the product in ventilation, cooling systems, and heating.
Efficient and constant output irrespective of the applied load
- High efficiency
- Increased demand for synchronous motors in automation
- Requirements in the growing oil & gas industry
- Not suitable for applications where the motor must be started with load
- High costs
- General Electric
- Rockwell Automation, Inc.
- Toshiba Corporation
- WEG SA
- Hitachi Ltd
- Bosch Group
- Johnson Electric Holdings Limited
- Emerson Electric Co.
- Nidec Corporation
By Mount Type
- Horizontal Mounting Synchronous Motor: The larger market within this segment, horizontal mounting synchronous motors are utilized for applications such as fans, compressors, conveyors, and cranes.
- Vertical Mounting Synchronous Motor: Vertical mounting synchronous motors are used in applications where the motor is supposed to handle radial and axial thrust. They find utility in pumps and other low-inertia variable torque applications.
By Voltage Class
- Medium Voltage: High voltage synchronous motors find applicability in operations which require high power and low operating speeds. For operating speeds below 500 RPM and a power requirement between 35–2500 kW, synchronous motors outperform induction motors. They are used to power conveyor belts, compressors, and cranes.
- Low Voltage: Low voltage synchronous motors find applicability in fans for heating, ventilation, and cooling systems.
- Compressors: Synchronous motor compressors usually outperform induction motor compressors especially when higher ratings (5000 hp or higher) are concerned.
- Pumps: Synchronous motors find widespread utility in pumps due to their fixed speeds irrespective of the load and an ability to handle both radial and axial thrust.
- Fans: The largest segment, industrial purpose fans widely use synchronous motors due to their constant speeds.
- Conveyor Belts: Conveyor belts require high power and constant speeds, something for which synchronous motors are perfect. Conveyor belts require low voltage and those operating on low RPMs use synchronous motors due to them outperforming induction motors in all aspects.
- Extruders: Extruders require constant speeds at low to medium voltage. The growing worldwide demand for plastics is driving the synchronous motor extruder segment.
- Mixers: Mixers widely employ synchronous motors due to their need for constant RPM at low voltages.
- Others: This includes ball mills, robot actuators, rotor windings, among others.
By End User
- Oil & Gas: The largest market within this segment, the oil & gas industry has a requirement for synchronous motor pumps, fans, and compressors for low and high speeds.
- Chemicals & Petrochemicals: This segment is driven by a need for synchronous motor pumps as well as compressors to aid in the transportation of chemicals and petrochemicals.
- Mining: The mining industry has a critical requirement for pumps that can transport water from the mines to prevent flooding. The constant speed of the pump is essential, irrespective of load fluctuations and this can be achieved using synchronous motor pumps.
- Pulp and Paper: Pulp and paper industry requires machinery which operates at a constant, low to medium speed for which it uses synchronous motors.
- Metals: The metal industry uses synchronous motors for the processing and production of metals.
- Others: This segment includes construction and agriculture, among others.
- North America: The North American synchronous motor market is driven by its huge oil & gas industry, substantial chemical industry, and large pulp and paper industry.
- Europe: In Europe, the synchronous motor market is driven by requirements in various manufacturing plants.
- Asia-Pacific: This is the largest and fastest-growing regional market for synchronous motors due to the presence of the largest mining industry, the largest pulp and paper industry, and the largest oil & gas market (whose transportation relies on synchronous pumps).
- Middle East & Africa: The market in this region is primarily driven by the presence of a huge and well-established oil & gas industry.
- South America: A small market, South America has a demand primarily for synchronous pumps.
2027:USD 30.09 Billion
Value (USD Billion)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Mount Type, Voltage Class ,Application and End User
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
ABB, Siemens, General Electric, Rockwell Automation, Inc., Toshiba Corporation, WEG SA, Hitachi Ltd, Bosch Group, Johnson Electric Holdings Limited, Emerson Electric Co., Nidec Corporation
Key Market Opportunities
New product launches and R&D Amongst major key Players
Key Market Drivers
High efficiencyIncreased demand for synchronous motors in automationRequirements in the growing oil & gas industry
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
synchronous motors market is expected to record a substantial market valuation of USD 30.09 billion 2027.
synchronous motors market is projected to register a moderate 4.33% CAGR in the forecast period.
The horizontal mounting synchronous motor segment is slated to expand as the fastest-growing segment.
The medium voltage segment is slated to expand as the fastest-growing segment.
A few major market players operating in the global synchronous motors market are Siemens, Toshiba Corporation, Robert Bosch GmbH (Germany), among others.