Speak to Analyst
Request a Free Sample
Surgical Dressings and Disposables Market Forecast
Surgical Dressings and Disposables Market is expected to cross USD 9.53 Billion by 2025 at a CAGR of 8.2%.
Increasing cases of patients suffering from burn injuries in developing and underdeveloped nations is set to drive the demand for surgical and wound care products such as dressings and disposables. Approximately 180,000 deaths are caused by burns every year across the globe and the vast majority occur in low- and middle-income countries. In India, approximately 1 million people suffer moderate or severe burns each year while in Bangladesh there are approximately 173,000 children who suffer burns annually.
An increase in healthcare spending is expected to drive the growth of the surgical dressings and disposables market.
Strategic mergers & acquisitions are also projected to boost market growth with companies looking to strengthen their market positions, expand their product portfolios, and improves their brand images. For instance, in May 2019, 3M announced the acquisition of Acelity L.P.Inc. and its KCI subsidiaries for approximately USD 6.7 billion. The acquisition would help 3M strengthen its position in the surgical dressings and disposables market. Similarly, in May 2019, Adynxx, Inc. merged with Alliqua BioMedical, Inc.
An increase in the number of surgeries and innovations in post-surgical care are directly linked to the growth of the Surgical Dressings and Disposables Market.
The mushrooming of specialty clinics and a growing home healthcare segment are further aiding in the growth of the surgical dressings and disposables market.
Increased spending on healthcare. Chronic wound care accounted for an estimated USD 8–16 billion in healthcare costs in 2018 in the US.
- Increased use of disposables in the healthcare industry. Surgical dressings and disposables find widespread application in neurosurgery, plastic and reconstructive surgery, wound closure, urology, obstetrics and gynecology, thoracic surgery, and microvascular, cardiovascular, and orthopedic surgery, and laparoscopy, among others. The growth of the market is driven by the increasing number of surgeries and hospitals, rising prevalence of different diseases, and the growing geriatric population. Moreover, technological advancements, increasing number of ambulatory services, and favorable government initiatives have a synergistic effect on Surgical Dressings and Disposables Market growth.
- Increased healthcare spending
- Rise in the number of surgeries performed globally. An increasing number of surgeries would also drive the growth of the market for surgical dressings and disposables. The decreasing costs and increasing safety of surgical procedures and growth of the medical tourism industry are expected to drive Surgical Dressings and Disposables Market growth exponentially.
- Widespread use in the healthcare industry
- Advances in burn care with an increase in the overall number of burn victims
- Growing number of complex surgical procedures
- Stringent government regulatory policies in various countries for new surgical products. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency, and China Food and Drug Administration (CFDA) are some of the government bodies that set regulatory standards for the healthcare industry.
By Product Type
- Surgical Dressings:
- Primary Surgical Dressings: This sub-segment includes alginates, film dressings, soft silicone dressings, hydrogels, and foam dressings.
- Secondary Surgical Dressings: Consist of bandages, adhesive tapes, absorbents, and protectives, among others.
- Disposables: Consisting of surgical masks, gloves, gowns, syringes, needles, suction catheters, and other single-use products.
By End User
- Hospitals: The largest segment as the use of surgical dressings and disposables is highest in hospitals.
- Ambulatory surgery centers: A growing segment.
- Home Healthcare: Consisting of long-term care for chronic patients and the elderly, this is a fast-growing market segment, especially in developed nations.
- Specialty Clinics: The Advances in medical science is driving the growth of the segment.
- Others: This segment includes onsite healthcare provided at construction sites, schools, and colleges, among others.
- Americas: The largest regional market. The US alone has more than 7,200 active hospitals and a very well-established healthcare industry. This serves to drive the growth of the surgical dressings and disposables market in the region.
- Europe: Europe has some of the best healthcare services in the world. The need for surgical dressing and disposables is high in this region due to the growth of the healthcare industry.
- Asia-Pacific: The fastest-growing regional market for surgical dressings and disposables, Asia-Pacific has the world’s largest population and a fast-developing healthcare industry. In addition, East Asia has a growing geriatric population which is expected to drive the growth of the Surgical Dressings and Disposables Market.
- Middle East & Africa: Limited healthcare infrastructure notwithstanding, surgical dressings and disposables are used at each level of healthcare in the region, which is driving demand.
- 3M (US): Market leader in wound care products including surgical dressings and disposables. Offers surgical site dressing products under the brand names 3M Tegaderm and Medipore.
- Braun Melsungen AG (Germany): Leading provider of healthcare products and medical devices. The company offers surgical dressings and disposable products under the brand name Askina.
- ConvaTec Group PLC (UK): Offers surgical dressings under the brand names Aquacel and Hydrofiber.
- Medtronic (Ireland): Global market leader with manufacturing facilities worldwide. It offers surgical dressings under the brand name Dermacea.
- Smith & Nephew PLC (UK): The company offers surgical dressings under the brand names Allevyn, Acticoat, Durafiber, and Lodosorb.
- Medline Industries, Inc. (US): Manufacturer and distributor of a wide range of medical products including surgical dressings and disposables under the brand names Curad, Optifoam, and Aegis.
- Coloplast Group (Denmark): One of the major vendors in the surgical dressings and disposables market. Offers its surgical dressing and disposable products under the brand name Biatain.
- Top Glove Corporation Bhd (Malaysia): Offers surgical dressing and disposable products under the brand names Finessis and Aspiosn.
- Mölnlycke Health Care AB (Sweden): Offers surgical dressings and disposable products under the brand names Mepitel and Mepilex.
- Becton, Dickinson and Company (US): One of the major competitors in the market and offers its products under the brand names Veca-C, V. Mueller, Impress, Genesis, and Snowden-Pencer, among others.
Speak to Analyst
Ask for Customization
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
surgical dressings and disposables market was valued at USD 5.3 billion in 2018.
The global market is expected to exhibit a strong 8.2% CAGR over the forecast period from 2019 to 2025.
The growing number of surgical processes is the major driver for the market.
The Americas is the largest regional market for surgical dressings and disposables.
Leading players in the market include 3M, Braun Melsungen, and Coloplast Group, among others.