Global DC-DC Converter Market for space is projected to reach USD 4.25 Billion by 2025 at with a 2.4% CAGR from 2019 to 2025.
A DC-DC converter is an electronic circuit or electromechanical device, which converts a source of direct current (DC) from one voltage level to another. DC-DC converters are extensively used to efficiently produce a regulated voltage from a source that may or may not be well controlled, such as solar power to a connected load. Its closed feedback loops maintain constant voltage output even when changing input voltages and output currents.
The Global DC-DC Converter Market for space has witnessed high growth in recent years owing to the rising number of space exploration missions by private firms and an increase in the deployment of small satellites. Moreover, the development of satellites for day-to-day communications, agricultural monitoring, national defense, and weather monitoring is driving the growth of the market. However, the issues associated with commercially available converters and stringent space regulations are expected to hinder market growth to some extent.
Frequent satellite launches and miniaturization of space components
- Increase in deployment of small satellites: Small satellites are used for various military and commercial applications, such as communications and surveillance. The development and deployment of these satellites have increased drastically in the last few years due to the increasing use of satellites for surveillance, communications, navigation, and remote sensing. This is expected to drive the demand for space DC-DC converters during the forecast period.
- Large-scale investments by private firms in space exploration missions
- Increasing volume of space debris
By Output Voltage
- 3 VDC: The segment is expected to grow with a steady CAGR during the forecast period. This is because a smaller number of loads are run at this voltage. For instance, satellite power control units use this voltage range.
- 5 VDC: This segment held the largest market share in 2018. This segment includes loads such as reaction wheel assemblies (FOG), wheel drive electronics (WDE), attitude control computer (ACC), fine sun sensor (FSS), an onboard computer (OBC). These loads usually require 5 VDC for their operation.
- 24 VDC: This segment is expected to grow at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. It includes loads such as payload, power, and data handling unit (PPDHU), magnetometer, reaction wheel (RW), and telemetry and telecommand (TCTM) unit. These loads usually require 24 VDC for their operation.
By Output Power
- 20 W: This segment is expected to grow with a steady CAGR during the forecast period. The converter modules included in this segment feature a very low leakage current, a wide input voltage range, and are available in single or dual output versions, which is driving the growth of this segment.
- 20–40 W: The segment is expected to grow with the highest CAGR during the forecast period. The increasing deployment of small satellites in the low Earth orbit that is integrated with 20 to 40 W DC-DC converters is driving the growth of this segment.
- 40–100 W: This segment held the largest market share in 2018. The converters included in this segment offer features such as remote on/off control with optional logic polarity, a differential remote sense, an under-voltage lockout (UVLO), and an industry-standard output voltage adjustment using an external resistor.
- Surveillance: This segment is expected to register the higher growth rate during the forecast period owing to an increase in the number of lower earth orbit satellites for surveillance activities globally.
- Communication: This segment dominated the global DC-DC converter market for space in 2018 due to the high investments in the development of communication satellites by commercial, government, and military agencies across the world. Satellites improve the military's ability to communicate in remote areas such as regions where mountainous terrain frequently interferes with communications signals. Similarly, marine communication between ships or with the shore can be carried out with the help of on-board systems through shore stations and pseudo satellites.
- Navigation: This segment is expected to register a higher growth rate during the forecast period owing to the increasing development of advanced navigation.
- Remote Sensing: This segment is expected to register the highest growth rate during the forecast period owing to the extensive use of satellites for border patrol, intelligence, surveillance, and missile detection. Recent advances in satellites have made the analysis of imagery and geospatial image processing possible to enable rapid and continuous monitoring of national borders.
- North America: North America dominated the space launch services market in 2018 and is projected to remain the largest regional market during the forecast period due to the high investments by space agencies and private firms in the development of advanced satellites.
- Europe: Europe is expected to be the second-largest regional market. This is due to the increase in space exploration activities in Russia, the UK, Germany, and France. Moreover, the presence of major players, such as Airbus SAS, Asp Equipment GmbH, Thales Group, and Infineon Technologies AG, is driving market growth in the region.
- Asia-Pacific: The market in Asia-Pacific is projected to be the fastest-growing during the forecast period due to high investments in the development of new satellites for surveillance, communications, earth observation, and navigation in China and India.
- Middle East & Africa: The market in the Middle East & Africa includes Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and Israel. The increasing demand for navigation and communications satellites in the UAE and Saudi Arabia is expected to drive the growth of the market in the region.
- Latin America: In Latin America, there has been an increase in the use of satellite imagery for intelligence gathering on drug trafficking and rebel groups, deforestation monitoring, and control of illegal migration, which is expected to drive market growth.
- Airbus SAS (Netherlands)
- Asp Equipment GmbH (Germany)
- Crane Aerospace and Electronics (US)
- Infineon Technologies AG (Germany)
- Microsemi Corporation (US)
- Sitael S.P.A (Italy)
- Synqor Inc. (US)
- Texas Instruments (US)
- UTC Aerospace Systems (US)
- Vicor Corporation (US)
- VPT Power Inc. (US)
- Thales Group (France)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
The growth period of the market is from 2019 to 2025.
The revenue generation of the market will be USD 4.25 Billion by the year 2025.
At 2.4% the market grow in the future.
Increase in deployment of small satellites is the prime driver of the market’s growth.
Output Voltage, Output Power, Application are the prime segments of the market.