America Pouchitis Treatment Market Scenario
The America pouchitis treatment market is expected to reach USD 14.40 Million by 2030 at 4.8% CAGR during the forecast period 2022-2030. Pouchitis is a nonspecific inflammatory condition in the ileal pouch reservoir. The condition exclusively occurs in patients with underlying ulcerative colitis
(UC) and is rarely seen in patients with Familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP). Patients with UC or FAP opt for ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA) surgery as a treatment, and pouchitis appears as an outcome of this surgery in some cases. Pouch endoscopy is usually recommended by the physicians for diagnosis as the procedure yields valuable information on the severity of mucosal inflammation, CD of the pouch or cuffitis, presence or absence of concurrent backwash ileitis, and the presence or absence of structural abnormalities.
Notably, rising prevalence of Ulcerative Colitis (UC) is the key factors driving the pouchitis treatment market. According to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2015, around 1.3% of the U.S. adults were diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease
(IBD). The prevalence of ulcerative colitis is reported to be 37 to 246 cases per 100,000 individuals whereas, the incidence rate is found to be 2.2 to 14.3 cases per 100,000 people.
Increasing need for ileal pouch-anal anastomosis procedure, long-term use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and rising geriatric population are fuelling the market growth.
According to the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, chronological age should not be an exclusion criterion for ileal pouch-anal anastomosis surgery. Patients with IBD are mostly recommended to opt IPAA surgery for the treatment. Around 89% of elderly ulcerative colitis patients undergo this surgery, suggested by the World Journal of Gastrointestinal Pharmacology and Therapeutics in 2016.
However, the side effects of the available treatment options and stringent FDA regulations may hinder the growth of the pouchitis treatment market over the forecast period. Till now not even a single drug is approved by the FDA for the treatment of pouchitis. However, few are in clinical trials waiting for approval such as Alicaforsen by Atlantic Healthcare plc
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Diagnostic Centers
- Research and Development (R&D) Companies
- Government Research Institute
- Academic Institutes and Universities
Figure: America Pouchitis Treatment Market by Treatment Market Share, 2016 (%)
Sources: Annual reports, Press release, White paper, Company presentation
The America pouchitis treatment market is segmented on the basis of treatment and end user.
On the basis of the treatment, the America pouchitis treatment market is segmented into antibiotics, probiotics, and others. The antibiotic segment is further sub-segmented into ciprofloxacin, metronidazole, rifaximin, and others.
On the basis of the end -users, the pouchitis treatment market is segmented into hospitals & clinics, research institutes, and others.
- The America pouchitis treatment market is expected to reach USD 18.8 million by 2023 at a CAGR of 8.34%.
- On the basis of the treatment, the antibiotics segment commanded the largest market share of 91.2% and is also expected to grow at a healthy CAGR of 8.65% during the forecast period 2017 to 2023.
- On the basis of the end user, the hospitals & clinics segment commanded the largest market share of 67.3% in 2016, and this segment is also expected to grow at a healthy CAGR of 8.54% during the forecast period, 2017 to 2023.
- North America holds the largest share of the Americas pouchitis treatment market and is expected to reach USD 15.06 million by 2023
On the basis of region, the America pouchitis treatment market is segmented into North America, and South America. North America accounts for a major share owing to the rising cases of pouchitis, and high healthcare expenditure. People in this region are more inclined towards quality healthcare that leads to increase in the healthcare spending. Due to rising prevalence of pouchitis, various companies, private organizations, and government associations are also actively participating to improve the treatment options.
The Americas pouchitis market is driven by ongoing extensive research in the inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). The American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) has introduced several new research grants to support investigators studying inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) such as Takeda Pharmaceuticals research scholar awards in IBD, and Pfizer pilot research award in IBD.
Around 30% of patients with ulcerative colitis (UC) undergo colectomy with ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA) surgery and up to 50% of patients develop at least one episode of pouchitis. So, rising prevalence of ulcerative colitis is boosting the Americas pouchitis treatment market. According to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2015, around 1.3% of the U.S. adults were diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). The prevalence of ulcerative colitis is reported to be 37 to 246 cases per 100,000 individuals whereas, the incidence rate is found to be 2.2 to 14.3 cases per 100,000 person-years.
Some of key the players in the pouchitis treatment market are Pfizer, Abbott, Allergan Plc, Bayer, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, Alfa sigma, Atlantic Healthcare, Tillotts Pharma AG, AstraZeneca, Novartis AG, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., Sanofi, B. Braun Medical Inc., Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Sucampo Pharmaceuticals, Ironwood Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Astellas Pharma Inc., Synergy Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Ardelyx, Inc., Sebela Pharmaceuticals, Probi, and others
Sources: Annual reports, Press release, White paper, and Company presentation
Key Questions Answered
Request Free Sample
- ✅Global Market Outlook
- ✅In-depth analysis of global and regional trends
- ✅Analyze and identify the major players in the market, their market share, key developments, etc.
- ✅To understand the capability of the major players based on products offered, financials, and strategies.
- ✅Identify disrupting products, companies, and trends.
- ✅To identify opportunities in the market.
- ✅Analyze the key challenges in the market.
- ✅Analyze the regional penetration of players, products, and services in the market.
- ✅Comparison of major players’ financial performance.
- ✅Evaluate strategies adopted by major players.
Why Choose Market Research Future?
Speak to Analyst
- ✅Vigorous research methodologies for specific market.
- ✅Knowledge partners across the globe
- ✅Large network of partner consultants.
- ✅Ever-increasing/ Escalating data base with quarterly monitoring of various markets
- ✅Trusted by fortune 500 companies/startups/universities/organizations
- ✅Large database of 5000+ markets reports.
- ✅Effective and prompt pre- and post-sales support.