Patient Handling Equipment Market Forecast
Patient Handling Equipment Market is expected to be valued at USD 15,430.18 Million by 2027 at a CAGR of 8.3% during the forecast period, 2020-2027.
The advancement in patient handling equipment and expansion of healthcare infrastructure due to the COVID-19 pandemic is expected to boost the growth of the patient handling equipment market in the forecast period.
An increasing usage of patient handling equipment in hospitals, rehabilitation centers, and elderly care settings is expected to drive the growth of the patient handling equipment market.
The patient handling equipment market growth in the coming years can also be attributed to the business expansion of manufacturers through merger & acquisition and incessant launch of innovative products. For instance, in the year 2020, Invacare Corporation, a US-based long-term medical product manufacturer, announced the launch of an Invacare AVIVA FX Power Wheelchair, a front-wheel-drive wheelchair. This product launch was aimed to strengthen the company’s power mobility product portfolio.
Growing patient population of chronic diseases and rising geriatric population are the major market influencer of the patient handling equipment market.
The rising influx of patients in the hospital due to an outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic. The critical care products including hospital beds, ventilators, and vitals monitoring devices are being used in abundance for patients suffering from COVID-19. Various companies are aiding the healthcare sector in meeting the rising demand for critical care products by increasing their manufacturing capacity. For instance, in May 2020, Stryker (US) delivered about 1,000 emergency relief beds to hospitals in Qatar. The company is also massively producing emergency relief beds, a low-cost hospital bed.
- Increasing geriatric and obese population
- Risk of injuries to caregivers while manual handling of patients
- Implementation of regulations to ensure the safety of healthcare service providers during the manual lifting procedure. For instance, according to the Office of State Human Resources (OSHR), the caregiver should do a preliminary assessment of their safety & health risks before any manual handling operation and take appropriate steps to lower the risks of patient handling. Also, manual handling operations should be avoided as far as it is reasonably practicable.
- A growing number of road accidents
- Growing usage of ceiling lifts in hospitals
- Low skilled professionals for the efficient operation of the patient handling equipment.
- Patient Transfer Devices: This segment is likely to hold the largest share owing to the growing number of obese patients. This segment is further fragmented into patient lifts, air-assisted lateral transfer mattresses, sliding sheets, and accessories. Patient transfer devices aid in long and short distance transfer of patients depending on the requirement. Also, these products provide caregivers reduced risk of injuries while patient handling and are time efficient. According to National Public Radio, every year about 35,000 nursing professionals experience back and body injuries during patient handling in the US region.
- Medical Beds: This segment is further segmented into manual beds, electric beds, and semi-electric beds. The rising number of COVID-19 patients has influx the demand for medical beds in the forecast period. Also, the growing geriatric population base susceptive to chronic disease will be driving the growth of the segment. For instance, in 2019, according to the United Nations, globally there were about 703 million people aged 65 or over.
- Mobility Devices: This segment is further segmented into wheelchairs & mobility scooters, and ambulatory aids. The increasing cases of disability are expected to propel the demand for mobility devices. The ambulatory aid equipment provides support, stability, and balance for patients. The ambulatory aid segment includes equipment such as crutch, cane walking, walker, and others.
- Bathroom & Toilet Assist Equipment: These segments include bathroom assist products such as commodes, bath aids, handgrips, bath lifts, shower chairs, and others. Easy availability in online stores is likely to propel the growth of the segment.
- Stretchers & Transport Chairs: These are used in carrying patients from one place to another, within and outside of a healthcare facility. The advancement in stretchers & transport chairs has been enabling clinicians in providing patients with proper emergency assistance.
- Acute & Critical Care: This segment is likely to hold the largest share owing to high prevalence rate cardiovascular diseases, viral infection, and other acute diseases. For instance, in 2017, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 18.2 million adult population aged 20 or older were suffering from coronary heart disease in the US region.
- Long Term Care: This segment is likely to be the fastest-growing segment owing to the growing prevalence of target diseases such as tuberculosis, Alzheimer’s disease, tetanus, and others. For instance, according to Alzheimer's Association, in the US, about 5.8 million people aged 65 or above were suffering from Alzheimer’s dementia in 2019 and 5.7 million in 2018.
- Mobility Assistance: The growth of this segment can be attributed to the growing incidence rate of diseases such as arthritis and Parkinson’s. For instance, according to Parkinson's Foundation, every year about 60,000 of the American population are diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. This disease is characterized by stiffness, slowed movement, tremors, and impaired balance. The mobility assistance devices improve balance and provide support to patients suffering from Parkinson’s disease. Also, the rising elderly population is expected to drive the growth of the segment.
- Hospitals: Hospitals segment dominated the market share owing to increasing healthcare infrastructure and rising investment. According to MRFR analysis, the investments made in hospital and healthcare services for the year 2017 and 2018 in some European countries are the following:
Source: MRFR Analysis
- Home Care Settings: The rising reimbursement senior for home care setting and increasing demand for home health is expected to propel the growth of this segment. For instance, Medicare provides reimbursement on electric beds which can be used in-home care settings. These reimbursement rates are about 10% for the first 3 months and 7.5% for the remaining months.
- Americas: The largest regional market. The increasing prevalence rate of obesity is expected to boost the growth of the patient handling equipment market during the forecast period. For instance, in the US, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2017-18, the prevalence of obesity was around 42.2%, which was about 39.8% in 2015-16.
- Europe: Europe held the second-largest position in the patient handling equipment market owing to high research and development investment. For instance, in 2017, according to MedTech Europe, about 40% of total patent applications in medical technology were filed from European countries.
- Asia-Pacific: The fastest-growing regional market for patient handling equipment owing to the growing life expectancy rate. According to the World Bank, the life expectancy at birth in the South Asia region in 2017 and 2018 were 69.1 year and 69.4 years, respectively. Also, growing healthcare expenditure is driving the growth of the patient handling equipment market. For instance, in 2017, according to the World Bank, the healthcare expenditure of Japan, China and India was about 10.94%, 5.15%, and 3.53%, respectively. Such increasing expenditure backed by life expectancy rate is expected to boost the demand for patient handling devices in the coming years
- Middle East & Africa: This region is expected to show steady growth owing to the high rate of obesity. For instance, in 2016, according to the World Health Organization, about 28.3% of adults and 81.3% of women are suffering from obesity in the South African region. However, low healthcare infrastructure in the region is expected to hinder the patient handling equipment market growth in the forecast period.
Patient Handling Equipment Market Key Players
- Arjo (Sweden)
- Hill-Rom Services Inc. (US)
- Invacare Corporation (US)
- Handicare (Sweden)
- GF Health Products, Inc. (US)
- Etac AB (Sweden)
- Joerns Healthcare LLC (US)
- Medline Industries, Inc. (US)
- McAuley Medical, Inc. (US)
- Prism Medical UK (UK)
- EZ Way, Inc. (US)
- LINET (Czech Republic)
- Savaria (Canada)
- Malvestio Spa (Italy)
- Ossenberg GmbH (Germany)
- Stryker (US)
- Stiegelmeyer GmbH & Co. KG (Germany)
2027: USD 15,430.18 Million
Value (USD Million)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Type, Product, Application and End-User
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Arjo (Sweden), Hill-Rom Services Inc. (US), Invacare Corporation (US), Handicare (Sweden), GF Health Products, Inc. (US), Etac AB (Sweden), Joerns Healthcare LLC (US), Medline Industries, Inc. (US), McAuley Medical, Inc. (US), Prism Medical UK (UK), EZ Way, Inc. (US), LINET (Czech Republic), Savaria (Canada), Malvestio Spa (Italy), Ossenberg GmbH (Germany), Stryker (US), Stiegelmeyer GmbH & Co. KG (Germany)
Key Market Opportunities
Growing Patient Population of chronic diseases and rising geriatric population are the major market influencer of the Patient Handling Equipment Market.
Key Market Drivers
Increasing geriatric and obese population. Risk of injuries to caregivers while manual handling of patients. A growing number of road accidents. Growing usage of ceiling lifts in hospitals.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
The patient handling equipment market is segmented into Patient Transfer Devices, Medical Beds, Wheelchairs & Mobility Scooters, Ambulatory Aids, Bathroom & Toilet Assist Equipment, Stretchers & Transport Chairs. Patient Transfer Devices is likely to hold the largest share owing to the growing number of obese patients.
The patient handling equipment market is segmented into Patient Transfer Devices, Medical Beds, Wheelchairs & Mobility Scooters, Ambulatory Aids, Bathroom & Toilet Assist Equipment, Stretchers & Transport Chairs.
Patient Handling Equipment Market can thrive at 8.3% CAGR by 2027.
By 2027, the Patient Handling Equipment Market value can surpass USD 15,430.18 Million.
Hill-Rom Services Inc. (US), Handicare (Sweden), and Invacare Corporation (US) are some top-notch Patient Handling Equipment Market players.
High number of in-patients in hospitals can drive the Patient Handling Equipment Market.
Lack of expertise can hinder the Patient Handling Equipment Market rise.
This table of content is tentative and subject to change as the research progresses.
Please Note: Financial details of company cannot be provided if the information of the company is not available in public domain and or reliable source.