Disinfectant Chemicals Market Overview
According to MRFR analysis, Disinfectant Chemicals Market was valued at around USD 5 Billion in 2019 and is projected to reach USD 7.2 Billion by 2027 at a CAGR of 5%.
Disinfectant chemicals are the substances that are used to control, kill, or deactivate the pathogenic microorganisms on any inanimate object or surface. Numerous disinfectants are available in the market that includes chlorine and derivatives, quaternary ammonium compounds, phenolic compounds, alcohols and aldehydes, and many more. They have been widely used worldwide to prevent and kill infectious diseases in the hospital and clinical premises.
The key factor driving the growth of the disinfectant chemicals market is the growing prevalence of healthcare-associated infections (HAIs), growing healthcare investments by government bodies across the globe, and rising geriatric population in developed economies. Favorable government legislations have forced hospital authorities to ensure sanitation in their facilities. However, factors such as the availability of alternative technology, such as UV radiation, is likely to hamper the growth of the disinfectant chemicals market.
Furthermore, disinfectant chemicals have witnessed a sudden upsurge in sales globally due to the outbreak of COVID-19. With the increasing number of cases and deaths worldwide, consumers and end users are taking cautious measures to prevent the spread of this virus, thereby increasing the consumption of disinfectant chemicals worldwide.
All the above-mentioned factors are projected to boost the demand for disinfectant chemicals during the review period.
- 3M (US)
- Cantel Medical (US)
- STERIS plc (US)
- Akzo Nobel NV (Netherlands)
- Evonik Industries AG (Germany)
- Betco (US)
- Ecolab (US)
- The Clorox Company (US)
- Johnson & Johnson (US)
- Steris Corporation (US)
- DuPont (US)
- Diversey, Inc. (US)
- Reckitt Benckiser Group plc (UK)
- Bio-Cide International, Inc. (US)
Disinfectant chemicals producers should comply with various global and regional regulations that include Affordable Care Act (ACA), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Center for Infectious Diseases (CDC), European REACH, US EPA, and US FDA. REACH is a European Union regulation which positions Europe as a leader in the control of chemical substance. Different countries have different disinfectant protocols, however, to remain competitive in the global economy, governments in various parts have aligned their national regulations with REACH.
Government regulations on disinfectant chemicals
- Regulations on the usage of surface disinfectants
- Increasing prevalence of HAIs
- Rising per capita healthcare expenditure
- Volatile raw material prices
- Presence of alternative technologies
- Chlorine and derivatives: Chlorine compounds generally have universal disinfectant properties. They have bleaching and germicidal properties and a broad spectrum of antimicrobial properties. With proper concentration and contact time, they are considered as an effective disinfectant and sterilant. Hypochlorites are the most common chlorine disinfectants used widely due to their broad range of antiviral and antibacterial properties.
- Quaternary ammonium compounds: This segment is expected to witness the fastest growth in the global disinfectant chemicals market. They are also known as quats or QACS. These are cationic compounds, which are attracted to negatively charged surfaces of microorganisms, where they bind irreversibly with phospholipids and deactivate the cell membrane. They are generally found in wipes, sprays, and other household cleaners and are considered as a low-level disinfectant.
- Phenolic compounds: Phenols have long been used as a disinfectant and have a wide spectrum of antimicrobial properties. They are generally used in lower concentrations due to the toxic effect of concentrate phenol.
- Alcohols and aldehydes: Alcohols and aldehydes are widely used as general-purpose disinfectants and account for the largest market share in the global market. Alcohols such as ethanol and isopropanol are used in 70-90% concentration as an excellent general use disinfectant to kill lipophilic viruses. Aldehydes, such as formaldehyde and glutaraldehyde, are effective against bacteria, fungi, viruses, microbacteria and spores. Alcohols and aldehydes account for the largest share of the global market.
- Hydrogen peroxide: Hydrogen peroxide is effective against a broad range of microorganisms, such as bacteria, yeasts, fungi, viruses, and spores. It is a safe alternative to chlorine bleaches. It has been widely used in the spray vans and hospitals for the containment of COVID-19.
- Others: The others segment includes oxidizing agents, such as peracetic acids, peroxides, biguanides, alkalis, etc.
- Air disinfectants: They are available in the form of sprays that are capable of disinfecting microbes suspended in the air. They are not widely used due to the slower adoption of air disinfectants and the formation of aerosols. However, air disinfectants are found to be used widely during the outbreak of COVID-19 to prevent the spreading of the virus.
- Water disinfectants: This is the most common form of disinfectant and accounts for the largest share in the global market. Water disinfectants are widely used to control HAIs, and households and healthcare institutional cleaners.
- Surface disinfectants: This segment is projected to witness the fastest growth in the global disinfectant chemicals market. This is due to the increase in demand from the healthcare industry to disinfect medical devices, patients, and surroundings. Additionally, they are widely used in research laboratories and household cleaners.
- Hospitals: This segment holds the largest share in the global disinfectant chemicals market. With the growing prevalence of HAIs and stringent government regulations on the use of disinfectants, the demand for disinfectant chemicals in the hospitals is expected to be high.
- Clinics: Disinfectant chemicals are widely used in clinics for disinfecting medical devices and instruments, and the surroundings. Strict government regulations on disinfecting clinics are further driving the growth of the market.
- Research and diagnostic laboratories: This segment is expected to witness the fastest growth in the global disinfectant chemicals market. The growth is attributed to the rising investments in industries, such as biotechnology and pharmaceuticals, globally.
- Others: The others segment includes households, food and beverage industry, and institutions, such as schools, colleges, and malls.
- North America: The North American market for disinfectant chemicals is driven by the presence of extensive healthcare infrastructure and an increase in the prevalence of HAIs in Canada.
- Europe: The market in Europe is projected to witness a demand for disinfectant chemicals due to the rising geriatric population, large number of healthcare service programs, and mandatory use of disinfectants by government bodies, such as EPA.
- Asia-Pacific: Asia-Pacific is the fastest-growing regional market on account of the growing healthcare expenditure in the region. The growth potential is in emerging economies, such as India, China, Thailand, and others.
- Middle East & Africa: The demand for disinfectant chemicals is rising due to the increasing focus on improving healthcare facilities and rising awareness among the end users.
- Latin America: The Latin American market is projected to witness notable demand for disinfectant chemicals due to the growing prevalence of HAIs in the region.
Speak to Analyst
Ask for Customization
USD 5 Billion (2019) USD 7.2 Billion (2027)
CAGR of 5% (2027)
Value (USD Billion)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
By Composition, By Type, By End User
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
3M (US), Cantel Medical (US), STERIS plc (US), Akzo Nobel NV (Netherlands), Evonik Industries AG (Germany), Betco (US), Ecolab (US), The Clorox Company (US), Johnson & Johnson (US), Steris Corporation (US), DuPont (US), Diversey, Inc. (US), Reckitt Benckiser Group plc (UK), Bio-Cide International, Inc. (US)
Key Market Opportunities
The growth of the disinfectant chemicals market is the growing prevalence of healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) Growing healthcare investments by government bodies across the globe, and rising geriatric population in developed economies
Key Market Drivers
Regulations on the usage of surface disinfectants\r\nIncreasing prevalence of HAIs\r\nRising per capita healthcare expenditure
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
The market size in 2019 was close to USD 5 Billion.
The availability of alternative technology, such as UV radiation can act as a market growth deterrent in the years to follow.
Quaternary ammonium compounds segment can note the fastest growth rate in the market.
The hospitals segment holds the biggest share in the global market.
The North American market for disinfectant chemicals is driven by the presence of extensive healthcare infrastructure and an increase in the prevalence of HAIs in Canada.