Pune, India, Sep 2022, MRFR Press Release/Market Research Future has published a Cooked Research Report on the Global Disinfectant Chemicals Market.
According to the MRFR analysis, the global disinfectant chemicals market size was valued at USD 4,389.22 million in 2022 and is projected to reach USD 6.2 Billion by 2032 at a CAGR of 8.89%.
The growth of the global disinfectant chemicals market is attributed to the increasing hygiene standard & increasing prevalence of diseases and the rising awareness of personal hygiene and wellness. Additionally, the technological advancements & presence of different methods will provide growth opportunities for the market in the future. However, the rising awareness regarding the toxicity of chemical surface disinfectants might hamper the market's growth in the forecast period.
The global disinfectant chemicals market is highly fragmented and consists of many organized and unorganized industry players. Manufacturers focus mainly on expansion of production capacities, continuous product launch, and collaborations with key stakeholders to gain a competitive advantage over other players. Key players include Johnson & Johnson Servieces, Inc., 3M, Reckitt Benckiser Group plc, Ecolab Inc., The Clorox Company, Kemin Industries, Inc., Diversey Holdings, Ltd., STERIS plc, ABC Compounding Co., Inc., Medline Industries, LP, and others.
- Alcohols: Alcohol is an organic compound used in healthcare and pharmaceutical settings as an antimicrobial agent. Ethyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol are the major water-soluble chemical compounds that are widely incorporated across medical facilities as disinfectants. In addition, alcohols are frequently used as solid surface disinfectants due to their antimicrobial properties. Ethyl alcohol with 60%-80% concentration is an effective viricidal agent that is actively administered to nullify the effect of viruses such as influenza virus, herpes, vaccinia, adenovirus, rhinovirus, rotaviruses, and enterovirus. The occurrence of viral diseases due to viruses such as corona, zika, and measles morbillivirus has augmented the demand for alcohol across medical care facilities, diagnostic centers, and research centers.
- Chlorine Compounds: Chlorine compounds are used as a disinfectant in household and commercial chores for decades. Chlorine disinfectant property is known to eradicate pathogens such as viruses and bacteria by splitting up the chemical bonds into their molecules. Also, chlorine is known to oxidize the cellular material of the organisms causing lethal effects on the target microbes. Hypochlorite is one of the most frequently used chorine disinfectants available in solid or liquid form. As per the Centers for Diseases Control & Prevention (CDC), the most predominant hypochlorite aqueous solutions used across the US for household chores include sodium hypochlorite solutions with concentrations ranging between 5.25%–6.15%.
- Formaline: Formalin is a solution that is prepared using 37% of formaldehyde gas in water. Diluted 5% formaldehyde is reported to be an efficient disinfectant. The formalin can inactivate bacteria and viruses if diluted at a concentration of 0.2% to 0.4% in water. In addition, the 8% concentration of formalin is known to inactivate the polio virus in 10 minutes. Moreover, 4% of the formaldehyde solution acts as a tuberculocidal agent, and 2.5% of formaldehyde inactivates salmonella typhi in 10 minutes. Formaldehyde, a form of formalin is a high-level disinfectant, however, its medical application is limited in healthcare settings owing to its pungent odor and irritating fumes. Moreover, formaldehyde is used by pharmaceutical manufacturers to prepare viral vaccines for poliovirus and influenza. Also, it is used to preserve anatomic specimens in laboratories, institutes, and research centers.
- Peracetic Acid: Peracetic acid is a chemical oxidizer that is relevant in eliminating surface contaminants. It is an amalgam of acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide with a piercing odor and a pH of 2.8. Peracetic acid is significantly used in the food industry as a cleanser. It was used to free fruits and vegetables from bacteria and fungus in earlier times. However, the application of peracetic acid has diversified and is used in various industries as a disinfectant. Medical supplies are treated with peracetic acid due to their antiseptic properties and are widely used in biofilm formation in the pulp industry vertical.
- Others: Others segment includes glutaraldehyde, hydrogen peroxide, iodophors, ortho-phthalaldehyde, phenolics, and quaternary ammonium compounds. Glutaraldehyde is a chemical sterilant that is used as a disinfectant for medical devices such as endoscopes, dialyzers, spirometry tubing, respiratory therapy equipment, and dialysate delivery systems among others. Hydrogen Peroxide with germicidal properties can be used in disinfecting contact lenses, tonometer biprisms, ventilators, fabrics, and endoscopes. In addition, iodophors are used to disinfect blood culture bottles and medical tools, such as thermometers, endoscopes, and hydrotherapy tanks.
- Air Disinfectant: Air disinfectants are chemical compounds that are used in disinfecting microbes present in the atmosphere. These chemicals are available either in vapor form or in aerosol form. In addition. glycols are highly effective chemicals that are often used in disinfecting laboratory environments. Also, the food & beverage industry uses air disinfection products to prevent the migration of microbes inside the plant. However, air disinfection is effective but not economical as compared to other air sterilizing procedures such as ozone treatment and usage of HEPA filters.
- Water Disinfectant:Water disinfectants are chemicals that are used to improve the quality of water and make it available for specific use. These can be used for drinking, irrigation, industrial application, industrial treatment, water recreation, and river flow maintenance among others. Most commonly water disinfectants including chlorine and chloramine are used to treat public water systems. Other disinfectants used to treat water includes sodium hypochlorite, chlorine dioxide, and hydrogen peroxide among others.
- Surface Disinfectant: Surface disinfectants are chemicals that are used to sterilize solid surfaces by inactivating the actions of microorganisms or by destroying microbes. Chlorine-based disinfectants such as sodium hypochlorite are utilized as surface sterilizers across various industrial sectors. Additionally, other products used for surface sterilization include alcohol and hydrogen peroxide among others.
- Others: The others segment includes the human body and soil disinfectants. Human skin can be disinfected using chemicals such as chlorhexidine, povidone-iodine, alcohol-based solutions, and cetrimide. These chemicals have disinfectant and antiseptic properties that are specifically used during pre or post-surgical procedures for sterilizing skin. In addition, these products are used for wound cleansing and the treatment of skin disorders.
By End User
- Commercial & Residential: The disinfectant chemicals are widely incorporated into commercial and residential applications. These chemicals are stated to have 100% lethal effects on germs and bacteria. Also, the disinfectant should be tested and registered with Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to be considered a commercial quality disinfectant. EPA does extensive research to measure the effectiveness of disinfectants against microorganisms. The frequently used commercial disinfectant includes quats, iodophors, hypochlorite, peroxide, phenolics, and alcohol. Moreover, increasing usage of disinfectant chemicals in routine cleaning and sanitizing the floors and walls of residential areas is driving market growth.
- Medical & Healthcare: Medical & Healthcare is the leading user of disinfectants as medical procedures such as diagnosis, treatment, imaging, and therapy require a sterilized environment. The medical procedures are complex and are related to the individual’s life hence the hospitals, clinics, and imaging centers offer standard and sterilized atmospheres to minimize the risk of infection. These medical facilities significantly use disinfectants such as hypochlorite, accelerated hydrogen peroxide, quaternary ammonium, phenolics, and peracetic acid to sterilize the diagnosis and treatment environment. Also, the healthcare facility has incorporated the utilization of disinfectant wipes for instant cleaning.
- Other Industrial: Other industries include food & beverage, textile, and others. The disinfectant used in Food & beverages for cleaning applications includes Hypochlorites, Quaternary Ammonium Compounds, and Peroxyacetic Acid (PAA) among others. In addition, the food industry particularly uses sodium hypochlorite and chlorine dioxide as a sterilizer due to their high disinfection efficacy. Moreover, the textile industry uses quaternary ammonium salts, ethylene oxide, alcohols, aldehydes, azoles, and phenol derivatives for the eradication of micro-organisms.
- North America: The growth in the North American disinfectant chemicals market is mainly attributed to the increasing prevalence of infectious diseases such as pneumonia, common cold, COVID-19, and others. Moreover, the increasing prevalence of Hospital-Acquired Infections (HAI) contracted by patients while receiving treatment at hospitals will drive the regional market growth during the forecast period. For instance, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in January 2020, 1 in 25 patients in US hospitals suffer from HAI at any point in time. There are thousands of lives lost due to HAIs and billions of dollars spent as a result. Disinfectant chemicals are used to inhibit the growth of microorganisms present on floors and surfaces in residential, commercial, and industrial buildings.
- Europe: Europe accounts for the second-largest market share due to the increasing number of hospital admissions, increasing number of regional players involved in disinfectant chemicals, rising demand to maintain cleanliness & disinfect the surroundings, and growing healthcare expenditure.
- Asia-Pacific: Asia-Pacific is expected to emerge as the fastest-growing regional market due to various factors such as the increasing prevalence of infectious diseases such as tuberculosis, pneumonia, and others also fueling the regional growth of the disinfectant chemicals market. For instance, according to a study by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (US), in India, about 127,000 people die each year from pneumonia.
- Latin America: The growing medical tourism industry in Latin America is also boosting market growth during the forecast period. For instance, according to statistical data from Patients Beyond Borders (US), Mexico attracts from 200,000 to more than 1 million foreign patients a year, many of whom mainly come from the states of California, Arizona, and Texas.
- Middle East & Africa: Growing awareness and demand from the general population for home hygiene is also likely to favor the regional market growth.
Access Full Report Details - Disinfectant Chemicals Market size