Automotive Axle Market Overview
The global automotive axle market size is projected to expand USD 61,190 million at a CAGR of 5.10% during the forecast period 2022 - 2030. The global automotive axle market's shipment was recorded at 195 million units in 2019. There has been an increase in automotive production across the globe. The trends suggest that the rising consumer preference for hybrid and luxury vehicles with advanced technology is expected to fuel the market growth from 2022 to 2030. Besides, the commercialization of advanced technologies in the global market help to reduce the overall vehicle weight is anticipated to drive the market for the automotive axle.
The rising degree of consumer awareness concerning the need to reduce vehicular emission and fuel consumption has led to significant growth in the demand for hybrid vehicles. Hybrid vehicles in the market are driven by multiple power sources that reduce fuel consumption and enhance the driving experience. Thus, the rising demand for hybrid vehicles is also expected to fuel the demand for automotive axles.
Long trailers followed by the presence of heavy commercial vehicles have witnessed significant demand from Europe and North America. An extended trailer has around 6 to 8 axles to distribute the vehicle's overall load uniformly. Thus, there has been an increase in the demand for long trailers is anticipated to boost the demand for automotive axles between 2022 and 2030. For instance, in the European region, around 188,000 units of long trailers were sold in 2016. Moreover, demand for trailers is growing significantly due to their demand across the e-commerce industry. Hence, some of the leading trailer truck manufacturers plan to increase annual production capacity by around 10-20% by 2021.
COVID 19 Analysis
The automotive axle and propeller shaft market includes significant Tier I and II suppliers like ZF, GKN Automotive, Dana Incorporated, Meritor, Automotive axle & manufacturing, and others. The global automotive axle market suppliers have their manufacturing facilities spread across various countries across the Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, South America, and Middle East & Africa. The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted all of its businesses globally; these players have announced a temporary shutdown of production due to lockdown and also to protect the safety of their employees, which created lowered demand and supply chain disruptions in the US, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain during the COVID-19 pandemic.
As a result, the demand for overall automotive production has declined, directly affecting the automotive axle and propeller shaft market. The arrival of the COVID-19 crisis has brought about transformations such as digital platforms, touchless payments, and virtual dealerships in the automotive axle market.
The global automotive axle market manufacturers are signing collaborative agreements and striking alliances with automotive OEMs to strengthen their foothold in the market. For instance, in May 2019, one of the prominent companies - Dana Incorporated, supplied driveline technologies, including Spicer prop shafts and rear and front Spicer AdvanTEK axles, to General Motors Vehicle in South and North America.
Increasing demand for AWD and FWD vehicles and the growing popularity of hybrid and autonomous vehicles are key factors creating significant growth opportunities for automotive axle manufacturers. Besides, increasing demand for safer and more comfortable automobile functions has boosted the demand for technologically-advanced automotive axles market.
Thus, global companies are significantly investing in research and development activities to manufacture highly advanced automotive axles and secure their position in the market. For instance, in April 2019, the same company that is Dana Incorporated has started the production of the Spicer AdvanTEK Ultra axle with the Spicer SmartConnect disconnecting AWD system in China. The advancement is anticipated to result in a 45% reduction in loss of energy compared to the standard automotive axle, simultaneously improving the vehicle's fuel efficiency.
The fluctuating price of raw materials is one of the critical challenges faced by automotive axle manufacturers. Volatile prices of raw materials, such as aluminum, steel, and copper, can negatively impact automotive axle manufacturers' revenue and profit margins.
The passenger car segment is anticipated to hold a dominant share throughout the forecast period. Increasing production of passenger cars across emerging countries, including India, Mexico, Indonesia, and others like South Africa, is expected to influence the segment growth. Additionally, the rising production of Front Wheel Drive (FWD) and All-Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles is anticipated to encourage automotive axle manufacturers to develop advanced automotive axles for luxury and hybrid passenger cars. Penetration of the all-wheel-drive systems is higher in Europe and North America than in other regions.
The automotive axle market has been segmented based on the following to meet the rising needs of the global target audience for the continuous period that ends in 2027. The segments are mentioned as follows:
By Axle Position
- Asia Oceania
- North America
The Asia Pacific region had held a dominant share in the overall market in 2019, and the market in this region was valued at USD 29.87 billion. Demand for the automotive axle market functions in China is mainly driven by the rapid growth of the automotive sector in the country, which provides various lucrative opportunities for automotive axle manufacturers. Moreover, favorable government initiatives such as the Make in India campaign, which allows 100% foreign direct investment (FDI), are expected to boost vehicle production, consequently driving the market. The strong presence of prominent automotive axle manufacturers, such as Korea Flange Co. Ltd. and Hyundai Transys, Inc., is also anticipated to boost the market growth in the Asian Pacific region.
North America is projected to expand at a CAGR of 1.6%in terms of volume over the forecast period. The growth can be attributed to the growing demand for luxury cars and commercial vehicles. The U.S. held most of the share in the North American market in 2019. Around 8.32 million commercial vehicles and 2.54 million passenger vehicles were manufactured in 2019. Since 2015, the country has witnessed a perpetual decline in passenger car production.
The global automotive axle market is highly consolidated, with a few global and regional players holding a dominant share in the market during the period that ends in 2027. The key industry players include the following:
- The lift axle segment is projected to witness considerable growth from 2022 to 2030. The lift axle shipment was recorded at 2.4 million units in 2019 and is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 1.0% over the forecast period.
- The Heavy Commercial Vehicle (HCV) segment will expand at a revenue-based CAGR of 0.6% between 2020 and 2027. The growth can be attributed to the increasing production of HCVs, particularly across Europe and North America. The need for more than two axles in heavy commercial vehicles is estimated to provide growth opportunities for automotive axle manufacturers.
- The rear application segment dominated the market in 2019 and accounted for 56.1% in terms of volume. The growth can be attributed to the increasing production of commercial vehicles across the developed and emerging economies, as most commercial vehicles have rear-driven axles. Additionally, the growth of the logistics industry is expected to surge the demand for the extended trailer, subsequently influencing the segment growth over the forecast period.
- The front application segment is estimated to exhibit a value-based CAGR of 1.4% from 2020 to 2027. The growth can be attributed to the increasing production of economy and mid-range segment cars. Moreover, the market is witnessing a rise in the penetration of all-wheel-drive vehicles, such as four-wheel-drive (4WD), six-wheel-drive (6WD), and eight-wheel-drive (8WD), is estimated to contribute to the segment growth over the forecast period.
The automotive axle market report has been prepared to understand the functions of the market, followed by the market requirements that are likely to be fulfilled with the help of the market resources and investments for the continuous period ending in 2030. The global market has been prepared to understand the effect of the pandemic outbreak and also know the basics of the market segments, followed by the role of the regional and international players as per their recent developments for the period.
| Market Size
| USD 61,190.00 Million By 2030
| 5.10% CAGR (2022-2030)
| Base Year
| Forecast Period
| 2022 to 2030
| Historical Data
| Forecast Units
| Value (USD Million)
| Report Coverage
| Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
| Segments Covered
| Type, Material, Propeller Shaft Type,
| Geographies Covered
| North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
| Key Vendors
| ZF Friedrichshafen AG (Germany), American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc. (U.S.), Meritor, Inc. (U.S.), Showa Corporation (Japan), GKN Plc (U.K.) and ELBE Gelenkwellen-Service GmbH(Germany).
| Key Market Opportunities
| Focus on improving power and drivetrain systems encompassing components such as clutch, transmission, and propeller shaft and rear axle
| Key Market Drivers
| Increasing acceptance of hybrid and electric vehicles and integration of smart and advanced gearing technology Growing vehicle demand as well as engineering advancement for improving performance of vehicle
Automotive Axle Market Highlights:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
Automotive axle market to grow at a 5.10% CAGR through 2030
Automotive Axle Market is projected to expand USD 61,190 Million during the forecast period 2022 to 2030
GKN Plc (U.K.), Showa Corporation (Japan), and ELBE Gelenkwellen-Service GmbH(Germany) are some reputed companies in the automotive axle market.
Carbon fiber and alloy are extensively used for the production of automotive axle.
Multi piece propeller shafts are used mostly in automotive axle. Other type of propeller shafts used is single type.
Key Questions Answered
Request Free Sample
- ✅Global Market Outlook
- ✅In-depth analysis of global and regional trends
- ✅Analyze and identify the major players in the market, their market share, key developments, etc.
- ✅To understand the capability of the major players based on products offered, financials, and strategies.
- ✅Identify disrupting products, companies, and trends.
- ✅To identify opportunities in the market.
- ✅Analyze the key challenges in the market.
- ✅Analyze the regional penetration of players, products, and services in the market.
- ✅Comparison of major players’ financial performance.
- ✅Evaluate strategies adopted by major players.
Why Choose Market Research Future?
Speak to Analyst
- ✅Vigorous research methodologies for specific market.
- ✅Knowledge partners across the globe
- ✅Large network of partner consultants.
- ✅Ever-increasing/ Escalating data base with quarterly monitoring of various markets
- ✅Trusted by fortune 500 companies/startups/universities/organizations
- ✅Large database of 5000+ markets reports.
- ✅Effective and prompt pre- and post-sales support.