Antiemetics Market Synopsis
Antiemetics Market is expected to cross USD 6.7 Billion by 2025 at a CAGR of 6.6%. Antiemetics are agents that help to block specific neurotransmitters in the human body. Vomiting and nausea are commonly very stressful indications that have multiple triggers, including motion, vestibular disease, pregnancy, fear, drugs, migraine, and gastrointestinal pathology. One of the most common causes of patient dissatisfaction after anesthesia include postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV). There are various antiemetics agents available for the treatment of nausea and vomiting, including; dopamine antagonists, anticholinergics, antihistamines, serotonin antagonists, and others. The key players manufacturing these products include GSK, Merck, and Pfizer Inc. As these players generate their maximum revenue from the Americas for the market, the region accounted for significant share across the globe.
Antiemetics Market Influencer
The significant factors influencing the growth of the market include increasing research & development funding in the pharmaceutical industry, an increasing number of pregnancy-induced nausea, and acute gastroenteritis. Moreover, the rising demand for novel therapeutics and the growing prevalence of PONV is responsible for positive market growth.
Antiemetics Market Drivers
- Increasing prevalence of gastroenteritis. For example, annually, acute gastroenteritis leads to 1.5 million patient visits to primary care clinics and accounts for 10% of all hospital admissions in the US.
- Increasing prevalence of PONV. For instance, according to a study, it was found that PONV occurs in almost 30% of the general surgical population and up to 70 to 80% of high-risk surgical patients.
- Increasing demand for novel therapeutics has influenced the growth of the market
- Increasing government funding for research
- Rising focus on personalized medicine
Antiemetics Market Restraints
- Regulatory approval for antiemetics has been the primary factor hampering the growth of the market.
Antiemetics Market Segmentation
- Dopamine Antagonists: Dopamine antagonists accounted for the largest segment and has been further divided into phenothiazines (chlorpromazine and prochlorperazine), butyrophenones (droperidol and domperidone), and benzamides (metoclopramide). Metoclopramide is the most commonly used antiemetic that is used on both the chemoreceptor trigger zone and on gastrointestinal (GIT) motility. It has been approved for perioperative and chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting.
- Anticholinergics: Includes hyoscine, an ester of tropic acid, and scopine. According to a study, it is found that it is effective for the treatment of PONV.
- Antihistamines: Includes piperazine derivative, i.e., cyclizine, and is available as a tablet or solution for IV or IM injection. It was approved for the treatment of radiotherapy-induced emesis, PONV, motion sickness, opioid-induced emesis, and is also used for symptom control in Ménière’s disease.
- Serotonin (5-HT3) Antagonists: Has been further segmented into ondansetron and granisetron and is available in both tablet form and as a solution for slow IV injection.
- Cannabinoids: This was approved for chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. This segment accounted for the least market share due to adverse effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, psychotic reactions, dry mouth, hypotension, and tachycardia.
- Others: This segment includes dexamethasone and propofol.
By Drug Type
- Prescription: Accounted for the significant market share and includes major drug brands such as Ondansetron, Zofran, Promethazine, Phenergan, Zofran ODT, Metoclopramide, and Ativan.
- Over-the-Counter OTC: accounted for the least market share due to low cost.
Antiemetics Market By Application
- Postoperative Surgery: Accounted for the largest market share based on application; this is majorly attributed due to increasing postoperative procedures and the use of general anesthesia.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy is a widely used cancer treatment. A lot of chemotherapy drugs can cause nausea and vomiting. Chemotherapy is expected to be the fastest-growing segment. This is attributable to the increasing adoption of chemotherapy.
- Pregnancy: Nausea and vomiting are widespread occurrences during pregnancy and is usually resolved within16 to 20 weeks of maturation. It is estimated that about 85% of women experience nausea during this period of time.
- Stomach Flu: Commonly known as gastroenteritis, accounted for least market share as the majority of the patients get treated through home remedies or OTC products.
By Distribution Channel
- Retail Pharmacy: Retail pharmacy or drug store plays a prominent role in the distribution of antiemetics drugs. The presence of a considerable number of retail pharmacies engaged in selling drugs is expected to contribute to the market growth of the segment.
- Hospital Pharmacy: Hospital pharmacy is a department of the hospital that is responsible for the procurement, storage, preservation, packaging, sterilization, compounding, preparation, dispensing, or distribution of medicines within the hospital premises. The market share of the segment is mainly attributed to the patients treated in hospitals, as post-admission patients generally prefer to purchase drugs for the treatment from the hospital pharmacies.
- Online: The increasing adoption of the Internet for purchasing drugs is expected to contribute to the market growth of the segment.
Antiemetics Market By Region
- Americas: Accounted for the largest market share attributed to the increasing R&D funding in the pharmaceutical industry and the presence of significant manufacturers generating maximum revenue in this region. Furthermore, increasing postoperative procedures boosting the growth of the market.
- Europe: Accounted for the second-largest market share majorly due to increasing government awareness regarding personalized medicine.
- Asia-Pacific: Expected to grow at the fastest CAGR, Asia-Pacific is seeking opportunities and continuously growing economies due to factors large population, increasing per capita disposable incomes, and growing awareness among patients low manufacturing costs, and rising demand for superior pharmaceutical products.
- Middle East & Africa: The smallest market due to limited healthcare infrastructure in this region.
Antiemetics Market Key Players
- GSK (UK)
- Merck (US)
- Sanofi-Aventis (France)
- Pfizer Inc. (US)
- Mylan (US)
- Eli Lilly and Company (US)
- Johnson & Johnson (US)
- Baxter International (US)
- Reddy's Laboratories Inc. (India)