Vitrectomy Devices Market Forecast
The global vitrectomy devices market is expected to cross ~USD 1,900 million by 2030 at a CAGR of ~6.5%.
Vitrectomy devices are essential medical accessories and tools required for vitrectomy. A vitrectomy is a type of eye surgery that treats different conditions related to vitreous and retina. The major signs and symptoms of eye problems are seeing floating cobwebs or specks, distorted or blurred vision, faults in the side vision, and lost vision. The surgery is done to remove and replace the vitreous with another solution. Vitreous is a gel-type of substance, which is filled in the middle of the eye. To certify, the surgery is concluded with safety and ideal results, particular vitrectomy surgery equipment, such as vitrectomy supplies and systems, are used. The commonly used vitrectomy devices are vitrectomy machines, tamponades, scissors, light pipes, probes, and lasers. The advanced vitrectomy techniques offer the latest technological advancements and high performance to enable surgeons are to provide the optimal care for the patients. The technique is also used to avoid traction in retinal detachment. This causes smoothening of the procedure for different ophthalmic surgeries also prevents detachment of the retina anymore. Moreover, vitrectomy allows restoring of the vision loss due to the vitreous humor bleeding.
The growing number of cases of retinal damage and eye problems due to the rising geriatric population is one of the key factors attributing to the market growth. As per National Institute on Aging (NIA), the old-aged people numbers are anticipated to achieve 72 million by 2030, which will drive ophthalmic disorders. Furthermore, rising cases of hospital admissions for retinal surgeries such as vitrectomy is estimated to propel the market growth.
The occurrence of the pandemic has impacted people across the globe and caused in the shutdown of operational facilities worldwide. The healthcare industry is facing exceptional encounters during the lockdown phase. The manufacturing units were shut down, which also affected the production of medical products. The supply chain of the medical products was also affected, leading to the decrease in warehouse inventory of the manufactured products.
COVID-19 negatively impacted the global vitrectomy devices market owing to the reduced medical setting visits of ophthalmic care hospitals to prevent the prevalence of infection. Furthermore, patients suffering with COVID-19 have to witness ophthalmic problems such as conjunctivitis that is responsible for the restriction of the medical professionals to operate the ophthalmic surgeries. The introduction of guidelines by the government to provide effective and constant medical care along with ophthalmology is expected to propel the market growth during the forecast period.
Increasing prevalence of diabetes
- The high prevalence of diabetes has resulted in an increased number of cases of diabetic retinopathy. It is a condition that occurs due to damage to the retina's blood vessels of people with diabetes. People with diabetes type 1 or type 2 are more susceptible to developing diabetic retinopathy. There are two types of diabetic retinopathy Nonproliferative Diabetic Retinopathy (NPDR) and Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy (PDR).
- According to the International Diabetes Federation (IDF), nearly 463 million adults aged 20-79 years were suffering from diabetes. This is estimated to rise to 700 million by the year 2045. The increasing prevalence of eye injuries, retinal disorders, and diabetes are the major driving factor for the market.
- Increasing awareness related to eye-related diseases and available treatment options
- Growing demand for minimal invasive techniques for eye surgeries is bolstering the market development
Concerns related to the risk of vitrectomy
- The risks linked with vitrectomy are anticipated to hamper the market growth. There is a high chance of cataract occurrence in patients' undergone vitrectomy, hindering its acceptance. Furthermore, the deficiency of professional ophthalmologists for the operations of advanced vitrectomy devices has restricted the growth of the global vitrectomy devices market.
The vitrectomy devices are the devices used for performing a vitrectomy. These devices allow the surgeon to carry out the surgery efficiently with low invasionThe devices are advanced and make the surgery less invasive. The technological advancements in the field is introducing highly advanced devices. These devices are of great application for the development of the market in the projected time period. Looking forward, robotics will play a major role in vitrectomy. The technology will enable the surgeon to perform gentle tasks without damaging adjacent tissues. Some of the latest improvements are 27-ga. Vitrectomy systems. It includes 3-D imaging as well as a 4K resolution camera. This allows the surgeons to operate on a patient with ease and accuracy.
- Vitrectomy Machines: The segment is estimated to demonstrate the largest revenue share in the market. The machines are equipped with advanced features such as high cut rates, improvised fluidics, intraocular pressure, and small gauge size.
- Vitrectomy Packs: The packs are rising in demand for removal of vitreous from the retina and epiretinal membrane, detachment of posterior vitreous, and retinal surgery.
- Photocoagulation Lasers: The laser assists in destroying or shrinking abnormal retina structures, and this increases the accuracy of the operation.
- Illumination Devices: These devices are used to produce light during the vitreoretinal surgery for better visibility to the surgeon. The commonly used source for illumination are metal halide, halogen, LED, Xenon, and Mercury vapor.
- Macular Hole: The segment is expected to dominate the market. The macular hole is a tiny breakage in the macula, placed at the centre of the retina.
- Diabetic Retinopathy: The segment is expected to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period. The fast pace of rising cases of diabetic retinopathy around the world is driving the segment in the near future.
- Retinal Detachment: Retinal detachment is a condition mainly observed in patients with high myopia. The increasing occurrence of high myopia is boosting market growth.
- Vitreous Haemorrhage: Vitreous hemorrhage is the leakage of blood into various spaces developed within or around the vitreous body. The condition can form directly due to neovascularization of retina or retinal tears.
- Others: The other applications of vitrectomy includes injury to eye and infection in eyes.
- Hospitals: The segment is expected to grow at a significant rate. This is attributed to the increasing acceptance of vitrectomy surgeries and the surge in hospitals providing ophthalmic care such as vitrectomy.
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers: The segment is estimated to show a rapid pace of development. This is attributed to the increasing number of ambulatory surgery centres in developing and underdeveloped countries.
- Ophthalmic Clinics: These are general clinics for the professional doctors. Mostly this includes general physician or ophthalmologists. The patient receives consultation and primary treatment for the problem related to eye
Regional AnalysisNorth America
Growing prevalence of diabetes across the region is driving the North American vitrectomy devices market
- North America held the largest market share in vitrectomy devices market in 2020, owing to the rising prevalence of diabetes. As per the National Diabetes Statistics, nearly 9.4% of the total United States population is suffering from diabetes. Moreover, as per the National Eye Institute, around 7.7 million people of America were diagnosed with retinopathy and the cases is estimated to be 11.3 million by the year 2030. These numbers demonstrates surge in growth of the market in the region. The well-established research organizations engaged in product development, availability of innovative diagnostic products, and the presence of major players such as BVI (US), Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. (US), and MedOne Surgical, Inc (US) in the region further fuel the growth of the market. The prominent players are involved in engaging in collaborations and partnerships, expanding their operational facilities across the region, and launching new products for business growth.
Growing number of ophthalmic related patients in the region is boosting the vitrectomy devices market
- Asia Pacific comprises large number of patients with eye-related diseases. The region is witnessing rising awareness in the population regarding the diseases related to eye. Furthermore, the government in the region are also boosting awareness and research and development activities to increase contribution of private players to introduce advance technology in the market. These factors are improving the market growth of the region. The developing healthcare infrastructure of the region as well as rise in investment is propelling the market growth in the region.
- The vitrectomy devices market is profitable, both for existing players as well as new entrants. Our analysis revealed that market players adopt different strategies and innovative R&D techniques to expand their business and secure their position in the market. Top players that offer vitrectomy devicess such Alcon Inc. (Switzerland), Bausch & Lomb Incorporated (Canada), BVI (US), NIDEK Co., Ltd. (Japan), Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. (US), Blink Medical (UK), Topcon Corporation (Japan), Carl Zeiss Meditec AG (Germany), Hoya Surgical Optics (Singapore), HAAG-STREIT GROUP (Switzerland) and MedOne Surgical, Inc (US). The industry players are coming up with various business strategies to increase their market presence. The companies invest in R&D activities to expand their product portfolio, further driving the vitrectomy devices market growth. In addition, the market players are adopting various strategies such as mergers & acquisitions, contractual agreements, new product launches, increasing investments in R&D, and partnering with other players to expand their global footprint.
List of Key Companies Covered in this Report:
- Alcon Inc. (Switzerland)
- Bausch & Lomb Incorporated (Canada)
- BVI (US)
- NIDEK CO., LTD. (Japan)
- Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. (US)
- Blink Medical (UK)
- Topcon Corporation (Japan)
- Carl Zeiss Meditec AG (Germany)
- Hoya Surgical Optics (Singapore)
- HAAG-STREIT GROUP (Switzerland)
- MedOne Surgical, Inc (US)
- In August 2021, Alcon(Switzerland), one of the leading providers of the eye care solutions entered into an agreement with Ivantis,manufacturer of the novel Hydrus Microstent. This acquisitions helps Alcon to strengthen its industry-leading portfolio across cataract, refractive, retina and glaucoma.
- In October 2021, Bausch + Lomb (Canada), one of the leading players in eye health business launched Biotrue Eye Care Recycling program, first and only eye care recycling program in the US. The program enabled it’s consumers to properly recycle all brands of their eye drop single dose units, lens cases and lens solution caps.
- In October 2021, NIDEK CO., LTD. (Japan) established NIDEK Experience Center. This center enable visitors to experience the latest innovations from NIDEK and learb learn them from the expert clinicians, NIDEK experts, and core engineers.
- The study covers the existing short-term and long-term market effects, as well as helping decision-makers to draught short-term and long-term plans for businesses by region. The report covers major regions in North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Rest of the World. The report analyzes market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, Porter's Five Forces, value chain, and impact of COVID on the market.
Scope of the Report & Segmentation
- Vitrectomy machines
- Vitrectomy packs
- Photocoagulation lasers
- Illumination devices
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Retinal detachment
- Macular hole
- Vitreous hemorrhage
- Ophthalmic Clinics
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers