Transarterial Chemoembolization (TACE) Market is expected to cross USD 2777.22 Million by 2025 at a CAGR of 8.57%.
The increasing prevalence of liver cancer is expected to drive the growth of the global transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) market. Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is fifth cancer in terms of incidence and the second leading cause of cancer death for men worldwide. The incidence of HCC is highest in Asia and Africa.
Transarterial chemoembolization is the current standard of therapy for patients with intermediate-stage hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). Conventional TACE is considered as a standard treatment for HCC. However, systemic toxicity induced by conventional TACE in some cases has led to the introduction of drug-eluting bead TACE. DEB-TACE uses microspheres as drug carriers, which reduces the concentration of chemotherapeutic in the systemic circulation of patients.
Increasing incidence of HCC is strongly fueling the transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) market. HCC accounts for approximately 70% to 90% of all primary liver cancers and is the third most fatal cancer worldwide. Among all the palliative therapies, transarterial chemoembolization is recommended for inoperable HCC patients. However, HCC always needs multiple cycles of TACE treatments.
- Increasing prevalence of hepatocellular carcinoma: HCC has an annual incidence of approximately 750,000 cases per year worldwide. Its incidence continues to increase due to the increasing incidence of hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis C virus (HCV) infections.
- Increasing spending on the pharmaceutical industry
- Growing drug consumption and drug development rates
- Increasing R&D expenditure
- Dearth of skilled healthcare professionals
By Procedure Type
- Conventional TACE: Conventional TACE dominated the transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) market as it is one of the oldest procedures used in HCC cases. Conventional TACE involves the infusion of chemotherapeutic drugs blended with lipiodol and embolic agents into the cancer-feeding artery
- DEB-TACE: This segment is expected to witness the fastest growth. DEB-TACE allows higher concentrations of drugs to the target tumor and lower systemic concentrations, compared with conventional TACE
- Unresectable HCC: TACE is a major treatment modality for unresectable HCC. The liver tumor which is not eligible for resection therapy given the extent of disease is considered as unresectable HCC
- Early-Stage HCC: In case of early-stage HCC, TACE is recommended if resection or local ablation is not feasible
By Product Type
- Chemotherapeutic Agents: Held the largest market share in 2018. Doxorubicin, cisplatin, and mitomycin are most commonly used in the TACE procedure. Doxorubicin is the most widely used chemotherapeutic agent for TACE of HCC. The dose of doxorubicin generally ranges from 30 to 75 mg/m2
- Radiotherapeutic Agents: TACE with radiotherapeutic agents is the most expensive treatment for liver tumors.
- Drug-eluting Particles: Drug-eluting beads have been imposed as novel drug-delivering agents for TACE. DC Beads is one of the most commonly used Drug-eluting beads. These beads are nonbiodegradable PVA microspheres, loaded with calibrated doxorubicin
- Hospitals & Clinics: Its hold largest market share can be attributed to an increase in the number of patients afflicted by HCC, coupled with a rise in a number of hospitals, and quality care, and availability of skilled and qualified professionals.
- Cancer Research Centers: This is the fastest-growing segment due to increasing research funding for the development of effective treatment of HCC
- Americas: The largest regional market. Increasing awareness about HCC and early diagnosis is strongly boosting the transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) market in this region. The American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases thus recommends hepatic imaging every six months among patients at risk for HCC
- Europe: Europe has some of the best healthcare services in the world. Rising healthcare expenditure is one of the key drivers in Europe transarterial chemoembolization (TACE) market. The European Commission (EC) reported that in 2017, the total government expenditure in the European Union (EU) accounted for 45.8% of the gross domestic product (GDP) and government expenditure on health as a proportion of GDP was 7.0%.
- Asia-Pacific: The fastest-growing regional market for transarterial chemoembolization (TACE), Asia-Pacific, has the world’s largest population and increasing prevalence for hepatocellular The vast majority of cases have been observed in Asian countries. China alone representing half of the worldwide cases. In Asia, 70-80% of all hepatocellular carcinoma is attributable to hepatitis B virus, with the notable exception of Japan, where hepatitis C is the main factor.
- Middle East & Africa: The Middle East and Africa is majorly divided into two regions, i.e., the Middle East and Africa. The presence of favorable government initiatives and recent healthcare reforms and developing healthcare infrastructure in the Middle East is expected to augment the market growth over the forecast period of 2019 to 2025.
- Advaxis Inc. (US)
- Baxter (US)
- Bellicum Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (US)
- Boston Scientific Corporation (US)
- Cook (US)
- Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC (UK)
- Isofol Medical AB (Sweden)
- Nippon Kayaku Co., Ltd. (Japan)
- Novartis (Switzerland)
- Pfizer (US)
- Sirtex SIR-Spheres Pty Ltd. (Australia)
- Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (US)
- Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine Co., Ltd. (China)
2025: USD 2777.22 Million 2027: Significant Value
Value (USD Million)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Procedure Type, Product Type, End User
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Advaxis Inc. (US), Baxter (US), Bellicum Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (US), Boston Scientific Corporation (US), Cook (US), Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC (UK), Isofol Medical AB (Sweden), Nippon Kayaku Co. Ltd. (Japan), Novartis (Switzerland), Pfizer (US), Sirtex SIR-Spheres Pty Ltd. (Australia), Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc. (US), Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine Co. Ltd. (China)
Key Market Opportunities
New product launches and R&D Amongst major key Players
Key Market Drivers
Increasing prevalence of hepatocellular carcinoma\r\nIncreasing spending on the pharmaceutical industry\r\nGrowing drug consumption and drug development rates\r\nIncreasing R&D expenditure
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
The Transarterial Chemoembolization (TACE) Market CAGR would be 8.57% during the forecast period.
The market size was USD 1559.2 million in 2018.
The deb-tace segment would lead to the market.
The unresectable HCC segment holds the maximum market share.
The chemotherapeutic agents segment has the upper hand.
This table of content is tentative and subject to change as the research progresses.
Please Note: Financial details of company cannot be provided if the information of the company is not available in public domain and or reliable source.