Sodium Chlorate Market Overview
According to MRFR analysis, Sodium Chlorate Market was valued at USD 5.74 Million and is projected to register a CAGR of 4.6%.
Sodium chlorate abbreviated as NaClO3, is a white crystalline industrial salt produced by electrolysis of sodium chloride (NaCl). It is primarily used in the elemental chlorine-free (ECF) chemical bleaching process. According to the EU Chemical Agency, ECF process accounts for 93% of all chemically bleached pulp in the European Union. The product is widely used in the pulp and paper industry, as well as chemical intermediate in the development of plant protection products and explosives. Moreover, it is used in dyes, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, defoliants, and leather manufacturing.
The growth of the sodium chlorate market highly depends on the growth of the pulp & paper industry. About 80–90% of sodium chlorate is used in the production of chlorine dioxide, which is employed as a bleaching agent in pulp processing. The growing demand for hygiene products such as sanitary products, tissues, wipes, and paper toilets is boosting the demand for chlorine dioxide, which consequently drives the growth of the global sodium chlorate market. In 2018, the global paper and paperboard production was around 390 million tons and expected to cross 490 million tons by 2020. This is expected to fuel the demand for sodium chlorate during the forecast period. Moreover, the growing need for cardboard packaging in correspondence to the e-commerce industry is likely to fuel the demand for sodium chlorate in paper production.
In addition, sodium chlorate has oxidizing property, which is increasing application in tanning and finishing leather and manufacturing dyes. Rapid urbanization, changing lifestyles and a rise in disposable income are likely to drive the growth of the textile industry, thus, expected to propel the demand for sodium chlorate.
In 2018, the top five importers of the sodium chlorate were the US, Japan, Russia, Sweden, and Portugal, while major exporters were Canada, the US, China, Italy, and Spain. The trade observed in the global market is unfavorable due to a shortage in supply and difficulty in the transportation and logistics of hazardous materials.
In 2010, the European Union restricted the use of plant protection products (herbicides) containing chlorate. In accordance with the European Commission, under Regulation No. 396/2005, the maximum residue limit (MRL) of 0.01 mg/kg is valid for unauthorized substances such as chlorates residues in food products.
The United States Environmental protection Agency classified sodium chlorate for use as a desiccant in agricultural sites in 1968. According to the US EPA, approximately 2.8 million pounds of sodium chlorate is used in agricultural, residential and commercial sites annually in the US. Similarly, drinking water standard for chlorate ion is set for 0.03 mg/kg/day.
- Arkema SA (France)
- Nouryon (The Netherlands)
- ERCO (Canada)
- Kemira (Finland)
- Merck KGaA (Germany)
- China First Chemical Holdings Limited (China)
- HARKE GROUP (Germany)
- Tronox Holdings plc (US)
- Chemtrade (Canada)
- Brenntag AG (Germany)
- Ercros S.A (Spain)
- Inner Mongolia Lantai Industrial Co. Ltd. (China)
- Lianyungang Xingang Chemical Co., Ltd. (China)
- Surging demand for pulp and paper in paperboards, hygiene products, and chemical manufacturing.
- Growing use of sodium chlorate in explosives and mining activities
- Rapidly expanding agricultural industry across the globe
- Growing demand for sodium chlorate in leather tanning and dyes applications
- Availability of substitutes
- Stringent regulations regarding the use of sodium chlorate owing to harmful effects on the environment
- Crystalline: The segment accounted for the largest share of 70% in 2018 due to the surging demand for chlorine dioxide, which is extensively used as a pulp bleaching agent.
- Solution: Sodium chlorate in solution form possess oxidizing property, which can be readily used in explosive mixture. The dry salt formed by the evaporation of water can decompose to produce oxygen gas. This segment is expected to register a moderate CAGR owing to the growing demand for explosives in the defense and mining industries.
- Pulp & Paper: The pulp & paper segment accounted for the largest market share of more than 80% in 2018. This is mainly due to the high use of sodium chlorate in the production of chlorine dioxide, which acts as a pulp bleaching agent. The rising demand for wood pulp to manufacture paper and paperboard on account of growing trading activities is one of the factors driving the growth of the segment.
- Chemical Intermediate: The segment held the second-largest market share in 2018 and is expected to witness healthy growth during the forecast period. Sodium chlorate is widely used as a chemical intermediate in potassium chlorate, which is an active ingredient in the manufacturing of explosives. The growth of the market is attributed to the use of the product in the textile and printing industries.
- Uranium Mining: Increasing nuclear power generation and production of nuclear weapons for safety and security purposes across the globe is likely to favor the growth of the segment.
- Water Treatment: Due to the biocidal capability of chlorine dioxide, it can be used as a disinfectant and as an oxidizing agent in water treatment. The application of chlorine dioxide in wastewater treatment is likely to drive the market growth.
- Leather Tanning: The growing demand for leather tanning and finishing dyes owing to changing standard of living and rise in disposable income are likely to drive the market growth
- Others: Some of the other important applications of sodium chlorate are pharmaceutical, vanadium mining, metal treatment, and herbicide.
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Asia-Pacific: The market in Asia-Pacific for sodium chlorate held the largest share of more than 40% in 2018 and is projected to retain its dominance during the forecast period. This is primarily due to the high demand for the product in pulp and paper production. The increasing demand for paper-based products is likely to drive regional market growth. The major contributors to the robust growth of the regional market for sodium chlorate are China, India, Japan, and South Korea.
- North America: The region witnessed moderate growth in 2018 owing to strict regulations regarding uranium mining and growing demand for leather tanning in the region. The growing demand for premium leather products in applications such as jackets, upholstery, and shoes is likely to drive regional market growth.
- Europe: The region witnessed healthy growth attributed to extensive demand for paper-based hygiene products and paperboard packaging. The growing e-commerce industry is also expected to drive regional market growth.
- Latin America: Changing lifestyles and rising demand for tissue papers, wipes, and toilet papers are expected to boost the demand for sodium chlorate during the assessment period. Moreover, the high demand for sodium chlorate as an oxidizing agent in fireworks and explosives is likely to drive the regional market growth.
- Middle East & Africa: In 2018, the market for sodium chlorate in the region accounted for a less market share. However, the high potential of the dyes, pharmaceutical, and cosmetic industries in the region is projected to drive the market growth in the coming years.
Speak to Analyst
Ask for Customization
2027: USD 5.74 Million
Value (USD Million)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Form, Application, Region
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Arkema SA (France), Nouryon (The Netherlands), ERCO (Canada), Kemira (Finland), Merck KGaA (Germany), China First Chemical Holdings Limited (China), HARKE GROUP (Germany), Tronox Holdings plc (US), Chemtrade (Canada), Brenntag AG (Germany), Ercros S.A (Spain), Inner Mongolia Lantai Industrial Co. Ltd. (China), Lianyungang Xingang Chemical Co., Ltd. (China)
Key Market Opportunities
The growing need for cardboard packaging in correspondence to the e-commerce industry is likely to fuel the demand for sodium chlorate in paper production
Key Market Drivers
Surging demand for pulp and paper in paperboards, hygiene products, and chemical manufacturing. Growing use of sodium chlorate in explosives and mining activities. Rapidly expanding agricultural industry across the globe. Growing demand for sodium chlorate in leather tanning and dyes applications
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
sodium chlorate market valuation was USD 2.1 billion.
sodium chlorate market CAGR would be 4.6% during the forecast period.
The crystalline form would lead the sodium chlorate market.
The pulp & paper segment would lead the sodium chlorate market.
Asia Pacific would control the global sodium chlorate market.