Shortening Market Overview
The global shortening market is expected to grow USD 6.41billion at a 4.52% CAGR During Forecast 2020-2030. Shortenings, as a part of the market, find a wide range of applications in the confectionery, bakery, and snacks & savory sectors. The rise in the prominent market factors such as an increase in demand for shortenings in various food applications, and a prominent rise in demand for bakery and confectionery products has fueled the growth in the market. Affordability, convenience, and health benefits are emerging as the main factors that drive global market growth. The development of other market products such as loaves of bread, cereal, cakes, biscuits, and pastries is well-established in the European countries that will have a positive impact on the global market expansion in 2030. Whereas, the demand for bakery and confectionery products is increasing in the Asian Pacific region with the growing per capita consumption of loaves of bread and baked goods during the ongoing period that will be ending in 2030.
COVID 19 Analysis
The sudden outbreak followed by the fatal spread of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 has hampered the global shortening market growth that was projected for the ongoing forecast period. Retail stores, malls, supermarkets, and other inclusions of the sales channels have been forced to close or remain closed owing to the disrupted demand and this has been a result of stringent lockdown imposed by governments all over the world. During the lockdown that has been imposed by the local and global governments, however, several brands have shifted their focus to e-commerce platforms to generate revenue and increase sales. Offline sales are increasing at the moment and the main reason behind this is that the government lockdown restrictions in several countries are being gradually lifted.
The rise in investments followed by the collaborative efforts of the Shortening Market players and global governments followed by their functioning in various research and development departments is likely to help the global market to opt for collaborative measures in the long run and as a part of the ongoing forecast period ending in 2030.
The market trends support an increasing processed food sector demand that is driving the shortening market demand. In some nations that are a part of the global shortening market, processed food items, such as pasta and noodles, are consumed as staple foods. The period of preparation is comparably less for dry-ready meals, and other consumables like dried noodles, pasta, and many other processed food products. The shortening fats in bread products are often being utilized for their many functional advantages like better elasticity, higher smoke points, and promising a higher shelf-life.
Functional meals and beverages being demanded by the consumers with functional nutrients complement many health advantages as well as the essential nutritional content of the product. Amino acids, vitamins, minerals, followed by others like protein, fatty acids, and prebiotics are included in these nutrients. Due to a higher degree of growing awareness of the area of consumer health, functional products are becoming more and more important in recent years. There has been an increasing product development followed by a huge rise in innovation activities that are attracting consumers to opt for functional foods and beverages, especially during the ongoing forecast period that will be ending in 2030.
There has been a huge degree of consumption of trans-fatty acids that are strongly associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular diseases and other serious ailments like cancer. As a result, additional regulations are being laid down by the government on the usage of liquid oils directly in sweet goods and icings. Thus, the rising awareness regarding the negative health effects of trans-fatty acids is affecting the confectionery ingredients industry, and in turn, the shortening market during the ongoing forecast period.
The shortening market is witnessing a huge rise in the investment portions followed by the collaborative efforts of the global governments is helping in the market expansion to carry out the research and development processes as projected for the ongoing forecast period that will be ending in 2030.
The shortening market has been segmented based on the following to meet the rising needs of the global market audience and help the market opt for global expansion during the period.
Based on Key Ingredient, the Shortening Market has been segmented as follows:
Based on Source, the market has been segmented as follows:
Based on Variant, the market has been segmented as follows:
Based on Application, the market has been segmented as follows:
- Bakery products
- Confectionery products
- Snacks & savory products
Based on Region, the market has been segmented as follows:
- North America
The Asian Pacific region, as a part of the prominently participating regions, has dominated the global Shortening Market functioning and has further, accounted for the largest share, in terms of both value and volume, in the global market, during the historic forecast period that had ended in 2020. The Asian Pacific region amongst the rest in competition comprises developing economies such as India, China, Malaysia, and others like Indonesia. With the rising degree of population and improvements in the purchasing power of consumers in developing countries such as China and India, the global shortening market in this region is expected to witness high growth in the future, as a part of the forecast period. The ongoing market changes in the eating habits of consumers in the APAC region have resulted in a rise in the consumption of bakery products and snacks. These rising market factors drive the shortenings market in the Asia-Pacific region in the upcoming future.
The shortening market is likely to be dominated by key players such as:
- Archer Daniels Midland Company (U.S.)
- Bunge Limited (U.S.)
- Cargill (U.S.)
- Wilmar International Limited (Singapore)
- AAK AB (Sweden)
- There are some other players in this segment including:
- Manildra Group (Australia)
- International Foodstuff Company Holdings Limited (UAE)
- ConAgra Brands (U.S.)
- Associated British Foods (U.K.)
- Ventura Foods, LLC (U.S.)
- The global shortening market is segmented into oil, butter, lard, tallow, and others while the oil segment is likely to dominate the market owing to its major use in the production of various shortening products and wider availability.
- The global market is segmented into vegetables and animal-based on the source and the vegetable segment dominated the market. There has been a high market demand for vegetable shortenings in the industry and the same can be attributed to the increase in awareness for healthy shortenings.
- The shortening market is segmented based on the application into bakery products, confectionery products, and snacks & savory products, and others including sauces, gravies, and the bakery products segment of the market had accounted for the largest share in the market. The trends support shortening products made with modern processes such as interesterification.
- The solid segment dominated the Shortening Market in the historic period of 2016, whereas the all-purpose segment is projected to grow at the highest CAGR followed by the cake/icing segment during 2020-2030. All-purpose shortenings as a part of the global market are in demand owing to their versatile nature and multi-functional characteristics. This rising versatility helps them to blend well with other ingredients and hence, give a rich and uniform taste.
-Raw material suppliers/growers
-Fat and/or oil processors/manufacturers
- Processed food manufacturers
- Chocolate & confectionery manufacturers
- Bakery & dairy manufacturers
- Feed additive manufacturers
- Personal care & cosmetic companies
-Research institutes and organizations
-Government bodies, venture capitalists, and private equity firms
The objective of this global market study is to define, segment, and project the size of the market based on the key ingredient, source, variant, application, and the regional functioning of the shortening market. The report aims to provide detailed information about the crucial factors influencing market dynamics involving the market drivers, restraints, opportunities, and industry-specific challenges. The global market opportunities and competitive landscape of market leaders are also considered and studied for the stakeholders. The market report discusses the competitive developments such as expansions and investments, partnerships, agreements, joint ventures, and other options like collaborations, followed by the new product launches, and acquisitions in the market are covered in the study.
USD 6.41 billion
Value (USD Billion)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
by Source, Claim, Application, and Region
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Archer Daniels Midland Company (U.S.),Bunge Limited (U.S.),Cargill (U.S.),Wilmar International Limited (Singapore),AAK AB (Sweden),There are some other players in this segment including:,Manildra Group (Australia),International Foodstuff Company Holdings Limited (UAE),ConAgra Brands (U.S.),Associated British Foods (U.K.),Ventura Foods, LLC (U.S.)
Key Market Opportunities
rise in demand for bakery and confectionery products
Key Market Drivers
increasing processed food sector demand
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
The APAC region is likely to emerge as the dominant player in the global market competition.
The global market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 4.52%.
The global market is reported to have attained a global market revenue of USD 6.41billion.
Key Questions Answered
Request Free Sample
- ✅Global Market Outlook
- ✅In-depth analysis of global and regional trends
- ✅Analyze and identify the major players in the market, their market share, key developments, etc.
- ✅To understand the capability of the major players based on products offered, financials, and strategies.
- ✅Identify disrupting products, companies, and trends.
- ✅To identify opportunities in the market.
- ✅Analyze the key challenges in the market.
- ✅Analyze the regional penetration of players, products, and services in the market.
- ✅Comparison of major players’ financial performance.
- ✅Evaluate strategies adopted by major players.
Why Choose Market Research Future?
Speak to Analyst
- ✅Vigorous research methodologies for specific market.
- ✅Knowledge partners across the globe
- ✅Large network of partner consultants.
- ✅Ever-increasing/ Escalating data base with quarterly monitoring of various markets
- ✅Trusted by fortune 500 companies/startups/universities/organizations
- ✅Large database of 5000+ markets reports.
- ✅Effective and prompt pre- and post-sales support.