Global Lymphedema Diagnostics Market is expected to cross USD 37.6 Million by 2025 at a CAGR of 7.1% during the forecast period of 2019 to 2025.
Lymphedema is a chronic condition that refers to swelling in any part of the body tissues, especially in the arms or legs. It develops due to damage to the lymphatic system. Sometimes it also develops after treatment of breast cancer.
Increasing the prevalence of cancer will support the growth of the market. According to the World Cancer Research Fund International, breast cancer was the most common cancer in women worldwide, contributing 25.4% of the total number of new cases diagnosed in 2018.
High prevalence of lymphedema and cancer are likely to impact the growth of the lymphedema diagnostics industry positively.
- Increased prevalence of cancer will support the growth of the market during the forecast period.
- The high prevalence of lymphedema drives the growth of the market. In the UK, according to NHS inform, more than 200,000 were estimated to be living with lymphoedema. Similarly, according to a research paper published in the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), about 1 in 1,000 American suffers from secondary lymphedema
- A large number of lymphedema diagnostic procedures performed in hospitals is expected to drive market growth
- The short half-life of radiopharmaceuticals and high cost of diagnostic tests are likely to hamper the growth of the lymphedema diagnostics market during the forecast period
- Primary: It majorly causes due to faulty genes affecting the development of the lymphatic system. The incidence of this type is lower compared with the secondary lymphoedema.
- Secondary: Secondary lymphoedema occurs due to damage to the lymphatic system. The damage of the lymphatic system is due to injury, infection, and cancer treatment among others. This segment holds the most significant share in the type segment. Growing incidence and prevalence of cases is the key factor attributing to the segmental growth.
- Lymphoscintigraphy: Lymphoscintigraphy is a type of nuclear medicine imaging that provides pictures of the lymphatic system and helps in identifying the blockage of the lymphatic system. This segment holds the most significant share in the technology segment
- Magnetic resonance imaging: It produces the 3D high-resolution images of the internal anatomy of the limb part including, leg or arm to the visualization of edema
- Computed Tomography: It is one of the common imaging devices used in the diagnosis of primary lymphedema.
- Ultrasound Imaging: It provides information on the etiology of the edema as well as identifying the grade of the lymphedema.
- Others: Others include X-Ray Lymphography, Bioimpedance Analysis, and Near-Infrared Fluorescence Imaging.
By Disease Type
- Cancer: The cancer segment holds the majority of the shares in the disease type segment attributing to the high incidence of cancer across the globe. According to the World Cancer Research Fund International, cervical cancer was the fourth most common cancer in women, contributing 6.9% of the total number of new cases diagnosed in 2018 across the globe. Similarly, breast cancer–related lymphoedema develops in around 20% of women after breast cancer treatment.
- Inflammatory Diseases: Secondary lymphedema can cause by the condition including inflammatory diseases and others
- Cardiovascular Disease: Patients suffering from cardiovascular diseases have a higher risk of developing lymphedema. The rising prevalence of cardiovascular disease will support the growth of the market
- Others: Others includes trauma, Infections diseases, and skin burns among others
- Hospitals: In 2018, the hospital's segment held the largest share in the market as these centers are the primary locations for patients receiving diagnosis & treatment for lymphoedema
- Diagnostic Centers: Recently, many diagnostic centers are providing diagnostic tests for lymphoedema. More than 200,000 diagnostics laboratories provide various diagnostic tests in the US. This high number of labs support the growth of the market
- Others: Others includes research and academic institutes
- Americas: The Americas held the largest regional market share in 2018. This is owing to the high prevalence of lymphedema and the rising incidence of cancer. For instance, according to breastcancer.org, 2019, an estimated 268,600 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the US.
Additionally, the presence of a large number of hospitals in the US is likely to support market growth. The US has over 7,200 active hospitals and a well-established healthcare sector
- Europe: The need for lymphedema diagnostics is high in this region due to the rising prevalence of cancer. According to Cancer Research UK, prostate cancer is the most common cancer in males in the UK, with around 47,600 new cases in 2016
- Asia-Pacific: The Asia-Pacific is the fastest-growing regional market for the lymphedema diagnostics market. It has the world’s largest population and rapidly developing the healthcare sector.
- Middle East & Africa: It is estimated to account for the least share of the global market due to the limited development of healthcare facilities.
- Siemens Healthineers
- GE Healthcare
- Stryker Corporation
- Shimadzu Corporation
- Canon, Inc.
- United Imaging Healthcare Co., Ltd.
- Hitachi, Ltd.
USD 37.6 Million
Value (USD Million)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Type, Technology, Disease Type and By End-User
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Siemens Healthineers, GE Healthcare, Stryker Corporation, Philips, Shimadzu Corporation, Canon, Inc., United Imaging Healthcare Co., Ltd., Hitachi, Ltd., Fluoptics, and Esaote SPA
Key Market Opportunities
High prevalence of lymphedema and cancer are likely to impact the growth
Key Market Drivers
Increased prevalence of cancer will support the growth of the market during the forecast periodA large number of lymphedema diagnostic procedures performed in hospitals is expected to drive market growth
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
The lymphedema diagnostics market will generate revenue of USD 37.6 Million by 2025.
At a CAGR of 7.1%, the lymphedema diagnostics market would witness growth.
2019 to 2025 is the growth period of the lymphedema diagnostics market.
The market influencer for the lymphedema diagnostics market is the towering prevalence of lymphedema and cancer. These are liable to impact the development of the lymphedema diagnostics industry optimistically.
The Asia-Pacific is the fastest-growing regional market for the lymphedema diagnostics market.
This table of content is tentative and subject to change as the research progresses.
Please Note: Financial details of company cannot be provided if the information of the company is not available in public domain and or reliable source.