Speak to Analyst
Request a Free Sample
Geosynthetics Market Overview
As per the MRFR reports, the global geosynthetics market is estimated to generate a revenue of USD 23.92 billion by the end of 2028. Furthermore, the report predicts the market to thrive at a healthy CAGR of 6.75% during the assessment era.
Geosynthetics refer to products used to stabilize terrain. They are usually polymeric products used to resolve civil engineering issues. These products include geonets, geosynthetic liners, geogrids, geotextile, geo-composite, and geomembranes. These products are made of polyester, polystyrene, polypropylene, polyvinyl chloride, and polyethylene. Geosynthetics system is used in various geotechnical and civil engineering applications, including coastal engineering, dams, canals, retaining structures, railroads, reservoirs, embankments, airfields, and roads. The global market for geosynthetics has witnessed a massive surge in demand in the last few years. The market's growth is primarily credited to the expanding construction industry worldwide. Furthermore, the factors such as industrialization, rapid urbanization, population growth, and changing demographics across developing and developed countries are also projected to boost the market's growth over the forecasted era. Moreover, the presence of several rules and regulations concerning the usage of geosynthetics to enhance the safety of the infrastructure and alleviate terrain is another crucial aspect catalyzing the market's growth in the coming years.
- Low & Bonar PLC (UK) – Bontec
- Tensar Geosynthetics (China) Ltd (China)
- Thrace Group (Greece)
- Maccaferri S.p.A. (Italy) – MacDrain, MacMat, MacLine, MacNet
- Gorantla Geosynthetics Pvt Ltd. (India)
- Polymer Group Inc. (US)
- Geotrst Environmental Science Technology (China)
- NAUE GmbH & Co. KG (Germany)
- SKAPS Industries (US)
- ABG Ltd (UK)
- Texel Technical Materials, Inc. (US)
Pricing Analysis and Regulatory Framework
The average price for geosynthetics varies from USD 0.15 to USD 4.0 per square meter. The price of the geosynthetics varies based on material and type. Furthermore, fluctuating raw material prices are expected to have an impact on the price of geosynthetics.
The standard tests for geosynthetics have been established by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM).
- Increasing investments in infrastructure development in Asia-Pacific
- Recovering growth of the construction industry in the US
- Stringent regulations and construction codes set by the regulatory bodies
- Fluctuating raw material prices
- Geotextile: It is a flexible fabric made of polymer fibers or filaments. The most commonly used polymer for fabricating geotextile is polypropylene. Geotextiles can be either woven or non-woven characterized by an open and porous structure. The geotextile segment accounted for the largest share of the global geosynthetics market attributed to its tensile strength, as well as excellent mechanical and hydraulic properties.
- Geomembranes: Geomembranes are polymeric sheets generally made of polyethylene, polyvinyl chloride (PVC), and polypropylene. Geomembranes are most commonly used for landfill applications, primarily owing to the high chemical resistance and durability.
- Geogrids: Geogrids are primarily used for reinforcement application and are made of polypropylene, polyethylene, or polyester.
- Others: The segment includes geosynthetic liners, geo-composites, geocells, geopipes, and geomesh.
- Polypropylene: Polypropylene is the most common polymer used for the fabrication of various geosynthetics. The high demand for polypropylene is attributed to its lightweight, high strength, durability.
- Polyethylene: The polyethylene segment is expected to witness healthy growth during the forecast period. It is mostly used in the manufacturing of geosynthetics owing to its high tensile strength, chemical resistance, and durability.
- Polystyrene: Polystyrene is mainly used in the manufacturing of geofoams.
- Polyvinyl Chloride: Polyvinyl chloride is a synthetic thermoplastic polymer manufactured from vinyl chloride and is used in the fabrication of geomembrane and geopipes.
- Polyester: Polyester is used in the manufacturing of geotextiles and geogrids owing to its high strength and creep properties.
- Separation: Geosynthetics such as geotextile, geomembrane, and geocell are used to separate two layers of dissimilar materials to maintain the integrity of the infrastructure. The increasing investments in construction and repair of the road network in developing nations are likely to support the growth of the segment during the forecast period.
- Reinforcement: Reinforcement is the geosynthetics inclusions within the soil to improve the tensile strength and shear resistance. Geotextile and geogrid are used to reinforce the sub-soil for road construction activities.
- Filtration: Filtration applications involve the movement of liquid through the geosynthetic, whilst retaining particles of the filtered soil.
- Drainage: Drainage is a critical application in almost all geotechnical structure, transmitting liquid within the plane and to reduce lateral pressure on a retaining wall.
- Barrier: Geosynthetics are used to prevent the contamination of liquid or vapor, generally used in the waste containment systems as a moisture barrier.
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- North America: North America was the second-largest regional market for geosynthetics in 2018. The region is projected to witness significant growth during the forecast period driven by increasing investments in infrastructure development in the US and stringent building regulations.
- Europe: The expansion of public infrastructure and increasing construction activities owing to economic and demographic growth is expected to fuel the demand for geosynthetics in the region.
- Asia-Pacific: The region accounted for the largest market share of about 38%. It is expected to be the fastest-growing market led by increasing investments in infrastructure development in China, India, Indonesia, and Malaysia.
- Latin America: The Latin American construction industry is expected to witness moderate growth led by financial and political uncertainties in the region.
- Middle East & Africa: The growth of the regional market is attributed to increasing investments in infrastructure and construction projects, mostly in lieu of the mega-events such as the World Expo 2020 in Dubai and the FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar.
- December 2021- Solmax, the world's leading geosynthetics manufacturer, has announced the acquisition of Propex, a prominent leading North American geosyntheticsmanufacturer with a strong background in the construction, automotive, flood protection, and transportation industries.
- April 2021- a prominent player in the manufacturing of high-quality polyethylene geomembranes for environmental and industrial applications, Solmax has announced an agreement with Koninklijke Ten Cate to acquire a global provider of geosynthetics and industrial fabrics, TenCate Geosynthetics. Solmax's long-term financial partners, Fonds de solidarité FTQ and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ) are investing in this deal. The president of Solmax, Jean-Louis Vangeluwe, collaborates with two prominent players in their respective segments, known worldwide for the quality of their products and services.
Speak to Analyst
Ask for Customization
2028: USD 23.92 Billion 2030 : Significant value
2022 to 2030
2019 & 2020
Value (USD Billion)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Type, Material, Application,
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Low & Bonar PLC (UK) – Bontec, Tensar Geosynthetics (China) Ltd (China), Thrace Group (Greece), Maccaferri S.p.A. (Italy) – MacDrain, MacMat, MacLine, MacNet, Gorantla Geosynthetics Pvt Ltd. (India), Polymer Group Inc. (US), Geotrst Environmental Science Technology (China), NAUE GmbH & Co. KG, Germany), SKAPS Industries (US), ABG Ltd (UK), Texel Technical Materials, Inc. (US)
Key Market Opportunities
Recovering growth of the construction industry in the US
Key Market Drivers
Increasing investments in infrastructure development in Asia-Pacific.\r\nStringent regulations and construction codes set by the regulatory bodies
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
The Geosynthetics market can expand at 6.75% CAGR by 2028.
By 2028, the Geosynthetics market value can exceed USD 23.92 billion.
Low & Bonar PLC (UK) – Bontec, Thrace Group (Greece), and Tensar Geosynthetics (China) Ltd (China) are some reputed names in the Geosynthetics market.
The surge in need for geotextile can promote the Geosynthetics market.
The presence of alternative solutions can restrain the Geosynthetics market.