Speak to Analyst
Request a Free Sample
Request a Free Sample
Bisphenol A Market
Bisphenol A Market is projected to be worth USD 30.78 Billion by 2030, registering a CAGR of 5.16% during the forecast period (2021 - 2030).
Bisphenol-A Market Overview
According to MRFR analysis, Global Bisphenol-A Market was valued at USD 18.1 billion in 2018 and USD 30.78 Billion by 2030 and is projected to register a CAGR of 5.16% during the forecast period.
Bisphenol A, commonly abbreviated as BPA, is an industrial chemical primarily used in the production of polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resins, among others. BPA-based products are known for their high optical clarity, toughness, and excellent electrical resistance. Due to the aforementioned properties, BPA finds a variety of applications in numerous end-use industries such as electronics, medical, automotive, and packaging. For instance, BPA-based polycarbonate plastics on account of their electrical insulation and versatility are extensively used in the electronics industry to produce digital disks such as DVDs, compact discs, and Blu-ray discs. Besides, BPA is also used in the manufacturing of medical equipment, tableware, plastic containers, thermal print paper as well as an antioxidant in glues, plastics, and inks.
The major factor driving the growth of the global market is increasing demand for bisphenol A in the expanding electronics and automotive industries. Bisphenol A is broadly used to produce polycarbonates and epoxy resins, which are then used in the production of printed circuit boards, LEDs, keyboards, computers, and others. For instance, the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) in January 2018 predicted an increase of 3.95% in the consumer electronics sector over 2017 with a retail revenue of USD 351 billion. This is likely to fuel the demand for BPA during the review period. The increasing use of polycarbonate plastics to produce lightweight and fuel-efficient vehicles and in numerous automobile applications such as impact-resistant bumpers, sunroofs, and others is consequently expected to boost the demand for the product during the review period.
The surging demand for epoxy resin to produce water-based coatings, protective coatings for metal cans and containers due to their high corrosion resistance and adhesion is further driving the demand of BPA in the paints and coatings industry.
Additionally, the increasing use for high strength and lightweight polycarbonate plastics in the packaging industry for storage of food products, beverages, and others is expected to propel the product demand during the forecast period. Furthermore, the increasing use of BPA-based wind turbine rotor blades in the wind energy sector is projected to create lucrative opportunities for the key players operating in the global bisphenol A market.
However, BPA is an endocrine disruptor, thus behaves in a similar way to estrogen and interferes with the production, secretion, function, and elimination of natural hormones in the body. It affects the brain development and reproductive system, especially in babies and fetuses, owing to which its use in food contact applications has been restricted in the US and Europe. This is likely to hinder the growth during the review period.
Pricing and Raw Materials
In 2018, bisphenol A was priced around USD 1700–1800 per ton across the globe and is expected to follow the similar trend during the forecast period.
BPA, one of the most utilized industrial chemicals worldwide, is produced by condensation of acetone and phenol in the presence of a strong acid catalyst mainly hydrochloric acid and is accompanied by methyl mercaptan promoter.
- High demand for polycarbonate plastics in the electronics, automotive, and packaging industries.
- Growing use of epoxy resin in the paints and coatings industry to produce high-performance paints and coatings.
- Stringent government regulations pertaining to the use of BPA in food contact applications in Europe.
- Health hazards associated with the use of BPA-based plastics
- Increasing application of BPA-based rotor blades in the power generation sector, especially wind energy.
- Shift toward BPA-free products.
By End-Use Industry
- Polycarbonate Plastics: The segment accounted for around ~75% of the global bisphenol A market share in 2018. The segment is projected to register the highest CAGR during the forecast period on the account of excellent durability and high heat and shatter resistance. BPA-based polycarbonates are used in a wide range of commercially available thermoplastics such as reusable containers, cell phone casings, and eye lenses.
- Epoxy Resins
- Electronics: The segment held a dominant share in 2018 and is expected to follow the similar trend during the assessment period. The increasing use of BPA-based polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resins in the production of electronic goods such as computers, fuse boxes, lamp covers, switches, PCB’s, and other electronic equipment is augmenting the market growth. Additionally, the increasing disposable income coupled with the rising demand for white and brown goods in developing countries such as China, India, and others is likely to fuel the demand for bisphenol A in the electronics industry.
- Paints & Coatings
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Asia-Pacific held the largest market share in 2018 and is projected to register the highest CAGR during the forecast period. This is primarily due to the high demand for the product in the expanding electronics and automotive China, being the top player in the electronics industry, is the expected to be the leading country-level market; the presence of BPA-producing companies in the countries is expected to increase in the coming years. In addition, the increasing production and sale of automobiles in the country are further propelling the regional market growth. India and other South-East Asian countries also expected to contribute to regional market growth.
- North America: The high demand for polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resins in well-established end-use industries such as paints and coatings, electronics and medical are expected to contribute to the regional market growth.
- Europe: High automobile production and increasing use of polycarbonate plastics in life-saving medical devices are driving the regional market growth.
- Latin America: Expanding electronics industry is expected to boost the market growth for bisphenol A in the region.
- Middle East & Africa: The growing construction activities and automotive industry in the region are contributing to the regional market growth.
- Convestro AG (Germany)
- KUMHO P&B CHEMICALS., INC (South Korea)
- LG Chem (South Korea)
- Mitsui Chemicals (Japan)
- SABIC (Saudi Arabia)
- NAN YA PLASTICS CORPORATION (Taiwan)
- TEIJIN LIMITED. (Japan)
- Chang Chun Group (China)
- Vinmar International (US)
- China National Bluestar (Group) Co, Ltd (China)
- SAMYANG HOLDINGS CORPORATION (South Korea)
| Market Size
||2030: USD 30.78 Billion
| Base Year
| Forecast Period
|| 2022 to 2030
| Historical Data
|| 2019 & 2020
| Forecast Units
|| Value (USD billion)
| Report Coverage
|| Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
| Segments Covered
|| Application and End-Use
| Geographies Covered
|| North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
| Key Vendors
|| Convestro AG (Germany), KUMHO P&B CHEMICALS., INC (South Korea), LG Chem (South Korea), Mitsui Chemicals (Japan), SABIC (Saudi Arabia), NAN YA PLASTICS CORPORATION (Taiwan), TEIJIN LIMITED. (Japan), Chang Chun Group (China), Vinmar International (US), China National Bluestar (Group) Co, Ltd (China), SAMYANG HOLDINGS CORPORATION (South Korea)
| Key Market Opportunities
|| Increasing application of BPA-based rotor blades in the power generation sector, especially wind energy.
| Key Market Drivers
|| High demand for polycarbonate plastics in the electronics, automotive, and packaging industries.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
Global bisphenol A market is expected to record a substantial market growth from its last recorded value of 18.1 billion in 2018.
Global bisphenol A market is projected to register a moderate 5.16% CAGR in the forecast period.
The Polycarbonate Plastics segment is poised to observe substantial demand over the review period.
The electronics segment is slated to expand as the fastest-growing segment.
A few eminent market players operating in the global bisphenol A market are Convestro AG (Germany), KUMHO P&B CHEMICALS., INC (South Korea), LG Chem (South Korea) among others.
Key Questions Answered
Request Free Sample
- ✅Global Market Outlook
- ✅In-depth analysis of global and regional trends
- ✅Analyze and identify the major players in the market, their market share, key developments, etc.
- ✅To understand the capability of the major players based on products offered, financials, and strategies.
- ✅Identify disrupting products, companies, and trends.
- ✅To identify opportunities in the market.
- ✅Analyze the key challenges in the market.
- ✅Analyze the regional penetration of players, products, and services in the market.
- ✅Comparison of major players’ financial performance.
- ✅Evaluate strategies adopted by major players.
Why Choose Market Research Future?
Speak to Analyst
- ✅Vigorous research methodologies for specific market.
- ✅Knowledge partners across the globe
- ✅Large network of partner consultants.
- ✅Ever-increasing/ Escalating data base with quarterly monitoring of various markets
- ✅Trusted by fortune 500 companies/startups/universities/organizations
- ✅Large database of 5000+ markets reports.
- ✅Effective and prompt pre- and post-sales support.
Leading companies partner with us for data-driven Insights.
Kindly complete the form below to receive a free sample of this Report