Biosimulation Market Forecast
Biosimulation Market is expected to reach around USD 4.4 Billion by 2025 at a CAGR of 15.9% between 2019 and 2025.
Drug discovery & development is an expensive process, and any deviation in results in the late phases of drug development results in a huge waste of time, money and other resources. Hence, there is a need to develop a tool that will support the outcomes of the drug development process by simulating the biological processes involved.
Biosimulation is the simulation of biological processes with the help of a computer program. Biosimulation is a predictive and analytical tool used in the drug discovery stage to predict future outcomes of current experimental trials. Virtual clinical trials of new developing pharmaceutical drugs can be conducted on computers by running disease simulations. Biosimulation software has wide applications in pharmaceutical drug discovery and development process as it can save both time and money for pharmaceutical companies in their search to discover new drugs and bring them to market.
Also, various government initiatives for the adoption of biosimulation models are contributing to the growth in the market. For instance, BioSim (Biosimulation) (an EU funded research project) received EUR 10.7 million under the 'life sciences, genomics, and biotechnology for health' priority of the Sixth Framework Programme (FP6). The overall objective of the BioSim project is to establish a European Network of Excellence, creating broader contacts between the many research groups working in this field throughout Europe. The strategic initiative by the EU for funding the BioSim Network of Excellence to structure efforts to develop simulation models for the design, selection, and testing of drugs is also projected to boost Biosimulation Market growth.
Biosimulation Market Influencer
Increasing R&D investments by pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device companies for the development of novel drugs ensures the growth in biosimulation market.
- The growing adoption of biosimulation software by regulatory bodies is expected to drive the biosimulation market growth.
- The increasing healthcare expenditure is supporting the growth in the global biosimulation market. Health expenditure is rising faster than the global economy, accounting for 10% of global gross domestic product (GDP). In 2017, health expenditure was highest in the United States, at 17.1% of GDP and significantly more than Switzerland (12.3%) and France (11.3%), the second and third highest spenders.
- The increasing use of pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modeling in pre-clinical development is driving the demand for biosimulation software.
- The rising need to reduce the drug development cost is expected to have a positive impact on the growth of the global biosimulation market.
- Technological advancements in biosimulation tools are contributing to the growth of the biosimulation market. For instance, in July 2018, a group of scientists at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru has developed a low-cost simulator for endoscopy, called EndoMimyk. The purpose of an endoscopy simulator is to train clinicians without using animals and human patients in virtual reality environment with graphical visualization and haptics (virtual touch). Moreover, in March 2017, Certara developed Simcyp platform, a cloud-based licensing approach, which helps to predict pharmacokinetic outcomes in virtual patient populations.
- Adherence to compliance of IT in the pharmaceutical sector.
- Lack of standardization in biosimulation methodology. The governing bodies are yet to standardize the use of in silico or biosimulation technologies in the drug discovery or development process.
- Lack of trained professionals.
Biosimulation Market Segmentation
- Software: Availability of an extensive array of application-specific software based on different needs and interests of users/researchers is driving the growth of this segment. This segment is likely to dominate the biosimulation market with the largest market share throughout the forecast period.
- Services: Biosimulation services are proved to be imperative in complex and multi-layered drug development systems. The services segment is further segmented into in-house services and contract services.
- Drug Development: It is the largest segment by application. Biosimulation solutions help to reduce the time and cost of the drug development process, which increases its adoption for this process. The drug development process includes preclinical testing and clinical trials. The preclinical testing is further bifurcated into PK/PD (pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic) and ADME/TOX (Absorption, Distribution, Metabolism, Excretion, and Toxicity).
- Drug Discovery: A large number of pharmaceutical companies are focusing on drug testing through biosimulation methodology.
- Others: Other applications include nutraceuticals, agricultural food production, and others.
By Delivery Model
- Subscription Models: The largest segment by delivery model, owing to advantages associated with subscription models such as interoperability, cost-effectiveness, and flexibility.
- Ownership Models: Buyers opt for ownership models owing to security benefits associated with these models.
By End Users
- Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies: It is the largest segment by end-users. The pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies use biosimulation tools throughout the drug development process, as it helps to identify molecules with the highest efficacy and the least toxicity.
- Contract Research Organizations: The contract research organization segment is estimated to register the highest growth rate in the future owing to the higher adoption of biosimulation tool.
- Research Institutes: The increasing demand for biosimulation software from research institutions to discover new drug variants is driving the growth of this biosimulation market segment.
- Regulatory Authorities: The revolutionary impact of biosimulation on drug development is rising the adoption of biosimulation software.
- Others: Others include research and development organizations, consulting firms, and others.
Biosimulation Market By Region
- Americas: The Americas is the largest regional market. This is attributed to a large number of clinical trials and drug development practices, growth of pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, and growing adoption of personalized medicine in this region. Moreover, the R&D expenditure of the US pharmaceutical industry grew to USD 47.05 billion in 2015 from USD 40.69 billion in 2010.
- Europe: The regulatory bodies in Europe region are making efforts to adopt advanced software and services for the drug development process, which is expected to drive biosimulation market growth in this region.
- Asia-Pacific: The fastest-growing regional biosimulation market. Asia-Pacific has the world’s largest population and a fast-developing healthcare sector. Additionally, developing healthcare infrastructure and the growing number of research and development activities is driving the growth of this region.
- Middle East & Africa: The Middle Eastern biosimulation market is expected to show more growth as compared to the African market, owing to the presence of developed countries such as Saudi Arabia and Oman in the region.
Biosimulation Market Key Players
- Dassault Systèmes (France)
- Certara USA, Inc. (US)
- Simulation Plus (US)
- Schrödinger (US)
- Chemical Computing Group (Canada)
- Physiomics (UK)
- In Silico Biosciences (US)
- Advanced Chemistry Development, Inc. (Canada)
- Genedata AG (Switzerland)
- Nuventra Pharma (US)
- Evidera (US)
- Leadinvent Technologies (India)
- LeadScope, Inc. (US)
- Rosa (US)
- INOSIM Software GmbH (Germany)
USD 4.4 Billion
Value (USD Billion)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
By Product, By Application, By Delivery Model and By End Users
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Dassault Systèmes (France), Certara USA, Inc. (US), Simulation Plus (US), Schrödinger (US), Chemical Computing Group (Canada), Physiomics (UK), In Silico Biosciences (US), Advanced Chemistry Development,
Genedata AG (Switzerland), Nuventra Pharma (US), Evidera (US), Leadinvent Technologies (India),
LeadScope, Inc. (US), Rosa (US), INOSIM Software GmbH (Germany)
Key Market Opportunities
Development of novel drugs Applications Area
Key Market Drivers
Adoption of biosimulation softwareHealthcare expenditurePharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modeling in pre-clinical developmentReduce the drug development cost
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
Biosimulation is the simulation of biological processes with the help of a computer program. Biosimulation is a predictive and analytical tool used in drug discovery to predict future outcomes of current experimental trials.
Global Biosimulation Market is expected to exhibit a strong 15.9% CAGR over the forecast period from 2019 to 2025.
The growing investment in drug discovery efforts is likely to be a major driver for the Global Biosimulation Market.
The Americas is the largest regional market for Biosimulation.
Leading players in the Biosimulation Market include Dassault Systemes, Schrodinger, and Rosa, among others.
This table of content is tentative and subject to change as the research progresses.
Please Note: Financial details of company cannot be provided if the information of the company is not available in public domain and or reliable source.