According to MRFR analysis, the Global Automotive Wrap Films Market was valued at USD 3.5 billion in 2018 and is projected to register a robust CAGR of 20%.
Automotive wrap films are vinyl films used in an automotive aftermarket application to enhance the appearance of the vehicle and protect the original paint. The films primarily cover, either completely or partially, the exterior of an automobile. In the market, these films occur in various colors, prints, or gloss, and are referred by various names such as color change wrap, vehicle graphics, car wrap, paint wrap, and paint protection film. The automotive wrap films cover the original paint of the vehicle with the vinyl films of different colors, finish, or gloss, and sometimes with the same color of the vehicle, with different finish or gloss.
The prominent factors favoring the growth of the global market are increasing automobile production in the developing economies, surging demand for paint protection films and window tints for passenger cars in the automotive aftermarket, and growing demand for mobile advertising. In 2018, over 90 million units of automobiles were produced, and it is expected to cross over 100 million units by the end of 2019. This is expected to further boost the demand for automotive wrap films in the coming years.
Furthermore, favorable government policies, rapid urbanization, and changing lifestyles in the emerging economies such as Brazil, South Africa, India, China, and South Korea are expected to drive the global market growth during the assessment period.
In 2018, vinyl wraps for cars were priced at around USD 0.85 to 2 per square meter across the globe. In the same year, the prices of automobile window tints varied from USD 2.5 to USD 5 per square meter. These price variations mainly depend upon the color and purpose of tinting films such as UV protection, reflection, and protection. The passenger cars are the largest consumers of both warps and tinting films wherein the prices are higher as compared to other vehicle types. On single vehicle, wrap can last up to five years, which makes it significantly affordable.
There is a growing demand for clean and green technology and products in the automotive industry, which is expected to drive the need for high recyclability and reusability of automotive films. The manufacturers are taking up the targets to reduce the volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions and increasing the recyclability of wrap films.
- High demand for both passenger as well as commercial vehicles
- Surging demand for outdoor and mobile advertising
- Increasing automobile production
- High degree of protection offered by window tints and wrap films
- Enhanced aesthetics of vehicle with various colors, gloss, and finish
- Growing trend of personalizing or customizing a vehicle
- Low cost of these films as compared to the vehicle paints
- Stringent regulations pertaining to the use of automotive films in some countries
- Cast Film: The cast automotive wrap films held the largest market share of more than 60% in 2018. This is mainly attributed to its excellent physical properties such as minimum shrinkage, high durability, thinner as compared to calendered films, and the ability to maintain the color for longer time. It is most widely used in passenger cars.
- Calendered Film: These types of automotive wrap films are mainly used in commercial vehicles for advertisement purpose.
- Window Tints: The wrap films on windows can prevent excessive heat generation inside the vehicle by reflecting up to 70% of the solar energy.
- Decorative: These types of automotive films are available in different colors and finishes, in the market. The trend of vehicle customization and modification is likely to favor the growth of the segment in the coming years.
- Protective: Automotive wrap films are widely used for paint protection purpose, wherein it protects the original paint of the automobile from yellowing, UV rays, scratch, and dust particles.
- Advertisement: The fastest-growing segment due to increasing focus on outdoor and mobile advertising, which can effectively connect with the masses.
By Vehicle Type
- Cars: The segment accounted for the largest share of more than 45% in 2018, which is mainly attributed to the surging demand for passenger cars in the emerging economies. Additionally, the high use of automotive wrap films for paint protection, window tinting, and decorative purpose is likely to drive the growth of the segment during the forecast period.
- Light Commercial Vehicles (LCV): The fastest-growing segment due to increasing focus on mobile advertising. The light-duty vehicles and buses are widely used for advertising purpose.
- Heavy/Medium Commercial Vehicles (H/MCV): Similar to LCV’s the H/MCV’s are used for advertisement.
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- North America: The region has a well-established automotive industry and high emphasis on automobile protection, on part of a vehicle owner, is likely to propel the growth of the North American market. In addition, the increasing demand for automotive wrap films for decorative purpose is expected to favor the growth of the regional market.
- Europe: The automotive industry in Europe is projected to witness healthy growth during the forecast period. Additionally, the growing adoption of luxury cars, where wrap films are majorly used for window tints and customization purpose, is expected to drive the regional market growth in the coming years.
- Asia-Pacific: The market in Asia-Pacific for automotive wrap films held the largest market share, of more than 45% in 2018 and is projected to retain its dominance during the forecast period. This is primarily due to the high demand for the product in the automotive paint protection. The contributors to the robust growth of the regional market are China, India, and South Korea.
- Latin America: The automotive industry in the regional market is relatively small, yet rapidly expanding, which is expected to boost the demand for automotive wrap films during the review period.
- Middle East & Africa: In 2018, the market for automotive wrap films in the region accounted for a less market share. However, the high potential of the automotive aftermarket in the region is projected to drive the market growth in the coming years.
- 3M Company (US)—3M Gloss Blue Fire, 3M Matrix Black, 3M Satin Flip Ghost Pearl, 3M Dead Matte Black, and 3M Gloss Galaxy Black
- Arlon Graphics, LLC (US)—SLX Cast Wrap, DPF 6100XLP, and Fusion Wrap
- Avery Dennison Corporation (US)—Supreme Protection Film (SPF-XI), Supreme Wrapping Film (SWF900)
- Eastman Chemical Company (US)—LLumar, SunTek, and V-KOOL, Advantis,
- Madico, Inc (US)—Protekt, Black Pearl, Onyx, Wincos
- Prestige Film Technologies (UK)—Clearguard Nano IRD, Spectra Photosync IRD, Ceraluxe Quantum Ceramic
- Garware Polyester Ltd (India)
- HEXIS S.A. (France)—SKINTAC
- Nexfil (US)—Nanoceramic, Crystal Blue, HP Charcoal, NR Superior, and NR Premium
- Kay Premium Marking Films Ltd (UK)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
Global automotive wrap film market is slated to grow substantially from its last recorded value of USD 3.5 billion in 2018.
Global automotive wrap film market is projected to register a moderate 20% CAGR in the forecast period.
The cast film segment is touted to observe substantial demand over the review period.
The car segment is slated to expand as the fastest-growing segment.
A few eminent market players operating in the global automotive wrap films market are Kay Premium Marking Films Ltd (UK), Eastman Chemical Company (US), 3M Company (US), among others.