According to MRFR analysis, the global superplasticizers market is projected toregister a CAGR of 7.8% to reach USD 10,232.4million by the end of 2027.
Superplasticizers are additives that are used in the preparation of high-strength concrete. These additives help reduce the water to cement ratioand increase the overall strength of the concrete mixture. Superplasticizers help in improving the workability owing to their ability to retard the curing process. Additionally, these additives help in reducing the use of water and cement during the concrete making process.
The increasing adoption of ready-mix concrete and precast concrete are two major factors driving the growth of the global superplasticizers market. Ready-mix concrete is widely used in large construction and infrastructure projects. The use of plasticizers in ready-mix concrete helps improve and its flowability and enable the transfer of concrete using a concrete pump. The rapid growth of the construction industry in Asia-Pacific and the Middle East & Africa region is expected to prove highly beneficial for the market growth. Additionally, increasing investment in redevelopment and renovation of old buildings and infrastructure projects in North America and Europe is projected to further boost the product demand in the upcoming years.
In September 2020, Ha-Be Betonchemie announced the launch of Pantafloor PEP360 (F.M.) superplasticizer. It is a phosphate-treated superplasticizer compatible with ready-mixed concrete and precast concrete elements.
A large variety of chemical admixtures, including plasticizers, air entrainers, and set retarders, are added to the concrete mixture to attain desired properties.ASTM International has developed standards pertaining to the use of chemical admixtures added into the concrete mixture. The ASTM C494 Type G standard specifies the use and testing methods for water-reducing, high range, and retarding admixtures such as plasticizers while preparing the concrete mixture in the field.
- Rising investment in the development of infrastructure projects in Asia-Pacific
- Growing preference for precast concrete construction technology.
- Growing use of ready-mix concrete in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Problems associated with cement-superplasticizer incompatibility.
- Polycarboxylate (P.C.) Derivatives:The polycarboxylate (P.C.) derivative type superplasticizers held the largest market share in 2019. These superplasticizers exhibit excellent water reduction capability and dispersibilityand are compatible with a wide range of cement and concrete mixtures. Additionally, the rising use of polycarboxylate (P.C.) derivative superplasticizers in high performance concrete, high-strength concrete, and dry mortars is expected to drive the segment growth over the forecast period.
- Sulfonated Naphthalene Formaldehydes (SNF):The sulphonated naphthalene formaldehyde (SNF) superplasticizers held a significant share in the global superplasticizers market in 2019. Easy availability and comparatively lower price than P.C. derivative superplasticizers have been major factors driving the segment growth.
- Sulfonated Melamine Formaldehydes (SMF):The sulfonated melamine formaldehyde superplasticizers segment is expected to grow significantly over the forecast period. Increasing product adoption in the precast concrete application due to its compatibility with the cement with high fly ash content.
- Modified Lignosulfonates (MLS):Modified lignosulfonates are expected to witness a significant decrease in market share over the forecast period owing to their comparatively lower performance than the abovementioned superplasticizers.
- Liquid Form:The liquid form segment accounted for the largest market share in 2019 andis expected to grow at the fastest pace over the forecast period. Liquid plasticizers are witnessing a higher rate of adoption in the construction industry due to their ease of use and ability to assimilate into the concrete mixture rapidly.
- Powder Form:The powder form segment is expected to grow at a robust pace owing to its lower cost and comparatively lesser sensitivity to temperature fluctuations.
- Ready-Mix Concrete (RMC):Ready-mix concrete segment is expected to remain the largest application segment over the forecast period.The rising adoption of RMC in Asia-Pacific, owing to its ability to speed up the overall construction process, is expected to be the primary factor driving the segment growth.
- Precast Concrete:Precast concrete segment is expected to grow at a significant pace over the forecast period.The growing adoption of precast concrete in constructing large infrastructure projects such as metro rail, tunnels, and bridges is expected to generate significant demand for superplasticizers over the forecast period.
- High-Performance Concrete (HPC):The high-performance concrete segment is expected to attain a significant share of the global plasticizers market by 2027. HPC is progressively replacing traditional concrete in large infrastructure projects owing to their significantly higher compressive strength and durability.
- Others:The other segment includes shotcrete, self-compacting concrete (SCC),and fly ash concrete (FAC).
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- North America:The U.S. and Canada, two of the largest economies in the North American region, are grappling with aging infrastructure and a significant shortage of affordable housing infrastructure. As a result, the infrastructure sector is expected to receive a major investment to renew and redevelop the existing infrastructures. For instance, in November 2016, The Canadian Government announced its commitment to invest USD 82 billion over the period of 11 years to strengthen its social and transportation infrastructure.
- Europe:Europe is expected to grow at a moderate pace owing to the lower construction industry growth in the key economies of Germany, the U.K., and France.Additionally, the outbreak of the CoVID-19 pandemic has significantly impacted the overall European economy and thereby negatively affecting the overall outlook for key economic sectors, including the construction industry.
- Asia-Pacific:Asia-Pacific is expected to grow at the fastest rate over the forecast period. Widescale investments in the large infrastructure development project in China, India, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Vietnam are expected to be the key factors driving regional growth.
- Latin America:Slowdown in the key economies of Argentina, Brazil, and Chile is expected to have a major impact on the demand for superplasticizers in the Latin America region.
- Middle East & Africa:The Middle East & Africa region is expected to grow at a robust pace over the forecast period. The ongoing investments in the development of infrastructure projects in Qatar, UAE, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia are the primary factors driving the product demand in the region.
- GCP Applied Technologies Inc.
- KAO Corporation
- Chembond Chemicals Limited
- Rain Carbon
Value (USD Million)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Type, Application, Form, Region
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
GCP Applied Technologies Inc.
Chembond Chemicals Limited
Key Market Opportunities
- Problems associated with cement-superplasticizer incompatibility
Key Market Drivers
- Growing preference for precast concrete construction technology.