Metal Grating Market Overview
According to MRFR analysis, Metal Grating Market is projected to register a CAGR of 7% to reach USD 1,019.9 Million by the end of 2027.
Metal gratings are parallel, elongated, and parallel elements used to cover open spaces in several industries. Metal grating due to its higher stress resistance, durability, and reliability as compared to fiber grating and aluminum is used to make trenches, stair treads, steel flooring, and decks. The grating system depends upon the load is it subjected to and is widely adopted owing to its resistance toward corrosion and the requirement of less maintenance. The product is widely used due to its corrosion resistance and minimal shrinkage properties across various end-use industries. Some of the major application areas of metal gratings are water treatment plants, aircraft and automobile manufacturing facilities, oil rigs, power plants, and chemical industry. In the market, the metal grating is popular by the trade names: JG303/30/100SG, Safegrid, Grip Span, Ladder Rungs, CM-1, and others.
The major factor favoring the growth of the market is surging demand for metal grating across several end-use industries, especially water and wastewater treatment, oil and gas, and processing. The infrastructure development across various regions in the past years has increased its application across walkways, highways, and fencing of bridges. They are also used in the manufacturing of wheelchair ramps, staircases, fence panels, security & ventilation screens, handrail infill panels, metal sunshades, building facades, decorative louvers, architectural accents, fountain floor grate, and tree grates. Thus, owing to its extensive application and the growth of the construction industry across the globe, the global metal grating market is expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period.
However, the development of fiberglass (FRP) grating is expected to pose a major threat to the growth of the metal grating market. FRP grating is a composite material manufactured by combining fiberglass and a matrix of resin. The properties of FRP grating such as high strength-to-weight ratio, UV resistance, corrosion resistance, low electrical & thermal conductivity, minimal thermal expansion, and anti-skid surface, have increased its application in multiple end-use industries such as wastewater treatment, food, building & construction, oil & gas, and chemical processing. FRP grating weighs 30% lighter than the basic density of aluminum grating and 70% than steel grating, thus making it the material of choice for applications in which lightweight gratings are needed such as stair treads, platforms, and walkways.
Pricing and Standardization Analysis
In 2018, the metal grating was priced around USD 826.3 to 831.4 per ton across the globe. In the same year, the price of bar grating varied from USD 20 to 30 per ton. The metal grating is expected to witness a gradual rise in price with a range from USD 1,012.8 to 1,133.8 per tons by 2027. This change in price is expected to be influenced by the availability and pricing of raw materials, while the demand for metal grating is expected to stream-up during the forecast period.
The stringent safety standards for metal grating on the size, materials used, product life cycle, and cost are controlled by various boards in different regions. For instance, the National Association of Architectural Metal Manufacturers (NAAMM) has the metal bar grating division, which comprises members from various countries such as the US, Canada, Mexico, and South America. The NAAMM sets standards for heavy-duty and general bar grating, which are recognized and approved by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). Similarly, STANDARDS AUSTRALIA sets requirements for the design, construction, and installation of walkways, fixed platforms, ladders, and stairways which are intended for safety purposes in places that are basically used by operating, maintenance, and inspection personnel. For instance, a steel welded bearing bar should be spaced 1 3/16 in. (30mm) on the center and crossbar spaced 4 in. (102mm) in the center according to the NAAMM. According to the STANDARDS AUSTRALIA, the design of the platform, walkways, stairways, ladders, and guard railings should be according to the standards: AS 1538, AS 3990(Int) or AS 4100 for steel, AS 1664 for aluminum, and AS 3700 for masonry. Similarly, the International Building Code (IBC) governs the standard for walkways and platforms in the US. Some of the other institutes that set standards include the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI), American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC), and American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) International.
- Amico – R series, Carbon Steel, Stainless steel, and Aluminum
- Harsco Corporation – WB – (W-19-4), WF – (W-19-2), WP product, WL product, WB Mezzanine, BS product
- Saint-Gobain – Rexus D400 Gully Grate
- Interstate Gratings – Type "W" Welded Steel Grating, Open Grip
- Lionweld Kennedy Flooring Ltd – Safegrid, Safedeck, Safegrate, Safelock, Safetread, and Safety Grating
- Ningbo Jiulong Machinery Manufacturing Co Ltd – JG series
- Nucor Corporation – Standard Grating, Grip Span, Shur Step Flooring
- Ohio Gratings Inc – W Series, R Series, SGSS Series, WSS Series
- P&R Metals, Inc – Light-Duty and Heavy Duty
- Valmont Industries, Inc
- High demand for metal gratings over other materials due to excellent corrosion resistance and other physical properties.
- Increasing demand for metal grating in the end-use industries is expected to propel the market size
- Widespread use in the walkways, platform, ramps, and stairways for multi-functional
- Demand for FRP grating due to its lightweight is expected to hamper the growth during the forecast period.
By Product Type
- Bar Grating: The bar grating segment held the largest market share of 53.6% in 2019 and is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period. This is mainly attributed to its high strength-to-weight ratio and gap ratio between the adjacent bars. These properties allow bar grating to be used extensively across various applications such as fire escapes, safety fences and gates, grills, bridges, street drains, ventilation, and trailer beds.
- Safety Grating: Metal grating that offers traction and reduces the peril of falling, tripping, or slipping over walking surfaces is known as safety grating. They are used across pedestrian walkways, such as stairs, catwalks, rooftops, bridges, footbridges, and other types of platforms.
By Material Type
- Carbon Steel: It is expected to be the largest segment in terms of application and is expected to dominate the market throughout the forecast period. The increasing application of carbon steel grating is expected to boost the growth of the segment in the coming years. The carbon steel segment held a share of over 30% in 2018 and is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period owing to its high wear resistance and strength when exposed to the corrosive environment. These materials are extensively used in industries where chemicals are used in a large amount. These types are ideal for metal grates and industrial steel grating flooring.
- Aluminum: Aluminum metal gratings are used across the bridge flooring, trench covers, ramps, platforms, and mezzanine floors due to its lightweight, non-sparking, high strength, rigid, corrosion resistance, and excellent load-bearing properties.
- Stainless Steel: Stainless steel is an alloy that consists of 10.5–11% of chromium content (minimum) and 1.2% carbon (maximum). It offers resistance to stain, corrosion, heat, and fire and is 100% recyclable. It is projected to be one of the fastest-growing segments in the metal grating market during the forecast period.
- Galvanized Steel: Steel is susceptible to oxidation, thus, it is galvanized, where it is dipped into a coating of zinc generally to offer protection against washdowns and chemicals. This type of steel is used in the chemical and oil and gas industries.
- Others: The other segment includes mild steel, perforated steel, and others.
- Water & Wastewater Treatment Industry: It is expected to be the largest segment holding a 34.6% share by 2027. The increasing use of gratings in various structures and designs from walkways to filtration grills in water treatment facilities due to its physical properties such as extreme rigidity and corrosion resistance allows them to be used to make ladders, structural platforms, and railings.
- Chemical Industry: This segment is expected to grow due to the increasing focus of chemical manufacturers on non-corrosive materials. The non-corrosive and recyclability of the metal grating materials is expected to boost the demand in this sector. This is the fastest-growing segment in the global metal grating market.
- Oil & Gas: The segment is expected to grow due to the increasing application of metal grating, which is used across the offshore drilling rigs, refineries, and oil and gas industries. They are used across walkways, trench covers, platforms, and others.
- Food Industry: The metal grating in the food industry is required in high-moisture environments to provide nonslip and corrosion-resistant surfaces.
- Others: The other segment include marine, building and construction, aerospace, automotive, small scale manufacturing plants, and others.
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- North America: Metal gratings are extensively used in construction activities of residential and commercial buildings, which is expected to propel the growth of the North American market. Among the top metropolitan cities, the growth of the construction industry in 2019 increased by 17% in Oklahoma City, 15% in Las Vegas, 15% in Hartford, and by 14% in Houston. In addition, the construction of non-residential buildings increased by 4% in 2018, while residential buildings increased by 6% owing to the increase in single-family dwellings by 9% in 2019. These factors is expected to create momentum for the growth of the metal grating market in the region due to its high usage in rail, ladders, and other constructional structures.
- Europe: The European region is expected to be the fastest market in terms of growth during the forecast period. The development of wastewater management plants and an increase in the development of chemical industries are the major factors driving the metal grating market growth in the region.
- Asia-Pacific: Held the largest market share, over 35%, in 2019 and is projected to retain its dominance during the forecast period. This is primarily due to the high demand for metal grating in the manufacturing industries of chemical, oil & gas, power plants, and chemical and other processing industries. The extensive use of bridge flooring, trench covers, walkways, ramps, platforms, catwalks, and mezzanine floors among others in the industries is propelling the growth of metal grates in the region
- Latin America: Relatively small but rapidly expanding chemical industry and other manufacturing industries such as food processing, oil rigs, and others are expected to boost the market growth for the metal grating market in the region.
- Middle East & Africa: This region has invested in its oil & gas industries over the years and has a vast growth potential, which is expected to impact the global metal gratings market size. Saudi Arabia has continued its diversification in the downstream sector, while the UAE, Iraq, and Iran has developed the upstream sector. Some of the projects such as Zubair Oil Field with over USD 18 billion investment in Iraq, South Pars Phases 13- 14 in Iran, Kish Gas Field in Iran, and development of the Petro Rabigh Integrated Refinery & Petrochemical Complex in Saudi Arabia are a major some of the major constructional developments which is expected to boost the metal grating market size in the review period.
Speak to Analyst
Ask for Customization
2030: USD 1,019.9 Million
2019 & 2020
Value (USD Million)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Product Type, Material Type, End-User and Region
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Amico, Harsco Corporation, Saint-Gobain, Interstate Gratings, Lionweld Kennedy Flooring Ltd, Ningbo Jiulong Machinery, Manufacturing Co Ltd, Nucor Corporation, Ohio Gratings Inc, P&R Metals, Inc, Valmont Industries, Inc
Key Market Opportunities
Widespread use in the walkways, platform, ramps, and stairways for multi-functional
Key Market Drivers
High demand for metal gratings over other materials due to excellent corrosion resistance and other physical properties.\r\nIncreasing demand for metal grating in the end-use industries is expected to propel the market size.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
Global metal grating market is estimated to expand at a CAGR of 5.38% by the end of 2025.
Global metal grating market is estimated to acquire a market value of USD 1,019.9 million by the end of 2025.
The increasing demand for metal grating across various end-user industries, majorly water and wastewater treatment, oil and gas, and processing are projected to increase the global metal grating market.
Europe is projected to be the fastest growing market during the assessment period.
Amico, Ningbo Jiulong Machinery Manufacturing Co Ltd, Ohio Gratings Inc,, and Lionweld Kennedy Flooring Ltd are some of the eminent players of the global metal grating market.