According to MRFR analysis, the Gum Rosin Market is expected to register a CAGR of 4.16% during the forecast period.
Rosin, commonly known as Greek pitch, is a naturally occurring thermoplastic resin extracted from different species of coniferous trees. Depending upon the method of recovery, there are numerous types of rosin available for industrial purposes, namely gum rosin, wood rosin, and tall oil rosin. Among all, the gum rosin constitutes 60% of the total rosin production. This rosin is mainly obtained from the pine trees and finds great importance in various applications such as adhesives, printing inks, and cosmetics. Gum rosins are differentiated into miscellaneous grades on the account of their color and softening point. For instance, gum rosin WG, with softening point of 75°C, is primarily used in numerous organic solvents to produce inks and coatings.
The major factor driving the growth of the global market is increasing demand for the product in the adhesives and sealants industry. Gum rosin derivatives are used as an ingredient in hot melt adhesives and pressure-sensitive adhesives to add strength, plasticity, and viscosity properties to adhesives. Additionally, gum rosin owing to their high solubility can be easily dissolved in alcohol, turpentine, and other organic solvents, thus it is widely used in the paints and coating industry. This is further fueling the global market growth.
Furthermore, owing to the stringent environmental regulations, the increasing use of bio-based adhesives in multifarious end-use industries mainly packaging, healthcare, and building & construction is projected to create lucrative opportunities for the key players operating in the global gum rosin market.
However, limited performance capabilities of gum rosin as compared to conventional resin is expected to pose a limitation to the global market growth. Additionally, the volatile raw material prices are further projected to hinder the growth of the global market during the review period.
The readily available petroleum resin substitutes such as C5, C9 and Dicyclopentadiene (DCPD) are likely to restrict the global market growth.
Pricing and Standards
Some of the known standards for sampling rosin are: American Standards for Testing Materials: ASTM D465-82 for “Standard Test of Methods for Acid Number of Rosin”, ASTM D509-70 for “Standard Methods of Sampling and Grading Rosin” and International Standard: IS 553: 1984 for “Specification for Rosin (Gum Rosin)”.
- In 2018, gum rosin was priced around USD 1900–2200 per ton across the globe. The product has witnessed a gradual rise of USD 0.19 to 0.40 in its price from 2015 till 2018 and this trend is likely to continue during the forecast period owing to fluctuating raw material prices.
- High demand for gum rosins in adhesives & sealants and rubber industries.
- Limited performance capabilities of gum rosin.
- Volatile raw material prices.
- Adoption of bio-based resin in major end-use industries.
- Use of gum rosins to produce biocompatible adhesives in the healthcare industry.
- Availability of petroleum resin substitutes.
- WW: The WW segment accounted for around 72% of the global gum rosin market share in 2018. The segment is projected to register the highest CAGR during the forecast period on the account of excellent workability of WW gum rosin in major applications including printing inks, paper sizing, adhesives and sealing wax.
- WG: This gum rosin is yellow in color and provides glossy appearance, thus is used in cosmetics and soaps.
- K: The K grade exhibits special chemical activity and finds applications in paints and inks.
- X: X grade gum rosins are used in bookbinding, tapes and labels and other contact adhesives.
By End-Use Industry
- Adhesives & Sealants: The segment held a dominant share in 2018 and is expected to follow a similar trend during the assessment period. Gum rosins on the account of superior adhesive properties are majorly used as a binder component in adhesives, thus is widely used in the production of rubber-, plant-based, and synthetic adhesives.
- Rubber: To increase the endurance and elasticity of rubber products, gum rosin is extensively used as a softening agent in the rubber industry.
- Paints & Coatings: On the account of high solubility, rosins in the form of resonates are used in lacquers. Additionally, they are also used in the production of thermoplastic road paints.
- Printing Inks: Gum rosin as a color carrier and color adhesives agent are used in the production of printing inks.
- Food & Beverage: Gum rosin and derivatives are used as a tackifier in chewing gums and emulsifiers in soft drinks.
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Asia-Pacific: The regional market held the largest gum rosin market share in 2018 and is projected to register the highest CAGR during the forecast period. This is primarily due to the high demand for the product in the expanding paints & coatings industry in the region. China, followed by India and Southeast Asian countries, is expected to be the leading country-level market. In addition, the rising construction & infrastructure activities in the region further propel the regional market growth.
- North America: The high demand for gum rosins especially WW and W grades in the well-established end-use industry, e.g., adhesive & sealants, is expected to contribute to the regional market growth.
- Europe: High demand for biodegradable resin is the prime factor driving the regional market growth.
- Latin America: Rising industrialization is expected to boost the market growth for gum rosin in the region.
- Middle East & Africa: The growing construction activities in the region is contributing the regional market growth.
- Eastman Chemical Company (US)
- Naval Overseas (Indonesia)
- Deqing Yinlong Industrial Co., Ltd. (China)
- midhills (India)
- INDONESIA PINUS (Indonesia)
- Wuzhou Pine Chemicals Ltd. (China)
- Merck KGaA (Germany)
- pihera (Mexico)
- Sharda Industries (India)
- Arakawa Chemical Industries, Ltd. (Japan)
- MEGARA RESINS (Greece)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
The gum rosin market can expand at 4.16% CAGR by 2025.
By 2025, the gum rosin market value can significantly escalate.
Eastman Chemical Company (US), Deqing Yinlong Industrial Co., Ltd. (China), Naval Overseas (Indonesia), and Eastman Chemical Company (US) are some reputed names in the gum rosin market.
The demand for gum rosin as adhesive can promote the gum rosin market.
The ease of accessibility of petroleum resin can restrain the gum rosin market.