Fiber-Reinforced Plastic Market Overview
According to MRFR analysis, the Fiber-Reinforced Plastic (FRP) Grating Market is projected to register a CAGR of 4.52% to reach USD 688.59 Million by the end of 2027.
Fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP) is a composite material fabricated by combining fiberglass and a matrix of resin. FRP grating offers properties such as corrosion resistance, high strength-to-weight ratio, UV resistance, minimal thermal expansion, low electrical & thermal conductivity, and anti-skid surface. These properties are expected to fuel the demand for these grating across various end-use industries such as building & construction, oil & gas, wastewater treatment, food & beverage, and chemical processing.
The key factors favoring the growth of the fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP) grating market are increasing investments in the infrastructure sector, rising demand for FRP grating across various end-use industries, low life cycle cost of FRP gratings, and growing awareness regarding the advantages of FRP grating over conventional gratings. For instance, FRP grating weighs 30% lighter than aluminum grating and 75% than steel grating, thus making it a material of choice for applications such as stair treads, walkways, and platforms, where lightweight gratings are preferred.
Moreover, FRP gratings being impervious to corrosion from metal salts and acids give them an upper hand over conventional grating materials in end-use industries, where these chemicals are used. This is further expected to boost the market growth during the forecast period.
However, the high cost associated with the disposal and recyclability of fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP) grating is a challenge and is expected to hinder the market growth during the forecast period.
The stringent regulations set by government bodies for the disposal of conventional grating materials is compelling manufacturers to adopt polymeric composite grating materials, which is expected to boost the market growth during the forecast. Aluminum waste or aluminum production waste can be considered hazardous according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards EPA 40 CFR Sec. 261.23, for ‘it reacts violently with water’; EPA 40 CFR Sec. 261.21; European Standards –EN ISO 14129, for ’determination of the in-plane shear stress/shear strain response’; The International Organization for Standardization – ISO 22088, for ‘determination of resistance to environmental stress cracking’.
- Strongwell Corporation (US) — DURAGRATE
- Gebrüder Meiser GmbH (Germany) — I-Bar
- Bedford Reinforced Plastics (US) — PROgrate
- AGC Matex Co. Ltd. (Japan) — GS type grating
- Euro grade Fiberglass Grating (Italy) — EUROGRATE
- Ferrotech International FZE (UAE)
- LOCKERGROUP — Vinyl Ester ‘V’ Yellow Fibreglass Grating
- Fibergrate Composite Structures Inc. (US) — Safe-T-Span
- Techno Composites Domine GmbH (UK)
- Exel Composites (Finland)
- AMROCK (US)
- AIMS INTERNATIONAL (US)
- Increasing investments in the infrastructure sector
- Growing demand for FRP grating across various end-use industries
- Low life cycle costs of FRP gratings
- Growing awareness regarding the advantages of FRP grating over conventional gratings
- High cost associated with the disposal and recyclability of FRP gratings
By Material Type
- Vinyl Ester Resin: Vinyl ester resin held the largest market share in 2018. The growth is due to superior properties of vinyl ester resin such as durability and impact resistance over polyester resin.
- Polyester Resin: It held a significant share of the global fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP) market owing to its low cost and wide usage in end-use industries where gratings are prolonged exposure to water.
By Product Type
- Molded Fiberglass Gratings: They are easier to produce, and cost less as compared to pultruded fiberglass gratings. Moreover, these grating are corrosion resistant and non-conductive.
- Pultruded Fiberglass Gratings: They are light weighted gratings with high strength and resistant toward environmental changes. The major advantage of pultruded fiberglass grating is they can be tailored to fit a wide range of profiles.
By End-Use Industry
- Building and Construction: The segment held the largest share of the global FRP grating market, this growth is due to the consumption of FRP grating in applications such as rooftop solar panel walkway, sunscreens, fencings, and railings.
- Wastewater Treatment: The growing use of FRP grating in building tank structures & equipment access platforms, weir plates & scum baffles, and handrails for basins is expected to boost the growth of the global market.
- Chemical: FRP gratings are used in chemical facilities owing to their corrosion and slip resistance properties and less need for maintenance.
- Food & Beverages: In this segment, they are installed on the surface of stairs, handrails, and ladders for slip resistance.
- Oil & Gas: The increasing demand for FRP grating in the oil & gas industry in the fabrication of stairways, floating facilities, bridges, and catwalks is likely to boost the growth of the global market.
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Asia-Pacific: The regional market held the largest share of the global fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP) grating market in 2018. The growth is attributed to the expanding building and construction industry coupled with increasing investments in the infrastructure sector supported by government agencies. For instance, in June 2018, the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) announced a USD 200 million investment in the National Investment & Infrastructure Fund (NIIF).
- North America: The regional market held second-largest share in 2018. The increasing reconstruction activities is the major factor propelling the growth of the North American market. In addition, the increasing application of FRP gratings in the wastewater treatment industry for building elevated platforms & walkways is likely to boost the product demand in the regional market. For instance, in 2019, the “American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA)”, predicts the growth of the US construction market at a rate of 4.2%.
- Europe: With the presence of well-established oil & gas, chemical, and food & beverage industries, the demand for gratings is growing at a significant rate in the region. Moreover, the growing adoption of green materials in the building & construction industry is further expected to boost the growth of the global fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP) gratings market in the region.
- Middle East & Africa: The region is expected to witness positive growth owing to the increase in the usage of FRP gratings in the infrastructure sector for applications such as decking & docks, fair park fountain, and pool drainage covers.
- Latin America: The increasing construction activities in the region is expected to boost the market growth for FRP grating in the region.
2027: USD 688.59 Million
Value (USD Million)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Material Type, Product Type, End-Use and Region
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Strongwell Corporation (US) — DURAGRATE, Gebrüder Meiser GmbH (Germany) — I-Bar, Bedford Reinforced Plastics (US) — PROgrate, AGC Matex Co. Ltd. (Japan) — GS type grating, Euro grade Fiberglass Grating (Italy) — EUROGRATE, Ferrotech International FZE (UAE), LOCKERGROUP — Vinyl Ester ‘V’ Yellow Fibreglass Grating, Fibergrate Composite Structures Inc. (US) — Safe-T-Span, Techno Composites Domine GmbH (UK), Exel Composites (Finland), AMROCK (US), AIMS INTERNATIONAL (US)
Key Market Opportunities
High cost associated with the disposal and recyclability of FRP gratings
Key Market Drivers
Increasing investments in the infrastructure sector. Growing demand for FRP grating across various end-use industries. Low life cycle costs of FRP gratings. Growing awareness regarding the advantages of FRP grating over conventional gratings
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
fiber-reinforced plastic grating market is projected to grow at a 4.52% CAGR between 2019-2025.
fiber-reinforced plastic grating market is predicted to touch USD 688.59 million by 2025.
The Asia Pacific is projected to dominate the fiber-reinforced plastic grating market.
Low lifecycle cost and growing demand across different end use industries are the key factors driving the fiber-reinforced plastic grating market growth.
High cost related to disposal and recyclability may limit the fiber-reinforced plastic grating market growth.