In terms of volume, the child presence detection system market is expected to reach 57,762.6 thousand units by 2035, registering a 47.31% CAGR during the forecast period.
A child can be left unattended in a car and thus exposed to heatstroke risk. The child presence detection system is developed to solve this problem. With the help of alarm and communication systems, it can alert caretakers or passers-by if a child was left unattended in the car by sending out alert notifications. This is a highly accurate and reliable radar system made to detect even the vital signs of sleeping newborns. The child presence detection system market is driven by factors such as an increasing number of deaths of children trapped in hot vehicles and an increase in the sale of SUVs & luxury vehicles. However, the high cost of the system may restrain the market growth. Government initiatives and regulations related to children's safety in hot cars are expected to create opportunities for the market players.
ECONOMIC IMPACT ON AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY
With the continuous spread of the novel coronavirus across the world, auto makers are taking extreme measures likeshutting down plants to contain the spread of COVID-19. The situation continues to be uncertain as more European companies suspend work activities and the US and Asia-Pacific automakers extend shutdown periods. Despite the automakers' plans of North American production to slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus, currently, the region is the epicenter of the outbreak in the world, with daily confirmed cases surpassing any other region. In the US and Canada, government response has been a combination of state or provincial, federal, and local measures. In other regions, the countries' governments are applying seemingly ever-more stringent conditions on social interaction, travel, and workplace attendance. These regions are experiencing similar situations, which have a marked effect on the economy as well as society and causing massive economic disruption, with the automotive industry at the center of this turmoil.
IMPACT ON SUPPLY CHAIN
All countries across the globe are trying to strike a balance between protecting health, minimizing economic and social disruption, and respecting human rights. The growing spread of the Coronavirus has led todisruption in the markets. Restrictions on shipping and industrial production are affecting multiple supply chains. Distribution of components is the key process in manufacturing industries, which is facing challenges such as staffing of warehouses, a need for direct distribution, and more intelligent and responsive allocation across channels due to pandemic which led to pressure on supply chains. The impact of the disruption on the US and countries across Europe from the disruptions will be significant, which will have a huge effecton the world economy and badly disrupt global supply chains.
Children trapped in overheated cars can be fatal. On average, there are 38 heatstroke-related deaths per year in the US alone. Experts found that even when it was just 16°C outside, the temperature inside a closed car could reach more than 40°C in just an hour, which is extremely dangerous and potentially fatalfor a child.Heat-related brain injuries range from minor syndromes to life-threatening emergencies. As per the National Safety Council (NSC), more children died in hot cars in 2018 than any other year on record in the US, with 52 children dying from pediatric vehicular heatstroke. As per the NSC, the number of deaths of minors due to overheated cars in 2020 was 24, and in both 2018 and 2019, a record number of 53 children died due to the same.
- INCREASING NUMBER OF DEATHS OF CHILDREN TRAPPED IN HOT VEHICLES
The sales of SUVs are growing rapidly owing to the rising awareness regarding off-road conditions and government subsidies and schemes. SUVs offered the same elevated driving position as vans and other vehicles but added an outdoorsy image, even if few ventured off-road. SUVs are synonymous with four-wheel-drive systems due to their origins in off-road vehicles. Consumers worldwide are flocking towards sport utility vehicles (SUVs) and away from traditional sedans, wagons, and hatchbacks. In China, whereas road car sales increased by around 50% from 2010 to 2018, SUV sales soared by a record 600% over the same period. Thus, the growing demand for SUVs is expected to lead to innovation and development in child presence detection system products.
The monitoring of vehicles, drivers, children, and passengers is expensive. It has complex operations as it features a larger number of software and hardware such as sensors, video cameras, and other accessories used to analyze the vehicle and children's behavior. The operational cost of a child presence detection system depends on various factors such as advanced technology and vehicle type. The working operations of child presence detection systems are expensive due to the moderate investment and repair & maintenance costs involved in the development of advanced technology. Furthermore, the components and materials used in the child presence detection system technology systems must be selected as per international standards such as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). This increases the cost of high-quality raw materials and components used to manufacture child presence detection systems. Therefore, the high cost of the system is expected to restrain the growth of the global child presence detection system market during the forecast period.
- INCREASE IN SALE OF SUVS AND LUXURY VEHICLES
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has made a set of guidelines regarding infant car seats. The guidelines are consistent with the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommendations about choosing the most appropriate car seat for the child. AAP provides an External Web Site Policy listfor car and safety seat manufacturers. For example, in California, children under seven cannot be left alone in any vehicle unless supervised by someone who is 12 years old at least. In Florida, children below six years of age cannot be left alone in a vehicle for longer than 15 minutes if it is off, and if it is running, the child cannot be left alone inside it at all.Thus, the government initiatives and regulations related to children's safety in hot cars are expected to create opportunities for the global child presence detection system market during the forecast period.
- GOVERNMENT INITIATIVES AND REGULATIONS RELATED TO CHILDREN SAFETY IN HOT CARS
The global child presence detection system market has been segmented based on sensor type, vehicle propulsion, sales channel, and vehicle type.
- Based on sensor type, the global market has been segmented into ultrasonic, radar, pressure, and others. Radar sensors are an effective technology for detecting the presence of a child. As the sensing technology, radar fits the application requirements while also minimizing the privacy concerns that other sensing technologies such as cameras have.Ultrasonic sensors can convert electrical energy into acoustic waves. The presence of humans is determined by analyzing the echoes received at the receiver array. These sensors are devices that detect ultrasonic waves.Pressure sensors measure and convert changes in applied pressure or force into an electric charge. When installed in a car seat, they can detect the existence of a human being by arranging sensor logic to distinguish between an individual, an infant, and belongings. Others include temperature, sound, and LiDAR sensors.
- Based on vehicle type, the global child presence detection system market is segmented into the hatchback, sedan, SUV, MUV. Earlier, hatchbacks had either two or four doors and a one-piece flip-up tailgatecalled a hatch on their squared-off tails. Examples of newer hatchbacks include the Mazda 3, Honda Civic Sport, Hyundai Elantra GT, and Toyota Corolla hatchback.One of the biggest appeals of sports utility vehicles (SUVs) is their off-road compatibility. People living in rural areas usually prefer SUVs because of their powerful engine and 4-wheel or all-wheel-drive feature.
- Multi-Utility Vehicles (MUVs) are much more cost-effective than SUVs in several ways. The initial cost is less as most MUVs have smaller engines than SUVs; the simplified layout reduces the number of moving parts. Furthermore, fewer moving parts translates into fewer parts that can fail, resulting in reduced servicing costs.The child presence detection system in MUVs alerts caretakers or passers-by if a child is left unattended in the car.
- Based on sales channels, the global child presence detection system market is segmented into OEM and aftermarket. The processes in the OEM segment include production, procurement, and installation of child monitoring and cabin sensing features.Many automotive manufacturing companies are working on ensuring safety and comfort to comply with the recent and upcoming child presence detector technology worldwide. OEM is more credible and authentic to the automotive manufacturer. For instance, in June 2016, General Motors launched a new technology for the GMC Acadia called the “Rear Seat Reminder” to remind busy parents to check the back seat before leaving the car. The aftermarket is associated with the secondary manufacturing market, which is associated with the manufacturing, distributing, or retailing of the automobile-related products and installing a child presence detection system after various components installed in the vehicle are retailed by the vehicle OEMs. In addition, the increase in distributors, retailers, and online channel partners is expected to increase the demand for aftermarket child presence detection systems.
- Based on vehicle propulsion, the global child presence detection system market is segmented into electric vehicles and ICE vehicles. The electric vehiclessegment comprises hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs), plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), and battery electric vehicles (BEVs). As per the IEAEV30@30 Scenario, the global sales of EVs are expected to reach 44 million vehicles annually by 2030. An ICE vehicle converts the stored energy in fuel to heat, which is then converted to mechanical power to drive the vehicle. As per the stats provided by JATO Dynamics Ltd, a global supplier of automotive business intelligence solutions based in the UK, during the H1 2019, the global sales of ICE vehicles accounted for more than 90% of the total passenger car sales. Such factors are expected to drive the growth of the ICE vehicle segment during the forecast period.
- Based on region, the Global Child Presence Detection System Market report has been divided into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the rest of the world.
- North America is anticipated to be the largest contributor to the child presence detection system market. This includes the US, Canada, and Mexico. The key factor driving the market's growth is the rising demand for design safety improvements in the automobile sector, which has significantly contributed to the growth of the child presence detection system market in this region. Furthermore, growing awareness regarding heatstroke deaths in cars boosts the growth of the child presence detection system market. Several manufacturing companies in North America are significantly adopting advanced technologies to enhance their business operations. The region has been swift to implement new technology for the automotive sector.
- Moreover, safety regulations and lawmakers have warned of the dangers of leaving children and infants in hot cars. The increased awareness regarding such systems, particularly among the US manufacturers, to equip cars with child presence detection or similar safety monitoring systems to avoid vehicle heatstroke-related deaths. The strong financial condition of the companies in the region is allowing them to invest in enhancing the operational efficiency of child presence detection systems. For instance, by the 2025 model year, all passenger vehicles sold in the US will come with standard rear-seat reminder systems that remind the parents to check the back seats for children to stop heatstroke deaths.
- Asia-Pacific significantly contributes to the growth of the overall child presence detection system market, owing to the increasing implementation of advanced sensing technology, detecting machine, radar technology, and imaging technology across business organizations. Asia-Pacific is expected to uphold its dominance over the forecast period. China, India, Japan, South Korea, and Australia are the largest contributors to the regional market. The growth of the manufacturing sector and the advancement of infrastructure in developing countries have opened new opportunities for automotive manufacturers. As a result, Asia-Pacific is expected to be the fastest-growing market for child presence detection systems. China is the leading market in terms of global vehicle sales. The country is one of the major revenue-generating countries in the Asia-Pacific child presence detection system market. In China, the transportation sector is positioned effectively to benefit from long-term changes in demographics, technology, consumption, and government policy.
- The worldwide child presence detection system market is characterized by many local, regional, and global vendors. The market is very competitive, with all the players continually competing to gain a larger market share. High competition, rapid advances in technology, frequent changes in government policies, and stringent environmental regulations are some of the critical factors that could restrain the market growth. The vendors compete in terms of cost, product quality, reliability, and aftermarket services. They must provide cost-effective and efficient products to survive and succeed in a competitive market environment.Infineon Technologies AG, Continental AG, Robert Bosch GmbH, Denso Corporation, ZF Friedrichshafen AG, and Magna International Inc. are some of the key players operating in the global market. These companies compete in terms of availability, quality, price, and technology and consider product development and partnerships & collaborations as their key strategies in the global child presence detection system market. Although the international players dominate the market, regional and local players also have a significant presence. The international players can fortify their presence in the global market by heavily investing in product development during the forecast period.
- Infineon Technologies AG, Continental AG, Robert Bosch GmbH, Denso Corporation, ZF Friedrichshafen AG, and Magna International Inc. are a few of the key players operating in the global market.
- January 2021: IEE S.A. has developed its VitaSense, the world’s first interior radar sensing solution for Unattended Child Detection (UCD) in vehicles. The system can detect the vital signs of a newborn baby and help prevent tragic hot car deaths.
- December 2020: Infineon developed the first completely autonomous 60 GHz radar sensor MMIC for motion sensing applications.
- December 2020: NXP Semiconductors announced the launch of a complete suite of new radar sensor chipset solutions that can surround vehicles in a 360-degree safety cocoon and enable imaging radar identification and classification capabilities.
- July 2019: Faurecia developed a cockpit domain controller for coordinating the different sensor technologies that can be used for safety and occupant & child presence detection in a vehicle.
- January 2019: Continental AG developed a flexible 5G Hybrid communication solution that allows mobile network communication and rapid & reliable direct data exchange.
- STMicroelectronics has collaborated with Eyeris for development of a suite of applications of the interior of vehicles, one of which includes the child presence detection system.
- The global child presence detection system market has been segmented based on sensor type, vehicle propulsion, sales channel, and vehicle type.The child presence detection system market is driven by factors such as the increasing number of deaths of children trapped in hot vehicles and the increase in the sale of SUVs & luxury vehicles. However, the system’s high cost is expected to restrain the market growth. Government initiatives and regulations related to children's safety in hot cars are expected to create market players' opportunities.
- By Sensor Type-Radar Sensor, Ultrasonic Sensor, Pressure Sensor, Others
- By Vehicle Propulsion–Electric Vehicle, ICE Vehicle
- By Vehicle Type–Hatchback, Sedan, SUV, MUV
- By Sales Channel- OEM, Aftermarket
Speak to Analyst
Ask for Customization
2035: 57,762.6 thousand units
47.31% CAGR : 2020-2027
Value (USD units)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
by Sensor Type, Vehicle Propulsion, Sales Channel, Vehicle Type
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Infineon Technologies AG, Continental AG, Robert Bosch GmbH, Denso Corporation, ZF Friedrichshafen AG, and Magna International Inc.
Key Market Opportunities
Government initiatives and regulations related to children safety in hot cars
Key Market Drivers
Increasing number of deaths of children trapped in hot vehicles Increasing number of deaths of children trapped in hot vehicles
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
Child Presence Detection System market is predicted to grow at 47.31% through forecast period of 2020-2027.
The forecast period for Child Presence Detection System market research report is 2020-2027.
Global Child Presence Detection System market is dominated by North America.