Caustic Soda Market Overview
Caustic Soda Market is projected to be worth USD 69.27 billion by 2030, registering a CAGR of 6.12% during the forecast period (2021 - 2030)., The market was valued at USD 44.51 billion in 2021.Caustic Soda is used mainly for building blocks in industrial processes. As it contains the NaOH formula, it is highly corrosive in both liquid and solid forms. In contact with skin, it can cause skin rashes as well.
As caustic soda is also commonly used for different industries such as soaps & detergents, paper & pulp, textile finishing, water treatment, metal processing, refining bauxite, and others. In the past few years, the demand for caustic soda has increased a lot. The increased demand for paper has also increased the growth of the market for caustic soda. Rising demand for tissues, graphic paper, and others have propelled the growth of this market very much.
Covid 19 Analysis
COVID 19 pandemic has affected almost all the industries around the world. The caustic soda market is one of them, which suffered a significant revenue loss during the pandemic. It has affected the supply chain and production in the caustic soda market. In most of the regions, the productions were paused during the pandemic. Recently, most of them started to open and work very hard to meet the market requirements.
Because of the COVID 19 spread, people started to use disposable paper products that increased the demand for the caustic soda market. Also, the activities such as pulp and paper, water treatment, and chemical manufacturing have increased which is connected with caustic soda market growth.
Caustic Soda Market Dynamics
The alumina industry is closely related to caustic soda just like water treatment, pulp and paper, and chemical manufacturing. The alumina production has increased a lot in the past few years that affected the caustic soda market. During the forecast period, the industry is prepared to come up with new ideas and lightweight products that are most likely to drive the growth.
Another very important factor that is accelerating the growth of this market is the rapid expansion of the chemical industry. It is used for the manufacturing process of solvents, pharmaceuticals, inks, dyes, fabrics, herbicides, synthetic fibers, adhesives, coatings, and bleach as a reactant. So, the growth of the caustic soda market is expected to be very high in the forecast period.
The COVID 19 has affected the production and supply of chain but it has also offered plenty of opportunities for the caustic soda market to grow in the upcoming years. The use of products that are related to caustic soda has increased very much such as paper bags, paper cups, pharmaceuticals, industrial chemicals, and many more. It helped the business to grow more in the forecast period and provided opportunities to recover the loss of revenue during the pandemic. The cell technology of membrane is also expected to create growth opportunities for the market players.
There are some of the restraining factors that can hold back the growth rate of the caustic soda market. If sodium hydroxide gets mixed with tin, aluminum, zinc, copper, and others, then it can create some explosive gas mixtures and toxic substances. It can become a great treat for both animals and humans if exposed. The corrosive nature of it is expected to affect the market growth as it is not good for humans and the environment. Many other factors can hold down the growth of the market but with continued research and innovations, the market is expected to overcome it.
In the forecast period, the caustic soda market has to face many challenges that will slow down growth. Toxic gas production is created when it is exposed to tin, zinc, aluminum, and others. Also, the energy-intensive operations are also expected to impact the growth rate of the caustic soda market. In some of the regions like Europe and North America, the decline of consumption of products like PVD has also created challenges for the market growth of caustic soda.
Cumulative Growth Analysis
The caustic soda market growth is expected to reach nearly USD 55.,557.7 in the forecast period with a CAGR of around 3.1%. The recorded market size of the caustic soda market was approx USD 44,959.2 in 2019. In the past few years, the market growth has increased a lot due to high demand. After COVID 19, the growth is expected to propel even more with more opportunities.
Value Chain Analysis
As caustic soda is used in many different industries such as pharmaceuticals, food, chemical, metals, paper, and others, the value of this market is very high. The demand of this market has increased recently with the rising need for paper, organic chemicals, tactile, water treatment, and other industries.
The global caustic soda market is divided into 2 different segments as by type and by the application. Here the largest market share and sub-segments are given below.
- Construction Materials Caustic Magnesia
- Animal Feed Caustic Magnesia
- High-Grade Caustic Magnesia
Based on region, the global caustic soda market is divided into the Americas, Asia-Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa. Among all of them, Asia Pacific holds the highest market share around 52.3%. The region is expected to have more than a 5.5% CAGR during the forecast period. After Asia-Pacific, the second-largest share of the market is occupied by North America with the rising demand in the paper industry. Both Middle East & Africa and Europe are also expected to have high growth by the end of 2028.
Recently, many new companies are joining the market of caustic soda with new innovations and strategies. However, here are some of the major companies of the caustic soda market such as Formosa Plastics Corporation, Solvay, Tata Chemicals Limited, AkzoNobel NV, DowDuPont, Westlake Chemical Corporation, and many more.
List of Major Companies in the global Caustic Soda Market are:
- October 2021- Olin, a global manufacturer, and distributor of chemical products and a leading U.S. manufacturer of ammunition, announced a permanent shut down of its remaining diaphragm-grade chlor-alkali capacity at its Alabama production plant. The shutdown is likely to be completed by the third quarter of 2022. McIntosh's Alabama-based unit can produce 500,500 mt/year of chlorine and 550,000 mt/year of caustic soda. Olin shut 50% or 200,000 mt/year in March 2021 of diaphragm-grade caustic soda capacity at the plant. The completion of the shutdown will leave the plant with only membrane-grade capacity.
- March 2021- Tamilnadu Petroproducts Ltd (TPL), an Indian company, plans to boost the capacity of its linear alkylbenzene (LAB) and caustic soda plants and build up the latest propylene recovery unit (PRU) at its complex at Manali in southern Tamil Nadu state as fraction its development plans.The development project is projected to charge around Indian Rupees (Rs) 4.35bn ($59.2m), the company stated in a filing to the Bombay Stock Exchange on 30 March. The firm plans to enhance the capacity at its LAB plant to 145,000 tonnes/year from 120,000 tonnes/year currently.The project will charge over Rs2.4bn and will be built within 24 months of receiving regulatory approvals. The company plans to invest Rs1.65bn in transforming its caustic soda unit, which will boost its capacity from 150 tonnes/day to 250 tonnes/day.
- Grasim Industries, which is a company of Aditya Birla group has announced the big plan of investing more than USD 144.26 million in the caustic soda market and new products that are chlorine-based in 2019 February. This is expected to increase the revenue additionally by 173.11 million every year.
- AkzoNobel specialty chemicals planned to expand their business by manufacturing high purity vacuum salt at the Delfzijl site, Netherlands in 2017 December. They are trying to increase the demand for a high purity vacuum in the European region.
- Lords Chloro Alkali announced in March 2019 that they are planning to expand the capacity of manufacturing caustic soda at Rajasthan, Alwar. The project worth more than USD 51.35 million is expected to expand the products like caustic soda, chlorine, hydraulic acid, and others.
- Aditya Birla firm Grasim Industries announced in 2019 February about the plan to the business of Chlor-alkali of the KRP Industries for around 36.49 million.
- November 2020: Meghmani Finechem, a subsidiary of Meghmani Organics, is expanding its Caustic Soda Plant from 294000 TPA to 400000 TPA and upgrading its Captive Power Plant from 96 MW to 132 MW. This latest plant is scheduled to be operating by March 2022. It is expected to add a gross revenue of USD 3.41 billion per annum.
- In September 2021, Westlake Chemical announced force majeure on upstream vinyl chloride monomer (VCM) and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) post the impacts of Hurricane Ida. Westlake has nearly 1.168mn t/yr of PVC capacity combined at two plants in Plaquemine and Geismar, Louisiana. Both plants will remain shut following the storm that came ashore near Port Fourchon, Louisiana, in August 2021.
This report provides all the information about the growth of the global caustic soda market in the forecast period. There are different sections available that help to get in-depth information such as opportunities, challenges, drivers, COVID 19 analysis, regional analysis, competitive landscape, and others. All of the information is gathered from primary and secondary sources to provide the expected market growth of caustic soda by 2030.
- Middle East & Africa
| Market Size
| 2030: USD 69.27 billion
| 6.12% (2021-2030)
| Base Year
| Forecast Period
| 2022 to 2030
| Historical Data
| 2019 & 2020
| Forecast Units
| Value (USD Million)
| Report Coverage
| Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
| Segments Covered
| Type, Application and End-Use
| Geographies Covered
| North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
| Key Vendors
| Olin Corporation, Tata Chemicals Limited, Formosa Plastics Corporation, Westlake Chemical Corporation, Occidental Petroleum Corporation, Xinjiang Zhongtai Chemical Co. Ltd, Gujarat Alkalies and Chemical Limited, Hanwha Chemical, AkzoNobel NV, Covestro AG, PPG Industries, FMC Corporation, Brenntag North America Inc.
| Key Market Opportunities
| The use of products that are related to caustic soda has increased very much such as paper bags, paper cups, pharmaceuticals, industrial chemicals, and many more.
| Key Market Drivers
| The alumina production has increased a lot in the past few years that affected the caustic soda market.
Caustic Soda Market Highlights:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
Among all the other regions, Asia Pacific is expected to dominate the global caustic soda market. The market of Asia Pacific in 2019 was estimated to be around USD 25.2 million. This region is expected to grow with the increasing rates of interest, customer expenditure, government subsidies, and others.
As the market is growing rapidly in most of the regions, many companies are entering the caustic soda market. However, the key layers in this market are Tata Chemicals Limited (India), Hanwha Chemical (South Korea), Aditya Birla Chemicals Limited (India), Formosa Plastics Corporation (Taiwan), Gujarat Alkalies and Chemical Limited (India), Olin Corporation (US), Xinjiang Zhongtai Chemical Company Limited (China), and others.
Some of the major driving factors for increasing the global market growth of caustic soda are increasing demand for alumina, pulps, increasing rates of interest, government fundings, rising demand for paper, and others. Apart from that, there are plenty of other factors that are supporting and propelling the growth of the caustic soda market.
Key Questions Answered
Request Free Sample
- ✅Global Market Outlook
- ✅In-depth analysis of global and regional trends
- ✅Analyze and identify the major players in the market, their market share, key developments, etc.
- ✅To understand the capability of the major players based on products offered, financials, and strategies.
- ✅Identify disrupting products, companies, and trends.
- ✅To identify opportunities in the market.
- ✅Analyze the key challenges in the market.
- ✅Analyze the regional penetration of players, products, and services in the market.
- ✅Comparison of major players’ financial performance.
- ✅Evaluate strategies adopted by major players.
Why Choose Market Research Future?
Speak to Analyst
- ✅Vigorous research methodologies for specific market.
- ✅Knowledge partners across the globe
- ✅Large network of partner consultants.
- ✅Ever-increasing/ Escalating data base with quarterly monitoring of various markets
- ✅Trusted by fortune 500 companies/startups/universities/organizations
- ✅Large database of 5000+ markets reports.
- ✅Effective and prompt pre- and post-sales support.