Global Carrier Screening Market is expected to hold a value of about USD 4,200 Million by 2025 and is projected to register a CAGR of 16.8% from 2019 to 2025.
Carrier screening is a type of genetic test that is performed to determine the carries gene responsible for genetic disorders. This test is mostly carried out during pregnancy, as it provides life-long information about an individual's reproductive risk and their chances of having a child with a genetic disorder.
There is a number of different market player for carrier screening dominates the market which includes Eurofins Scientific and Illumina Inc. However, the scenario has changed in the last few years as the demand for these products is increasing. As a result, the manufacturing companies are getting involved in developing technologically advance carrier screening products.
The increasing research and development activity and launch of carrier screening products for genetic disease testing is the major factor instrumental in the growth of the carrier screening market.
- Increasing the launch of new carrier screening tests across the world is driving market growth. For instance, in June 2018, Invitae Corporation one of the fastest-growing genetic company announced the launch of comprehensive genetic carrier screening. Additionally, in March 2017, GenPath Women’s Health subsidiary of OPKO Health, Inc. announced the launch of ClariTest, a noninvasive prenatal screen used to identify abnormal chromosomes. The increased launch of products boosts the market growth for carrier screening products
- An increasing number of players involved in the development of carrier screening.
- Rising incidences of a genetic disorder. Sickle cell anemia affects millions of people across the world. Nearly 2 million American population, or 1 in 12 African Americans, are reported to carry the sickle cell gene. It is estimated that, in the US, more than 72,000 patients are affected with sickle cell anemia. The rise in the awareness and number of people with genetic disorders resulting in the demand for carriers screening tests
- Increasing awareness of genetic disease screening methods.
- Lack of awareness among the population leading to a high number of undiagnosed people
- Lack of standard guidelines for carrier screening
- Accuracy issues
By Services and Products
- Product: The product segment holds the market in the carrier screening market. There is an increase in the segmental growth owing to the increasing use of these products during pregnancy to determine the early diagnosis and raising awareness about these diseases positively influences the market growth.
- Services: It is the fastest-growing segment owing to the increasing number of laboratories adopting these services.
- Expanded Carrier Screening: The expanded carrier screening is further segmented into predesigned panel testing and customized panel testing. It is the largest segment in the global carrier screening market. More than 100 different disorders can be scanned using expanded carrier screening using a single sample, which increases the demand for this product.
- Targeted Carrier Screening: In this method, the tests are done based on ethnicity or family history. Targeted disease carrier screening is recommended for people who have a family history of a specific disorder, regardless of their race or ethnicity
By Medical Condition
- Pulmonary Conditions: Pulmonary condition is the fastest-growing segment in the global carrier screening market. The increasing awareness about cystic fibrosis a pulmonary genetic disorder boosts segmental growth.
- Hematological Conditions: This is expected to be the largest segment. Due to a large number of patients facing sickle cell disease, thalassemia, and others. It is estimated that globally 275,000 people have a sickle-cell disorder who needs early diagnosis and prophylaxis. Additionally, about 56 000 suffers from having major thalassemia.
- Neurological Conditions: These are an inherited disorder causing mental disability, usually in children around 5-year-old. Tay–Sachs disease and Fragile X Syndrome is an example of an inherited neurological condition.
- Others: The other segment includes down syndrome, trisomy 13, Marfan syndrome (MFS) and among others.
- Americas: Holds the largest market share in the global carrier screening market. Countries such as the US and Canada have a large number of patient population suffering from genetic diseases and high awareness about genetic disorders and its diagnosis methods drives the market growth. It is estimated that 50,000 peoples are suffering from Marfan syndrome in the US. The huge population suffering from various genetic diseases boosts the market growth in this region.
- Europe: Europe is the second-largest market for carrier screening. Growing research and development activities, increasing focus on personalized medicine, and also the presence of a large number of healthcare companies in this region enhances the European market growth.
- Asia-Pacific: The Asia-Pacific region is anticipated to be the fastest-growing region in the global carrier screening market. This region has been witnessing the increasing market growth owing to the increase in the number of people afflicted with genetic disorders, growing awareness about the genetic disorder diagnosis techniques.
- Middle East & Africa: It is the smallest market due to limited healthcare infrastructure, lack of awareness about the disease condition, and low per capita disposable incomes in underdeveloped regions of Africa.
- Eurofins Scientific (Luxembourg)
- Invitae Corporation (US)
- Opko Health (US)
- Fulgent Genetics Inc (US)
- Quest Diagnostics Incorporated (US)
- Sema4 (US)
- Myriad Genetics (US)
- Illumina Inc (US)
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc (US)
- Luminex Corporation (US)
- Natera Inc (US)
- Laboratory Corporation of America Holdings (US)