According to MRFR analysis, the Global Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP) Films Market is projected to register a CAGR of around 4.6% to reach a value of around USD 20,986 Million by 2027.
Biaxially oriented polypropylene film (BOPP) is a polypropylene film that is stretched in both the machine direction as well as across the machine direction. The stretching results in BOPP films with superior strength at low gauges, flatness, clarity, and excellent printability. BOPP is used in a wide array of flexible packaging applications, pressure-sensitive tapes, labels, stationery, metalizing, consumer products as well as a wide variety of non-packaging uses.
The prime driver of the global BOPP films market is its use in food packaging applications on account of its moisture protection and food & aroma preservation. The expansion of the food & beverage industry across the globe is one of the most prominent drivers fueling the BOPP films market.
Moreover, the expanding pharmaceutical and cosmetics industries have significantly propelled the demand for BOPP films. These films are widely used in cosmetics and medical product packaging as they help in retaining the properties of substances.
However, the fluctuating costs and availability of polypropylene are expected to hinder the market growth during the review period.
The market players are focused on various strategic initiatives to meet the rising demand for BOPP films. For instance, in September 2019, Sibur announced that its subsidiary Biaxplen had acquired a 50% stake in the Italian BOPP (biaxially oriented polypropylene) film producer, Manucor S.p.A.
Certain regulations for the manufacturing and usage of BOPP films are (CE)1935/2004, (CE) 2023/2006, (EC) No. 1935/2004, Regulation (EU) No. 10/2011, (EC) No 1333/2008, 21 CFR 177.1520,
21 CFR 178.3130, and 21 CFR 178.2010, among many others. The use of BOPP films is also regulated at regional and country levels to promote environmental awareness.
High demand for food packaging applications
- Increased demand for flexible packaging
- Growing personal care & cosmetics industry
- Stringent regulations associated with the manufacturing and use of BOPP films
- Wraps: Wrap-around labels are roll-fed labels available in pearlized white opaque or natural transparent options. These are available in labels for 360°, full-body wrap-around labeling of carbonated soft drinks, PET water bottles, beverages, coffee, and food products. The thickness for wraps ranges from 35 to 70 microns.
- Bags & Pouches: BOPP bags are an ideal choice for the packaging of seeds, pet food, animal feed, and many other consumer products. BOPP bags are tear resistant, minimizing or eliminating product loss. These have fewer layers than paper, and therefore are lightweight and offer reduced freight costs. BOPP bags allow for brilliant color and clarity, making them a popular option for retail packaging.
- Tapes: BOPP adhesive packing tapes are used in medium to heavy-duty carton sealing, shipping, inventory management, and in logistics industries. These have low toxicity and are recyclable, and resistant to heat, UV rays, and moisture. The three major types of BOPP packing tapes are transparent, colored, and printed/customized.
- Labels: BOPP is a versatile and resilient label material available in white, opaque, metalized, or clear forms. BOPP labels are thin but rugged, moisture resistant, product resistant, non-toxic, and food safe. The moisture and solvent resistance qualities of BOPP labels are ideal for use in household products, and its acid resistance is a benefit for some food & beverage products. Citrus, tomatoes, condiments, coffee, vegetables, and other food & beverage products with low pH/high acid content are labeled with BOPP films.
- Others: The others segment includes flower overwrap, release film, and cold seal film, etc.
- Food & Beverage: BOPP films act as an excellent moisture barrier and oxygen barrier for the products, playing a key role in food packaging to extend the shelf life of products & thus reduce food wastage. Good heat seal strength, lower seal initiation temperature, broad sealing window, and good machinability further benefits the food packaging industry for preserving food quality.
- Personal Care & Cosmetics: These films are used in the packaging of various personal care & cosmetics products such as hair care, eye care, over-the-counter pharmaceuticals/nutraceuticals, among others.
- Medical: These films are used in printable medical ID bracelets for hospitals, pharmaceuticals, and surgical packaging. It is also used in hernia and pelvic organ prolapsed repair operations.
- Tobacco Packaging: The tobacco market is witnessing a high demand for BOPP films owing to rising consumer disposable income, an increasing number of product launches, and the availability of superior-quality products. The increasing consumption of tobacco products among females and students is also fueling the market growth.
- Electrical & Electronics: Due to its excellent mechanical and thermal properties, it is used in electrical & electronics applications such as wire and cable insulation.
- Others: The others segment includes decorative applications, textile bags, tamper-evident labels & tapes, etc.
- North America: The North American market for BOPP films is likely to witness growth on account of the increasing demand for consumer-friendly packaging solutions. Factors such as the increasing working population, busy lifestyles, and eating habits fuel the demand for BOPP packaging films.
- Europe: The market in Europe is projected to showcase growth due to the increased demand for BOPP films from various applications. The extensive spending in the medical and pharmaceutical sectors drive the demand for BOPP films.
- Asia-Pacific: Asia-Pacific is expected to be the fastest-growing regional market due to the increased consumer spending, rising working population, and changing lifestyles in the region.
- Middle East & Africa: The rapid economic development in the region is the key driver for the growth of the major end-use industries in the region, which is expected to drive the demand for BOPP films in the Middle East & Africa market during the review period.
- Latin America: The Latin American market is projected to witness high demand for BOPP films owing to the industrial development in the region.
- Cosmo Films Ltd. (India)
- Jindal Poly Films Limited (India)
- TAGHLEEF INDUSTRIES GROUP (UAE)
- Inteplast Group (US)
- POLİBAK PLASTİK (Turkey)
- SIBUR (Russia)
- Poligal SA (Spain)
- UFlex Limited (India)
- Toray Plastics (America), Inc. (US)
- SRF Limited (India)
- NAN YA PLASTICS CORPORATION (Taiwan)
- Vacmet India Ltd (India)
- Tatrafan, s.r.o (Slovakia)
- ObenGroup (US)
- FlexFilms (US)