Pune, India, April 2022, MRFR Press Release/Market Research Future has published a Cooked Research Report on the Global Coating Pretreatment Market.
According to the MRFR analysis, the global coating pretreatment market size was valued at USD 3.9 billion in 2022 and is projected to reach USD 6.21 billion by 2032 at a CAGR of 5.30%.
Pre-treatment coating is a sustainable method of corrosion protection, paint adhesion, enhancing coating adhesion, and the rate of surface corrosion. Low-temperature cleaners and a variety of ambient pre-treatment selections reduce the energy costs required to heat and minimize the sludge and waste generated by the pre-treatment finishing system. It is widely used before applying powder coating on the metal substrate such as aluminum, steel, and others which uses finely ground particles of pigment and resin that is electrostatically charged and sprayed onto electrically grounded parts. Pre-treatment coatings have a wide range of applications in automotive, construction, aerospace, and other industries.
The surging demand for pre-treatments in various end-use industries primarily drives the global coating pre-treatment market. Also, the rising demand for greener and eco-friendly coating are the important factors influencing the market positively. The stringent government regulations on chromate-based coatings are expected to hamper market growth during the assessment period. However, rising environmental concerns regarding phosphate mining are expected to hamper the market growth over the forecast period.
The global market for pretreatment coatings is projected to register healthy growth during the forecast period. The widening applications of powder coating in various end-use industries such as automotive, construction, and aerospace is another major factor driving the growth of the global market. Benefits of pretreatment coating such as improved adhesion between the metal substrate and the paint and protecting against under-paint corrosion are key factors driving the market.
PPG Industries Inc., Nippon Paint Holdings Co., Ltd., Henkel AG & Co. KGaA, and BASF SE are the prominent players operating in the global pretreatment coatings market. These players account for a major share of the global market owing to their large production capabilities, global revenue base, broad product portfolio, and global distribution network. Additionally, the adoption of various strategies such as expansions and agreements is expected to help these players gain maximum revenue and long-term growth during the review period.
- Iron Phosphate: Iron phosphating is a pre-treatment process that cleans, chemically pre-treat, and rinses parts to prepare powder coating, resulting in a conversion coating i.e., the material to be coated is washed with iron phosphate pre-treatment solutions.
- Zinc Phosphate: Zinc phosphate is the majorly used pre-treatment process in the electrocoat industry due to its excellent durability, corrosion resistance, and paint adhesion. It can coat mixed with other metal substrates such as steel, zinc-coated steel, and aluminum for pre-treatment.
- Chromate: Chromate is a pre-treatment process formed by chemical or electrochemical treatment of metal/alloy in a solution containing hexavalent chromium with other components. This method creates an amorphous protective coating that can be sprayed or immersed onto various metals substrates such as steel or aluminum. It is majorly used to improve the corrosion resistance of bare or painted metals, promote the adhesion of paint or primer coatings, and give the metal a pleasing ornamental appearance.
- Chrome-Free: The chromate-free coating is majorly used in aerospace and military applications for corrosion protection, exceptional paint adhesion, and bolster aircraft the service life of aircraft components in the automotive industry. The chromate-free coating is an eco-friendly pre-treatment of metals that is expected to boost the global market growth over the forecast period due to initiative support of environmental regulation towards greener coating.
- Phosphate-Free: The increasing demand for phosphate-free pre-treatment process in consumer appliances application due to its excellent characteristics such as low ambient temperature, environmentally friendly coating, and corrosion resistance, are expected to fuel global market growth over the forecast period.
- Others: The others segment includes blast clean.
By Metal Susbtrate
- Steel: Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon and other chemical elements like manganese, sulfur, phosphorus, silicon, chromium, nickel, molybdenum, etc. It is divided into four types of steel: carbon steel, stainless steel, alloy steel, and tool steel.
- Aluminum: The growth in segment can be attributed to various factors such as growing infrastructure projects, manufacturing OEM parts, etc. Aluminum is a strong and durable metal with a high tensile point. It is also flexible and lightweight. Unlike other metals, aluminum will not rust or corrode easily.
- Others: The other metal substrates include a mixture of alloy, nickel, copper, and bronze.
- Aerospace & Defense: The growth in segment can be attributed to the increasing aircraft production due to growth in tourism coupled with high consumer spending. Coating pre-treatment is used in various aerospace applications such as flight control components, gas turbine engines, main landing gear wheels, precision motion control components, wings flaps, and slats ball screw actuators.
- Automotive: Coating pre-treatment is the most widely used in product finishing. Zinc phosphate pre-treatment is a majorly used pre-treatment process of providing corrosion protection and metal cleanliness to the surface of an automotive car body.
- Construction: A prime driver driving the growth of coating pre-treatment in the construction industry is increasing product demand in architectural applications. This process can resist high temperatures and has been used in many industrial applications, such as engine components, bearings, and cutting tools.
- Consumer Appliances: Coating pre-treatment is high in demand in the consumer appliances application. The majority of iron phosphate and zinc phosphate coat is used for household appliances such as refrigerators, vacuum cleaners, cooking appliances, etc.
- Others: The others segment includes power and chemicals applications.
Access Full Report Details: Coating Pretreatment Industry
- North America: The growth in construction spending in North America can be attributed to the increasing government initiatives toward modernizing infrastructure and building energy-efficient homes, thus resulting in increased construction activities in the region.
- Europe: The growth in construction spending in Europe can be attributed to the stable industrial and economic growth rate coupled with increasing investment in the reconstruction and redevelopment of old building structures
- Asia-Pacific: The Asia-Pacific region is expected to witness increased construction spending over the forecast period due to rapid urbanization.
- Latin America: The growing demand is due to the rise in industrialization and urbanization in major countries.
- Middle East & Africa: Growing manufacturing industry is fueling the demand for Coating Pretreatment in the region.