Tonic water is a type of carbonated drink. It is created by mixing water with quinine, lime juice, and sugar. Tonic water was originally used for its medicinal purposes. Quinine was found to have a therapeutic effect on malaria sufferers in 1820s New England, and the mineral has been used as an antimalarial agent ever since then. As with any medication, however, there are side effects that can occur from overuse or misuse of tonic water.
In general, tonic water is safe to consume. It is used in small quantities for medicinal purposes. Like any medicine that can be ingested, it should be kept out of the reach of children and pets to avoid accidental ingestion. However, there are some negative side effects that can occur when overconsumption occurs or when ingredients in tonic water are consumed without the carbonation.
Carbonated beverages (such as tonic water) occur when dissolved gas under pressure is added to liquid to create a fizzy drink. They have been shown to cause belching and bloating in some people. There are also some reports of headaches, muscle pain, or vomiting in people that drink tonic water.
Tonic water side effects can be minimized by following the recommended dosage of quinine, as well as avoiding overconsumption and/or mixing tonic water with other drinks. Mixing tonic water with alcohol may result in increased levels of ethanol and can lead to negative reactions. One particularly bad idea would be to mix tonic water with alcohol to replace a glass of wine or beer. This can lead to a fatal overdose of quinine if consumed regularly.
Nearly all carbonated beverages contain artificial sweeteners such as saccharin and aspartame. The side effects of these artificial sweeteners include headaches, nausea, diarrhea, and changes in blood pressure. Like most drugs that have not yet been approved by the FDA, these sweeteners are not harmful when ingested by healthy adults. However, they should not be consumed by pets or children.
Aspartame is also used in some prescription and over-the-counter medications. Patients with phenylketonuria (PKU) should be particularly careful when consuming aspartame-containing products because of a rare genetic disorder that makes them unable to process phenylalanine (an amino acid that is normally broken down into harmless components).
There is no denying that some tonic water could have a deep impact on the body because of the high concentration of sugar, but in reality the effects of tonic water are probably much more minimal and unhealthy than people think.
It's not dangerous to drink soda or tonic water, but there are some side effects that people can experience when consuming them to excess. The most common side effects associated with drinking too much soda or tonic are: dizziness, nausea and vomiting, headaches, dehydration and polyuria (increased urination). These side effects can cause people to feel very sick and even pass out.
Tonic water has a lot of sugar in it and too much sugar can cause people to develop diabetes. According to an article from the Huffington Post, doctors recommend that people limit their intake of sugar to 35 grams a day. Tonic water contains 35 grams of sugar per bottle when mixed with 7-up, so drinking 10 bottles is equal to eating 70 grams of sugar! You need only look at the side effects of taking in too much or too little sugar to see how dangerous it could be.
So does this mean you shouldn't drink tonic water? No – if you're seeking for a refreshing beverage then tonic water is perfect for you.