Resistance Bands, the simplest exercising accessories used widely by health and fitness experts around the world, are expected to see a phenomenal rise in market share in the coming years. From being about a USD 100 million industry in 2019, the market for this humble fitness accessory is expected to cross USD 200 million by 2027, registering an annual growth of about 9%.
These exercise bands, inexpensive as they are, are gaining more and more traction in the current scenario as fitness is rapidly becoming a priority worldwide. These bands are easy to use and adaptable for various fitness needs of people. They are used for targeted workouts of the shoulders, knees, elbows, etc. and their role in boosting core body strength makes them a great fit for the rehabilitation of patients also.
Types of Resistance Bands
These bands can be chosen as per the fitness level and endurance of the customers and are broadly categorised as:
- Extra Heavy
Over and above the weight classification, the form and built of these resistance bands also create a variety of types that the consumers can select based on their preferences, use and requirements. These bands, while structurally different from the simple ones that we have seen so far, give the same kind of workout, albeit to different degrees, to all the targeted muscle groups. Some such bands are:
- Loops – the basic ones that you can often spot in workout videos strewn across the internet.
- Straight – that can be adapted to work with different exercise types in a single routine itself.
- Tubular with attached handles – to give that extra edge to the workout. These are also very well suited to the needs of rehabilitating patients who have lost muscle strength owing to unfortunate incidents or pre-existing conditions.
Why Resistance Bands?
Resistance bands can have a multifaceted use in your everyday fitness. From workouts to physiotherapy, these innocuous little things can contribute to your life in ways unheard of. The chief reasons why resistance bands are gaining popularity and are expected to become the next best thing in portable fitness are:
- People lack the time to hit the gyms and local health clubs.
- Resistance bands are portable and easy to use anywhere.
- People can learn how to use these off the internet.
- They are inexpensive and handy.
Smart Resistance Bands
With the world adopting everything smart in terms of technology, resistance bands are not far behind in evolution. Smartphone pioneers, such as Xiaomi, have identified the potential in such technology and have come up with smart-bands equipped with classic motion sensors and Bluetooth transmitters. Such bands can support full-body workouts, with minimal supervision, with a plethora of different workout functionalities. The sheer cost-effectiveness and ease of use of these bands are what will drive this market in the coming years.
With the dawn of such advances, smart exercise resistance bands will be contributing immensely to the global fitness industry in the coming year. It would come as no surprise then that this market is expected to almost double itself by 2025.