Myasthenia gravis is a rare chronic disease that causes an unusual fragility in certain muscles. It happens when the correspondence between the muscles and the nerve cells becomes weak as a result it creates contractions between the cells and muscles due to which a certain weakness in the muscles occurs.
Based on the recent study of the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of America, myasthenia gravis is the most common rare disorder and between 14 and 20 people of the United States out of every 100,000 people are affected by this disease. The very common symptom of this rare disorder is weakness in the skeletal muscles.
The most common symptoms of myasthenia gravis are as follows:
- Stammering or trouble while talking
- Difficulties in for lifting any object or while walking
- Facial paralysis
- Heavy breathing
- Difficulties while eating foods or while swallowing it
- Uneven voice
- Double vision
- Feeling of sleepiness
How to cure myasthenia gravis?
There is no proper cure available for myasthenia gravis, but it can be controlled with the help of medicine and medication. Here are few treatment options for myasthenia gravis patients
- Medicine – There are two different medicines available in the market which can help to reduce the abnormality of the immune system, immunosuppressants, and corticosteroids. Pyridostigmine (Mestinon) can be used in extreme cases to boost the communication between the muscles and nerves.
- Surgery –The thymus gland is a part of the immune system which is related to the muscles and nerves. Patients suffering from myasthenia gravis can feel much better after the removal of the thymus gland through surgery. According to the report, 10% to 15% of people have tumors in their thymus who is suffering from myasthenia.
- Adaption of good habits – A few lifestyle changes can help you to control myasthenia gravis. You should get plenty of sleep and rest; it will help you to reduce muscle pain or weakness. You can consult your doctor for an eye patch if you are suffering from double vision. Exposure to heat or stress can be very bad for your health, so you should avoid them as much as possible.
- Plasmapheresis – Plasmapheresis can be considered as an option, it is a process that removes the harmful or dangerous antibodies from the blood and improvises the strength of the muscles. It is the most effective solution of myasthenia gravis, the treatment procedure doesn’t take that long and the results are positive
Myasthenia gravis is a rare disorder and the symptoms of the disease differ from one person to another. Some might face mild symptoms while others might get paralyzed and need proper medical care. It is very important to consult your doctor when you are in your initial stage.
Medicinal treatments are for temporary relief and a healthy lifestyle will help you to stay fit always. The early treatments can help you heal faster and they will also kill the chances of other related diseases occurring.