Global Vision Processing Unit Market is expected to grow from USD 1.4 Billion in 2018 to a projected USD 3.8 Billion by 2025 at an impressive CAGR of 20%.
Vision processing units (VPUs) are a subset of microprocessors that ease the energy and time requirements of CPUs by taking on the tasks of video streaming and image processing. The technology is relatively new, but due to the increasing demand for integrated technology platforms and the need for performance enhancement, while lowering costs, the global vision processing unit market is expected to grow at a phenomenal rate.
A focus on microprocessor technology has led to the development of specialized chips such as VPUs.
- Advances in microprocessor manufacturing lowering production costs of visual processing units
- Need for lowering processing loads placed on CPUs by video streaming
- The growing market for autonomous vehicles requiring high-end visual processing units to ensure safety
- Application in the highly competitive smartphone market
- Drastic reduction in power consumption of devices
- Need for real-time video processing in critical applications
- Complexities in integration
- Visual processing speed is still governed by the speed of the video stream input
- Drones: Vision processing units are utilized to ensure smooth steering and navigation in drones.
- ADAS: Critical in ensuring safety and avoiding collisions.
- Smartphones: Enhance video and photo quality while reducing the load on the battery and CPU.
- Cameras: Embedded in all the latest cameras due to their image-enhancing qualities.
- AR/VR: VPUs are indispensable to these devices and there can be no AR/VR without VPUs.
- Robotics: Effectively aiding machines to receive and process visual information.
- Wearables: Reducing the strain on the CPUs, thereby enabling additional features.
By End User
- Consumer Electronics: VPUs are used extensively in all modern electronics with image and video streaming capabilities, such as smartphones, laptops, and digital cameras to enhance quality and processor productivity.
- Automotive: Instantaneous video stream processing is critical to avoid collisions and in navigation, especially in ADAS.
- Security and Surveillance: Using vision processing units in tandem with programmed responses based on the analysis of a live video stream serves to enhance security and reduce the human element in surveillance.
- Others: This segment includes VPU application in the military and manufacturing.
- North America: Growing demand for specialized VPUs, the presence of robust technology infrastructure and an economy conducive to the manufacture of this device ensure the dominance of the regional market during the forecast period.
- Europe: Though not as economically viable as its North American counterpart, the European market is more invested in integrating the current technology with vision processing units, leading to companies manufacturing these devices for their use.
- Asia-Pacific: A fast-growing market, Asia-Pacific is the world’s leading producer of smartphones, where vision processing units are being increasingly used to boost the value of the final product.
- Rest of the World: Benefitting from low-cost production, this device is being manufactured in Israel.
- Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd (South Korea): The highly regarded Exonys 9 series, released by Samsung in the first quarter of 2019, finds application in smartphones and automobiles.
- Movidius (US): A subsidiary of Intel Corporation, Movidius launched the Movidius Myriad 2 VPU specifically for power-constrained devices in early 2018.
- Cadence Design Systems, Inc. (US): Geared toward making vision processing units for AI applications.
- CEVA, Inc. (US): The CEVA XM 4 is ideal for high performance/low-energy applications and is programmable in high-level computer languages.
- Texas Instruments (US): The Jacinto TDAx Driver Assistance SOC is specifically geared for the automotive industry and boasts a highly scalable architecture.
- Lattice Semiconductor (US): Excellent flexibility and efficiency are the benchmarks of the chipsets made by the company.
- NXP Semiconductor (Netherlands): The S32V234 MPU processor comes with its own supporting compiler, debugger, and other graph tools.
- HiSilicon Technologies (China): The Kirin 980 series is the fastest and highest-performing processor and finds utility in high-end smartphones and electronics.
- Alphabet, Inc. (US): The company offers a wide range of processors catering to niche requirements.
- MediaTek Inc. (Taiwan): Striking a balance between programmability and performance for smartphone cameras, the Tensilica VPU reduces the load on the CPU and GPU.
Speak to Analyst
Ask for Customization
- Inuitive (Israel): The company manufactures VPUs for use in medical devices.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
A valuation of USD 3.8 Billion will be gained by the Vision Processing Unit market till 2025.
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd Movidius (US), Cadence Design Systems, Inc. (US)
The advances in microprocessor manufacturing lowering production costs of visual processing units are the trends making the Vision Processing Unit market expand wisely.
North America region is growing and leading the regional market of Global Vision Processing Unit during the assessment period.