Speak to Analyst
Request a Free Sample
Tackifier Market Overview
According to MRFR analysis, the global Tackifier Market is projected to be worth USD 5.73 billion by 2028, registering a CAGR of 4.81% during the forecast period (2021 - 2030), The market was valued at USD 3.56 Billion in 2020.
Tackifiers are glassy, amorphous, light molecular weight compounds with a high glass transition temperature that are dissolved in the polymer matrix of adhesive during formulations to enhance the mobility of base polymer, thereby improving the tack and peel adhesion. Tackifiers can be natural and synthetic. Natural tackifiers can be further classified into rosin and terpene and mainly use pine trees and D-Limonene as their feedstock. Whereas synthetic tackifiers are hydrocarbon resins and use various grade of petroleum resin as their feedstock, such as C5 resin, C9 resin, and Dicyclopentadiene (DCPD). Some of the major applications of tackifiers are in hot-melt adhesives (HMA) and pressure-sensitive adhesives (PSA). Some of the common trade names under which tackifiers sold are Escorez, H51000, NEVTAC LT, Bremasin, Korean, ALX-R6100, SYLVARES 520, and LESTAC-A100.
The major factors driving the growth of the tackifier market is the expanding building & construction industry in the emerging countries, increasing production of automobiles, especially in Asia-Pacific, and increasing demand for tackifiers in the packaging industry, wherein they are used in cases, cartons, flexible packaging, labels, and envelopes. For instance, the Indian infrastructure sector witnessed 91 mergers & acquisition deals worth USD 5.4 billion in 2017.
Globally, the automotive industry is expected to register a growth of 9.8% in its production capacity, manufacturing around 100 million units in 2019, as compared to 91 million units in 2018.
However, the stringent regulations refraining the use of synthetic tackifiers can hinder the growth of the synthetic tackifiers market thus, hampering the overall growth for the tackifiers market during the forecast period.
Pricing and Regulatory Analysis
In 2018, among the natural tackifiers, gum rosin was priced between USD 1900–2200 per ton across the globe. The price of the product witnessed a gradual rise of USD 0.19 to 0.40 from 2015. In the same year, among the synthetic tackifiers, the price of petroleum resin varied between USD 1568 and USD 1582 per ton across the globe, with the highest prices in the Middle East & Africa and Latin America. This trend is likely to continue during the forecast period owing to fluctuating raw material prices.
The stringent regulations set by various organizations on the production of these tackifiers are as follows: American Standards for Testing Materials: ASTM D465-82 for “Standard Test of Methods for Acid Number of Rosin”, ASTM D6267 for “Standard Test Method for Apparent Viscosity of Hydrocarbon Resins at Elevated Temperatures”, ASTM D509-70 for “Standard Methods of Sampling and Grading Rosin”, ASTM D6440 for “Standard Terminology Relating to Hydrocarbon Resins”, and International Standard: IS 553: 1984 for “Specification for Rosin”.
- Arakawa Chemical Industries Ltd (Japan) – P-90
- Eastman Chemical Company (US) – Piccotac 1020
- Exxon Mobil Cooperation (US) – Escorez
- YASUHARA CHEMICAL CO., Ltd (Japan) – YS RESIN PX
- Lawter (US) – Snowtack
- Cray Valley (France) – Wingtack
- ZEON CORPORATION (Japan) – QUINTONE A100
- Kolon Industries, Inc. (South Korea) – SUKOREZ SU-90
- SOLTEX (US) – Polyisobutylenes
- Foreverest Resources Ltd (China) – H51000
- Neville (US) – NEVTAC LT
- Robert Kraemer GmbH & Co. KG (Germany) – Bremasin
- BASF SE (Germany) – Koresin
- Anglxxon Chemical (China) – ALX-R6100
- KRATON CORPORATION (US) – SYLVARES 520
- LESCO CHEMICAL LIMITED (China) – LESTAC-A100
- Increasing application of petroleum resin in the production of HMA and PSA in the building and construction industry
- Growing demand for tackifiers in the paints and coatings industry
- High demand for tackifiers in adhesives & sealants and rubber industries
- Increasing demand for bio-based tackifiers to reduce the carbon footprint on the environment
- Limited raw material base
- Fluctuating raw material prices
- Natural: The segment is expected to witness a lucrative market growth owing to the stringent government regulations related to petroleum resin.
- Synthetic: The segment is expected to hold the largest share of the global tackifier market, owing to excellent characteristics offered by the petroleum resins over natural resins.
- Solid: The segment held the largest market share and is expected to be dominant during the forecast period. This growth is due to their use of solid tackifiers in both PSA and HMA
- Liquid: The segment is expected to hold a significant share of the global tackifier market owing to its major use in the PSA
- Pressure-Sensitive Adhesives (PSAs): It 0is projected to be the largest segment of the global tackifier market during the forecast period. This growth is attributed to their wide application mainly in tapes, marks and labels, and graphics businesses.
- Hot-Melt Adhesives (HMAs): Also known as hot glue, these are thermoplastic materials and are solvent-free. These adhesives are melted and applied on the surface and then solidified by cooling to give strong adhesion. Some of the major applications where HMA used are construction, bookbinding, electronics, and electronic assembly.
By End-Use Industry
- Packaging: Held the largest market share of the global tackifiers market in 2018, the major factor propelling the demand for tackifiers in the packaging industry is its focus on HMA in high-speed packaging machines, for carton sealing, assembly of corrugated boxes, and for labeling applications.
- Building & Construction: Held significant market share in 2018 and is expected to have a healthy growth during the forecast period. The growth is attributed to the use of these tackifiers as PSA and HMA in the construction industry to improve the tack and peel adhesion and as a bonding agent in different substrates including rubbers, ceramics, plastics, metals, glass, and wood.
- Rubber: To enhance the special properties of the vulcanized products, tackifiers are used as a softening agent in rubber compounding.
- Paints & Coatings: On the account of their adhesion characteristics, resistance to acids and ability to increase the gloss and hardness of the paints, tackifiers have found major applications in the paints & coatings industry.
- Pulp & Paper: Tackifiers are used as color adhesives agent in producing printing inks and bookbinding.
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Asia-Pacific: Held the largest market share of around 55% in 2018 and is projected to be the dominant regional market during the forecast period. The growth of tackifiers in the region is due to the high demand for both natural and synthetic tackifiers for applications in tapes and labels, bookbinding, packaging, and others.
- Europe: Held the second-largest share of the global tackifier market. The growth of the regional market is attributed to the stringent regulations related to synthetic tackifiers, compelling the adoption of natural tackifiers.
- North America: The growth of the market in the region is attributed to the increase in reconstruction activities and expanding automotive industry in the region, which are using these tackifiers as HMA and PSA in product assembly and woodworking.
- Middle East & Africa: The region is expected to witness moderate growth owing to the increase in construction activities in the region, especially GCC countries, and increasing investment in the food & beverage and packaging industries.
- Latin America: The market is expected to witness steady growth due to the rising automotive industry.
Recent DevelopmentDec 2021 Sika is establishing a new technology center and manufacturing unit for adhesives and sealants in Pune, Maharashtra, India. The new R&D facilities are being built to fulfill the fast-expanding demand in the Indian market, and the new plant is being built to match that need. Sika primarily manufactures items for the transportation, construction, and renewable energy sectors on its three new production lines. According to the company, the new Sika plant is ideally positioned in terms of transportation infrastructure, ensuring swift and dependable delivery to customers at one of the region's important logistics centers.May 2021 SI Group plans to boost its tackifier resin capacity by 75 percent at its manufacturing facility in Lote, India. The expansion of SI Group in India will be completed in two stages. The investment is in response to rising tackifier demand in one of the company's primary markets. The enlargement will be completed in two stages. The first phase will be finished by the end of 2021, with the second phase launching in the second half of 2022. This development follows recent announcements by the business to increase resin capacity in Nanjing, China, and Bethune, France. SI Group will be able to provide regional growth and satisfy strong projections in the Indian tire and vehicle market due to this investment.
Speak to Analyst
Ask for Customization
2030: USD 5.73 Billion
4.81% (2021 - 2030)
2021 - 2030
Value (USD Million)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Type, Form, Application, End-Use and Region
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Arakawa Chemical Industries Ltd (Japan) – P-90, Eastman Chemical Company (US) – Piccotac 1020, Exxon Mobil Cooperation (US) – Escorez, YASUHARA CHEMICAL CO., Ltd (Japan) – YS RESIN PX, Lawter (US) – Snowtack, Cray Valley (France) – Wingtack, ZEON CORPORATION (Japan) – QUINTONE A100, Kolon Industries, Inc. (South Korea) – SUKOREZ SU-90, SOLTEX (US) – Polyisobutylenes, Foreverest Resources Ltd (China) – H51000, Neville (US) – NEVTAC LT, Robert Kraemer GmbH & Co. KG (Germany) – Bremasin, BASF SE (Germany) – Koresin, Anglxxon Chemical (China) – ALX-R6100, KRATON CORPORATION (US) – SYLVARES 520, LESCO CHEMICAL LIMITED (China) – LESTAC-A100
Key Market Opportunities
Fluctuating raw material prices
Key Market Drivers
Growing demand for tackifiers in the paints and coatings industry. High demand for tackifiers in adhesives & sealants and rubber industries. Increasing demand for bio-based tackifiers to reduce the carbon footprint on the environment
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
tackifier market is projected to grow at a 4.8% CAGR between 2021-2028.
The APAC region is projected to dominate the tackifier market.
Synthetic tackifier will lead the tackifier market.
Increasing use in the paints and coatings industry and demand for bio-based tackifiers are adding to the tackifier market growth.
Fluctuating raw material cost and limited raw material base may limit the tackifier market growth.