Global Surveillance Radar Market is projected to reach USD 12.72 Billion by 2026 and register a CAGR of 6.4% between 2019 and 2026.
A surveillance radar is an electronic device used to detect the position and velocity of an object located at a distance such as an aircraft, ship, or automobile. Radar systems detect electromagnetic rays with the help of a receiver and provide the position and distance of the object. They offer reliable detection of any object that falls within the detection cones, which makes them the ideal solution for collision avoidance and driver assistance. However, the working efficiency of radar systems drops with an increase in the distance between the object and the system.
The Global Surveillance Radar Market has witnessed high growth in recent years owing to the increasing need for enhanced situational awareness, increasing defense expenditures, and advancement in border surveillance systems. However, the high costs of installation and operation are expected to restrain the market growth to some extent.
The Increasing need for situational awareness.
- Increasing Defense Expenditures: Globally, military spending has increased significantly in recent years. According to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), global military expenditure rose by 2.6% to approximately USD 1.82 trillion from 2017 to 2019. The increase in defense expenditure is expected to boost the demand for advanced surveillance radar systems and solutions in the review period.
- Advancement in Border Surveillance Systems
- Increasing Need for Missile Detection Systems
- Increased Investments in Advanced Surveillance Technologies
- Lightweight Radars for Aerial Vehicles
- Antennas: The segment dominated the surveillance radar market in 2019. The antenna transfers the transmitter energy at the required efficiency. This process is carried out identically during the reception. The antenna used can be a parabolic reflector, planar arrays, or electronically steered phased arrays. The antenna is a crucial component of the radar system.
- Transmitters: The segment is expected to witness high growth during the forecast period, 2019 to 2026. The radar transmitter produces short-duration high-power energy pulses that are projected by the antenna. Transmitters include power amplifiers such as klystrons, power oscillators such as magnetrons, and traveling wave tubes. The signal is first generated using a waveform generator and then amplified by the power amplifier.
- Duplexers: The segment is expected to register the highest CAGR during the forecast period. The duplexer alternately switches the antenna between the transmitter and receiver so that only one antenna needs to be used. This switching is necessary as the high-power pulses of the transmitter could destroy the receiver. A duplexer allows the antenna to be used both as a transmitter and a receiver.
- Receivers: The segment is expected to witness steady growth during the forecast period, 2019 to 2026. The receiver amplifies and demodulates the received RF signals and projects a video signal. Radar sensor systems use super heterodyne receivers or any other receivers that can process and detect the signal.
- Land: The segment dominated the surveillance radar market in 2019. The land-based radar systems are largely used for border surveillance, critical infrastructure protection, and to protect military bases.
- Naval: The segment is expected to witness high growth during the forecast period, 2019 to 2026. This is due to the increasing adoption of maritime surveillance radar systems by military agencies globally.
- Airborne: The segment is expected to register the highest CAGR during the forecast period. The airborne radar systems make use of unmanned aerial vehicles, aerostats, and helicopters. The sensors mounted on these platforms detect and continuously monitor, record, and analyze activity on the ground.
- Space: The segment is expected to witness steady growth during the forecast period, 2019 to 2026. Space-based surveillance radar systems offer intelligence and reconnaissance capabilities.
- North America: North America dominates the surveillance radar market. This trend is projected to continue during the forecast period due to the presence of prominent players such as Flir Systems, Inc., Lockheed Martin Corporation, L3 Harris Technologies, and Raytheon Company, and high investments made by these companies in the development of advanced radar systems and solutions.
- Europe: The increasing adoption of advanced systems by the military organizations in Europe for performing intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance missions are expected to boost the demand for surveillance radar systems in the review period.
- Asia-Pacific: The market in this region is projected to register a high CAGR during the forecast period. Increasing defense expenditures and rising terrorist activities in countries such as India, China, Indonesia, and Australia are driving the growth of the market in the region.
- Middle East & Africa: The increase in defense expenditures by countries such as Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and Israel is driving the market growth in the Middle East & Africa.
- Latin America: In Latin America, there has been an increase in the use of UAVs with radar systems for intelligence gathering on drug trafficking and rebel groups, deforestation monitoring, and control of illegal migration, which is expected to boost the demand for surveillance radar systems and solutions.
- Aselsan AS (Turkey)
- Blighter Surveillance Systems Ltd (UK)
- DeTect Inc. (US)
- Elbit Systems Ltd. (Israel)
- Flir Systems, Inc. (US)
- GEM Elettronica (Italy)
- L3 Harris Technologies (US)
- Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd (Israel)
- Leonardo Spa (Italy)
- Lockheed Martin Corporation (US)
Other Prominent Players
- Hensoldt (Germany)
- Honeywell International Inc. (US)
- Raytheon Company (US)
- Saab AB (Sweden)
- Thales Group (France)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
Surveillance Radar Market size by 2026 can be USD 12.72 Billion.
Surveillance Radar Market is progressing at a rate of 6.4%.
Factors responsible for the market growth worldwide include the rising need for elevated situational awareness, surge in defense expenditures, and innovations in border surveillance systems.
Antennas is the component-based segment is supposed to take the lead in the Surveillance Radar Market.
The surge in defense expenditures along with the increasing terrorist activities in India, Indonesia, Australia and China, makes APAC a promising market with the highest growth rate.