Global Polymer Bearing Market Overview
According to MRFR analysis, The global polymer bearing market is projected to register a CAGR of over 4.78% to reach around USD 14.10 billion by the end of 2030.
Polymer bearings have made a name in a competitive bearing market by offering several advantages. As a result, formerly steel- and phosphor bronze-dominated areas are increasingly filled with polymers such as PTFE, PEEK, POM, and Nylons. A polymer bearing is a component of a machine with at least one rubbing part made from polymer. Polymer bearings are appealing because they can withstand in harsh environments that would destroy conventional bearings. Polymeric materials are 80% lighter than steel. As a result, the bearings developed from polymers require less energy to move and are less likely to lose energy because of friction. When lubricated, polymer bearings become nearly silent and can absorb shock loads better than metals. Metallic bearings are typically preferable in applications where high loads and possibly high temperatures are present. Although polymers typically can't bear heavy loads or operate at high temperatures, certain polymers such as PEEK and Polyimide can bear enormous loads and remain functional in temperatures of 300°C+. The use of these polymers is restricted to certain applications, such as aerospace and medical, where cost is not a key criterion.
The increased demand from the automobile industry is expected to boost the global polymer bearings market due to the various attributes of these bearings, such as their lubricant-free nature, high corrosion resistance, and fatigue resistance. The increasing use of polymer bearings in end-use industries such as textile, packaging, food, and packaging boosts the growth of global polymer bearing market. Moreover, polymer bearings are in demand across a wide range of industries due to their excellent low friction and high wear resistance properties. In addition, The advancements in 3D printing technology are expected to create growth opportunities in the global polymer bearing market. The custom 3D printed plain bearings developed from high-performance polymers last longer than standard 3D printing materials. 3D printing gives bearing manufacturers a way to innovate, create bearings with enhanced performance. The increasing popularity of 3D printing is anticipated to boost the applications of polymer bearings across industries.
Moreover, Polymer bearings can withstand higher operating temperatures and retain their mechanical properties than babbitt. Polymers resist attack by many chemicals, including hydrogen sulfide and ammonia, that protect bearings from damage when they contact these chemicals. The decreased weight of polymer bearings makes the entire construction lighter, leading to higher performance and less carbon dioxide emissions. Friction occurs when mechanical components come into contact with each other. Polymer bearings minimize the coefficient of friction and result in less wear and quieter operation. Technological advancements and increased R&D investments create opportunities for growth in the global polymer bearing market. In addition, The growing demand for polymer bearings in the automotive and aerospace industries will help fuel the market growth. Polymer bearings provide an affordable alternative to metal bearings, reducing maintenance costs and opening up the possibility of technical improvements.
The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM International) is a governing body that establishes quality standards in plastics. ASTM International's standards assist manufacturers and consumers in determining the quality of plastics and their derivatives for safe utilization. The standards are widely accepted throughout the plastic supply chain. ASTM standards create an equal playing field for bearing selection by setting material guidelines. The ASTM standard for automotive bearings includes rigidity, flexural properties, heat deflection, and impact and stress resistance. Moreover, BS 4480-2 represents Dimensions and tolerances for plastic bearings, inside diameter range 3 mm to 60 mm. Diverse dairy technology is available for processing milk and other dairy products, such as filling machines and valves and secondary packaging devices for yogurt (cups), cheese, butter, cream, milk bags, or coffee cream. In the dairy industry plain bearings made of FDA/EU-approved materials must meet Sanitary Standards to ensure product quality and protect consumers' health.
Impact of Coronavirus Outbreak
After hitting the lowest by the outbreak of COVID-19, the global economy is set to expand 5.6% in 2021. However, the recovery is projected to be uneven owing to the uneven vaccine rollouts, upcoming COVID-19 waves, and withdrawal of monetary support measures. In many emerging markets and developing economies, obstacles to vaccination also result in delayed normalcy. The recovery is envisioned to continue into 2022, with global growth moderating to 4.3%. However, yet the global GDP is expected to remain 1.8% below pre-pandemic projections.
The economic impact of COVID-19 on end-use industries has been significant. Travel restrictions have caused a downturn in many markets, and growth has slowed as a result. The lockdowns have forced production facilities to remain closed, negatively impacting the polymer bearing market due to revenue loss from lower adoption of the polymer bearing solutions across industries. All major industries are facing disruptions, such as supply chain failures, slow technological adoptions, and office closures. Since lifting travel restrictions, growth across application markets has gained significant traction.
The outbreak of the COVID-19 virus has had a major impact on the automotive industry, and carmakers are currently struggling with unprecedented uncertainty. The disruption of supply chain activities has also slowed down manufacturing, delaying the production of motor vehicles and thus hampering the growth of the global polymer bearing market. In addition, the decreased demand in the automotive industry was caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, which is affecting the growth of the global polymer bearing market.
Supply Chain Analysis
The supply chain analysis evaluates every stage and step taken by stakeholders involved throughout the production and distribution of polymer bearings. The supply chain includes raw materials and suppliers, polymer bearings producers, distribution channels, and end-use industries. The distribution channel in this polymer bearing market comprises distributors, wholesalers, and end-use industries. Some key distributors and suppliers of the polymer bearing market include SKF (Sweden), Igus (Germany), Synnovia (UK), Altra Industrial Motion Corp (US), Dotmar Engineering Plastics (Australia), Saint-Gobain (France), and OILES CORPORATION (Japan).
Extensive use in automotive, healthcare, textiles, and food and beverages industries
- Growing demand for polymer bearings across industries
- Increasing investments in automotive for advanced materials
- Reduced maintenance cost
- Stringent government rules and regulations
- Phenolics: Phenolic composites consist of cotton fabric or other fillers bonded with phenolic resin. These composite materials are easily lubricated by various fluids, making them ideal for automotive applications.Due to high strength and low weight, phenolics bearings have become popular for replacing metal bearings in propeller and rubber-shaft bearings in ships and electrical switch-gear, rolling-mill, and water-turbine bearings.Phenolic laminates act as structural members and bearing material in small instruments and clock motors. Phenolic bearings are strong, resistant to shock and water, acid, and alkali solutions, and work well in heavily loaded systems providing sufficient clearance and cooling.
- Nylon: Although phenolics are used in heavy-duty applications, they are frequently replaced by nylon, which finds its widest use in bearings. Nylon bushings require no lubrication and have low friction. Nylon is a strong, quiet material that resists abrasion in use and wears slowly. It is easily molded, cast, or machined to very close tolerances. Using a thin liner of material in a well-supported metal sleeve can minimize cold-flow problems at high loads.
- Teflon: Teflon is a great material for bearings because it offers low friction, high self-lubricating, immunity to most chemical attacks, and can operate over a wide temperature range. Teflon bearings load capacity depends on how it is constructed and reinforced. Teflon bearings are great for exposure to weather, chemicals, and vapors applications. Teflon bearings are suitable for applications like sluice gates that require operating smoothly, reliably, and without sticking after a long period of inactivity. Applications that involve low rpm, oscillatory, or intermittent service, and reliable service without lubrication is vital, can benefit from Teflon bearings. The major drawback of using Teflon bearings is its high cost relative to other bearings.
- Acetal: Acetal is a popular bearing material in many automotive, appliance, and industrial applications. It is beneficial when working in wet environments because of its stability and resistance to wet abrasion.
- UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene): UHMWPE bearings are often an ideal replacement for acetal, nylon, and Teflon bearings thatresist abrasion and have a smooth, low-friction surface.
- Automobile: The cost advantages of polymer solutions are particularly significant in the automotive industry. Polymer bearings are particularly long-lasting, require little upkeep, and provide thermal stability, attributes absolutely essential in the automotive industry. Polymer bearings are lighter than metal, which leads to less fuel consumption and an increased range. Polymer bearings need no additional grease or lubrication, and they are maintenance-free.
- Textile: Textile manufacturing equipment is increasingly being put to heavier use, increasing the demand for more resilient machine components. Vibrations, varying operating conditions, changing loads, and especially dirt and dust are challenges faced by plant operators in the textile industry. Furthermore, textile manufacturers should not overlook external factors such as humidity and fluctuations in temperature. Therefore, maintenance work is difficult to schedule and only done at longer intervals. Polymer bearings made from high-performance polymers require no additional lubrication and have a long service life and meet every requirement of the textile industry.
- Medical & Pharmaceutical: Medical technology uses bearings to handle high speeds and a high level of hygiene. In medical technology, where cleanliness is a constant concern, lubrication-free ball bearings have an important role to play. Polymer bearings, unlike metal bearings, do not require lubrication, so they are ideal for applications in which sterility and cleanroom suitability are required.
- Packaging: Polymer bearings have numerous applications in the packaging industry. Dry-running polymer bearings that do not require maintenance or lubrication reduce equipment contamination risks. Polymer bearings enable manufacturers to predict equipment lifetime, plan maintenance operations, and reduce downtimes.
- Office Products: Lubrication-free, maintenance-free, and cost-effective polymer bearings ensure the smooth operation of office products.
- Others: Other applications of polymer bearings include food processing, elevators, photography, chemical, and electronics.
- North America: The North American market for polymer bearing is driven by the expanding industrial sector in the region. The market in North America is primarily driven by the growing demand for polymer bearings in the healthcare and manufacturing sectors. Advancements in polymers in bearing applications drive the demand for polymer bearings in this region.
- Europe: The market in Europe is projected to witness high demand for polymer bearings due to the growth of the automotive, textile, and cosmetics industries in the region. Major contributors to the market growth include Germany, the UK, France, and Russia.
- Asia-Pacific: Asia-Pacific dominates the global polymer bearing market on account of the rapid industrialization in the region. The growth potential is in emerging economies such as India, South Korea. Asia-Pacific polymer bearings market has been witnessing consistent growth due to the increasing demand for polymer bearings in the food and beverage, delivery & logistics industries.
- SKF (Sweden)n
- Igus (Germany)
- Synnovia (UK)
- Altra Industrial Motion Corp (US)
- Dotmar Engineering Plastics (Australia)
- Saint-Gobain (France)
- OILES CORPORATION (Japan)
- Kashima Bearings, Inc. (Japan)
- KMS Bearings, Inc. (US)
- TOK, inc. (Japan)
- Xinzhou Bearing Industrial Inc. (China)
- Waukesha Bearings (US)
- ISB Industries (Italy)
2030: USD 14.10 Billion
4.78% % (2022-2030)
2022 to 2030
2019 & 2020
Value (USD Billion)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Product and Application
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
SKF (Sweden), Igus (Germany), Synnovia (UK), Altra Industrial Motion Corp (US), Dotmar Engineering Plastics (Australia), Saint-Gobain (France), and OILES CORPORATION (Japan).
Key Market Opportunities
The advancements in 3D printing technology are expected to create growth opportunities in the polymer bearing market.
Key Market Drivers
· Growing demand for polymer bearings across industries
· Increasing investments in automotive for advanced materials
· Reduced maintenance cost
Polymer Bearing Market Highlights:
Key Questions Answered
Request Free Sample
- ✅Global Market Outlook
- ✅In-depth analysis of global and regional trends
- ✅Analyze and identify the major players in the market, their market share, key developments, etc.
- ✅To understand the capability of the major players based on products offered, financials, and strategies.
- ✅Identify disrupting products, companies, and trends.
- ✅To identify opportunities in the market.
- ✅Analyze the key challenges in the market.
- ✅Analyze the regional penetration of players, products, and services in the market.
- ✅Comparison of major players’ financial performance.
- ✅Evaluate strategies adopted by major players.
Why Choose Market Research Future?
Speak to Analyst
- ✅Vigorous research methodologies for specific market.
- ✅Knowledge partners across the globe
- ✅Large network of partner consultants.
- ✅Ever-increasing/ Escalating data base with quarterly monitoring of various markets
- ✅Trusted by fortune 500 companies/startups/universities/organizations
- ✅Large database of 5000+ markets reports.
- ✅Effective and prompt pre- and post-sales support.