Morphine Market Overview
The global morphine market is expected to cross USD 33,650 million by 2027 at a CAGR of ~7.8%. Morphine is a narcotic and analgesic substance derived from opioids to treat severe pain, and it belongs to the class of drugs known as narcotic analgesics. Morphine increasespain tolerance.
The increase in the use of morphine for pain management is a key factor contributing to the market growthsincemorphine is one of the most powerful pain relievers. Furthermore, theincreasing rate of legalization of potent opioids for medical use in various emerging countries by governments is expected to create significant opportunities for business expansion for existing players and enable easy entrance for new players in the global morphine market. Furthermore, increasing R&D activities for the development of novel products is another factor expected to offer lucrative opportunitiesfor the players in the morphine market.
COVID-19 Analysis of Morphine Market
Chronic pain management during the COVID-19 pandemic is challenging, owing to the changes in the healthcare delivery system due to safety precautions and social distancing. Whereas chronic pain is a major problem that affects 13.5% to 47% of the general population and can carry a substantial financial burden. Furthermore, elective surgeries and consultations were also canceled; nearly 88% of the cancer care centers faced challenges in delivering usual cancer care due to lack of personal protective equipment and staff shortage,which has had an impact on hospital and pain clinics, ultimately hampering the morphine market
In terms of the supply chain, more than 95% of morphine originates in Afghanistan, Mexico, and Myanmar. In all these three countries, the opium poppy is grown in fields, and harvesting opium is a labor-intensive activity. However, the COVID-19 crisis hinders opium production in several ways, such as the availability of workers reduced, reduced trade due to strict border controls, and laboratories facing shortages of chemicals due to lockdown measures. Hence, reducing imports and exports between borders may cause supply chain disruptions, resulting in a significant loss for morphine suppliers.
Morphine Market Dynamics
- Growing prevalence of orthopedic illnesses across the globe
The rising prevalence of orthopedic illnesses such as arthritis, elbow pain, fibromyalgia, and osteoporosis are the key drivers of the morphine market expansion. According to the World Health Organization, by 2050, 130 million people will suffer from osteoarthritis worldwide, of whom the disease will severely disable 40 million. Hence, the increasing usage of morphine in pain management is boosting the morphine market growth.
- Increasing cancer population leading to fuel morphine demand
An increase in the incidence of cancer is expected to boost the morphine market growth across the world.The increase in the incidence rate of cancer is explained below:According to World Health Organization (WHO) figures, cancer is the primary or second leading cause of death in 112 of 183 nations before the age of 70. Overall, the global burden of cancer incidence and mortality is rapidly increasing; this reflects both population aging and expansion, as well as changes in the prevalence and distribution of the main risk factors for cancerSimilarly, according to the data from National Cancer Registry Programme (NCRP), Indian Council of Medical Research, the projected incidence of patients with cancer for 2020 in India in males was 679,421 and in females was 712,758GLOBOCAN 2020 estimates of cancer incidence produced by the International Agency for Research on Cancer state worldwide, an estimated 19.3 million new cancer cases in 2020Rates of obesity in adolescents and young adults have increased considerably in recent decades. For example, in 1998, 30.5% of young people were obese, compared to 42.4% in 2018. Given colorectal cancer's strong link to obesity, the increasing obesity rates among adolescents and young adults are likely to increase cancer rates as well
- Increase in the elderly population
Morphine Market Restraints
- The addictive nature of the drug restricts the growth of the global morphine market
Morphine is a pain reliever that can be used to treat moderate to severechronic pain. It's also used to manage pain after major surgeries, cancer-related pain, and shortness of breath. However, morphine can be highly addictive due to the rapid development of tolerance to it. When someone abuses this potent narcotic regularly, tolerance is usually the first step in developing an addiction. Moreover, to feel the effects of morphine,needed higher doses. When morphine users acquire a tolerance, they will experience withdrawal symptoms if they don't take it, making it difficult to quit. Furthermore, psychological dependence on morphine often develops shortly after the physical dependence.
- Strict government regulations and side effects associated with morphine drugs
Value Chain Analysis:The global morphine market is growing steadily and is expected to continue growing at the same rate in the near future. This is due to the increase in the use of morphine for pain management, improving regulations regarding morphine, established healthcare infrastructure, and the availability of better medical facilities, along with increasing patient pool with cancer,orthopedic illnesses, and other chronic diseases. The value chain analysis for the global morphine market comprises five major components: the procurement of raw materials, R&D, manufacturing of the products, distribution and sales, and post-sales monitoring.Morphine Market Segment OverviewBy Dosage form
- Injection: Patients who are vomiting, unconscious, or in case of emergency, morphineis given by injection into a vein, into a muscle, or under the skin.
- Oral: The oral segment is expected to witness high growth in the global morphine market, owing to the increasing prescription and capability of morphine as strong pain relievers among pharmacists across the globe.
- Pain Management: Morphine is a pain reliever that is used to treat moderate to severe pain. Extended-release morphine pills and capsules are only used to treat severe pain that is uncontrollable with other pain relievers. In addition, opioids play a vital role in acute post-operative settings to provide adequate analgesia. According to the International Osteoporosis Foundation, osteoporosis is one of the most important public health issues among women, impacting more than 30% of the population in the US and Europe each year and resulting in many fractures. According to data, the increasing prevalence of the disease with pain increases the segment growth. The pain management segment is further sub-segmented into cancer pain, neuropathic pain, osteoarthritis pain, and other pain management.
- Diarrhea Suppressant: Diarrhea is a common and serious complication among cancer patients. It could be caused by a local infection, systemic inflammation, and side effect of radiotherapy or chemotherapy. Morphine acts on mu-receptors in the intestine, slowing intestinal transit time and boosting net absorption. The role of tincture of opium-like morphine (10 mg/mL morphine) in the treatment of diarrhea has been documented by the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- Cold &Cough Suppressant: Cough is prevalent in around 65% of patients with lung cancer and 70% of patients with COPD. Morphine sulfate is an effective antitussive in intractable chronic cough.
By End User
- Hospitals & Clinics: The advancement in the hospital infrastructure across the globe is driving the morphine market. As the number of orthopedicdisorders and cancer patients increases, the demand for morphine in hospitals& clinics is also positively impacted. Hospitals& clinics held the majority share in 2020 due to the high orthopedic procedures & cancer treatment carried out in hospitals and clinics due to rising incidents ofcancer andorthopedicdisorders.
- Moreover, according to the National Health Service report of 2018, in the United Kingdom, more than 10 million people have arthritis or other similar conditions that affect the joints
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers: Outpatient services can encompass a wide range of procedures, such as surgeries, minimally invasive therapies, and other procedures.Moreover, ambulatory surgery centers are designed to maximize the efficiency of health care delivery, thus driving the growth of morphine market segment
By Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies The hospital pharmacies segment held a significant market share in 2020.Because most hospitals have in-house pharmacies, the necessity for a prescription for chemotherapy-related pain and other types of chronic pain in orthopedic disorders, such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, osteoporosis, and elbow pain, boosts the market for hospital pharmacies.
- Online Stores:Online stores are convenient, time-saving, and cost-efficient; hence, this is expected to be the fastest-growing segment during the forecast period.
- Retail Pharmacies:An independent pharmacy, a supermarket pharmacy, a chain pharmacy, or a mass merchandiser pharmacy with a state license to distribute drugs to the general public at retail pricing is referred to as a retailpharmacy.The growth of the retail pharmacies segment owes to the ease of accessibility of these distribution channelsespecially in rural areas and tier-II cities in the developing as well as under-developed economies.
Morphine Market Regional AnalysisNorth America
- The increasing prevalence of arthritis and other inflammatory disorders in the regionis driving the North American Morphine Market
- North America held the largest morphine market share in 2020. The morphine market growth is attributed to the factors such as the presence of key players, the increasing prevalence of arthritis and other inflammatory disorders in the region, and established healthcare infrastructure. Furthermore, favorable government initiatives, an increase in the number of research partnerships, and increasing prescription of painkillers are the drivers expected to increase the morphine market growth in morphine market region.
- The increasing prevalence of chronic diseases is fueling the Asia-Pacific MorphineMarket
- The Asia-Pacific morphine market is projected to be the fastest-growing regional market. The increasing prevalence of chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disorders,rising patient population, and new treatment methods are the major drivers for market growth. Moreover, rising healthcare expenditure in the region is driving the growth of the morphine market in the Asia Pacific region.
Morphine Market- Competitive Landscape
- The morphine market is greatly consolidated in nature, with the presence of leading players operating in this space. They focus on research & development activities majorly for pain management and other therapeutic applications such as cough and diarrhea suppression in various clinical and research fields. In addition, the market players are offering mergers and acquisitions, contractual agreements, new product launches, increasing investments, and partnering with other players to expand their global footprint.Moreover, in July 2020, researchers from the Cohen Children's Medical Center, New York, revealed that the use of intrathecal morphine after the surgical treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis patients could help curb hospital costs and control post-operative pain in better ways. This also results in a lower opioid requirement in a significant way than patient-controlled analgesia.
List of Key Companies Covered in this Report:
- Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals (Ireland)
- Alcaliber (Spain)
- Purdue Pharma (US)
- Sanofi Winthrop Industrie (France)
- Macfarlan Smith (UK)
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (India)
- Qinghai Pharmaceutical (China)
- Northeast Pharmaceutical Group (China)
- Pfizer Inc. (US)
- Verve Health Care Ltd. (India)
- Johnson Matthey Fine Chemicals (UK)
- Manus Aktteva Biopharma LLP (India)
- Mayne Pharma Group Limited (Australia)
- Daiichi Sankyo Inc. (Japan)
- Taj Pharmaceuticals Limited (India)
- In May 2021, Amphastar Pharmaceuticals (US) Received FDA Approval for Morphine Sulfate Injection.
- In September 2018, Purdue Pharma (US) patented a new form of buprenorphine which controls cravings and is used to treat addiction to opioids such as OxyContin.
- The study covers the existing short-term and long-term market effects, as well as helping decision-makers to draught short-term and long-term plans for businesses by region. The morphine market report covers major regions in North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the rest of the world. The report analyzes market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, Porters Five Forces, Value Chain, and impact of COVID-19 on the morphine market.
Scope of the Report & SegmentationBy Dosage Form
- Other Dosage Forms
- Pain Management
- Cancer Pain
- Neuropathic Pain
- Osteoarthritis Pain
- Other Pain Management
- Diarrhea Suppressant
- Cold & Cough Suppressant
By Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
By End User
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers