Global Membrane Chromatography Market is expected to cross USD 635 Million by 2027 at a CAGR of 17.5%.
Membrane chromatography is a bioseparation technology based on the integration of membrane filtration and liquid chromatography into a single-stage operation. The membrane chemistry advancement has yielded novel membrane devices with high binding capacities and improved mass transfer properties. It significantly reduces downstream bioprocessing costs due to the disposable nature, low buffer consumption, and reduced equipment costs.
The rising prevalence of COVID-19 is projected to influence market growth over the forecast period. As the coronavirus outbreak continues, majority of pharmaceutical companies experienced a significant loss, thereby hampering the membrane chromatography market. Many companies have restricted or halted their manufacturing and supply operations in the initial phase of the pandemic. However, the current situation of COVID-19 is expected to reach normalcy since the medical professionals and health authorities in the countries are taking the necessary steps to fight against the virus.
- Increasing benefits provided by new methods of membrane chromatography over conventional methods
- Membrane chromatography is used only in very niche applications such as the removal of dilute impurities such as viruses, endotoxins, and DNA in the flow-through mode. Over the past decade, the method has been accepted as the polishing step in several commercial processes to produce monoclonal antibody therapeutics. In the biopharmaceutical industry, downstream processing is completely dependent on chromatography. According to the published article in Wiley Online Library in 2016, it offers key advantages for applications that do not require high-resolution separation, such as flow-through process steps. These advantages include not only the ease of use but also a significantly lower cost.
- Moreover, increasing demand for membrane chromatography and growing regulatory scrutiny on the cleaning validation of downstream purification processes are also significantly propelling the growth of the membrane chromatography market.
- The increasing number of manufacturers involved in new product launch and strategic collaborations in the membrane chromatography market
Market players of membrane chromatography are involved in merger & acquisition, product launch, and strategic collaborations among established and emerging players.
- In 2020, Danaher Corporation completed the acquisition of the Biopharma business of General Electric Company’s Life Sciences division and rebranded it as Cytiva.
- In 2019, Sartorius AG entered into an agreement to acquire parts of Danaher’s Life Science portfolio, which complemented the portfolio of Sartorius’ laboratory and bioprocess business.
- Growing regulatory scrutiny on the cleaning validation of downstream purification processes
- Rising demand for membrane chromatography in the biopharmaceutical industry and R&D
- Limited use of membrane chromatography in large scale manufacturing due to technical limitations
- Despite various advantages provided by membrane chromatography, there are several limitations of the technology which is are restricting the market growth. For instance, according to Pharm Focus Asia, the greatest limitation of membrane absorbers is in the bind-and-elute operations for small molecules, where the binding capacity is lower than equivalent columns. These factors are expected to limit market growth over the forecast period.
- The consumables being used for the membrane chromatography market are capsules, cassettes and cartridges, syringe filters, spin columns, membrane disc & sheets, and others. The capsules, cassettes, and cartridges are expected to hold a considerable market share in 2019, owing to the increasing use of capsules and cartridges for virus purification applications in biomanufacturing, lab-scale production, and process development.
- It includes a filter and capsule holder, among others. Increasing demand for these membrane chromatography accessories in biopharmaceutical and pharmaceutical companies is driving the growth of this segment.
- Ion Exchange Membrane Chromatography:
- It is classified into anion exchange membrane chromatography and cation exchange membrane chromatography. The ion exchange membrane chromatography segment accounted for the largest share in the membrane chromatography market in 2019. It is a process that separates ions and polar molecules based on their affinity to the ion exchanger. It works on almost any charged molecule, including small nucleotides, large proteins, and amino acids. The rising adoption of ion-exchange chromatography in the analysis of pharmaceutical drugs and its identification is fueling the growth of this segment.
- Affinity Membrane Chromatography:
- Affinity chromatography is unique among separation methods as it is the only technique that permits the purification of proteins based on biological functions rather than individual physical or chemical properties. Increasing demand for therapeutic protein and wide usage of affinity membrane chromatography in various industries such as biopharmaceuticals is propelling the growth of this segment.
- Hydrophobic Interaction Membrane Chromatography
- Hydrophobic interaction membrane chromatography is a separation technique for purifying proteins while maintaining biological activity due to the use of conditions and matrices that operate under less denaturing conditions. Rising demand for these chromatography techniques for protein purification is driving the growth of this segment.
- The increasing number of clinical research organizations and rapid adoption of membrane chromatography in pharma and biopharma companies through outsourcing activities is boosting the market growth.
- Pharmaceutical and Biopharmaceutical Companies:
- The pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies segment is expected to hold the largest market share in 2019 due to increased R&D activities and the production of biologics at a rapid scale along with the rapidly growing biopharmaceutical industry.
- The other end-users of membrane chromatography are research and academic institutes. With increasing investments in R&D, research institutes play a major role in protein identification through the usage of membrane chromatography techniques, which is driving the growth of this segment.
- The North America market accounted for the largest share in 2019, owing to well-established research organizations involved in research activities, the high adoption rate of membrane chromatography by researchers, and a rising number of pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies. The presence of major market players in this region and their contribution through merger & acquisition and product launch is also boosting the market growth. For instance, In 2018, 3M Company relaunched Emphaze AEX Hybrid Purifier Capsules. North America is expected to continue dominating the global membrane chromatography market during the forecast period owing to a rise in R&D investments by public and private players in the healthcare sector.
- The European membrane chromatography market is driven by the rising R&D expenditure by biopharmaceutical companies, increasing investment in the R&D sector, and market players playing a significant role in contributing to the market growth. For instance, in April 2020, Sartorius, a leading international partner of life science research and the biopharmaceutical industry, acquired selected life science businesses of Danaher Corporation. The acquisition will promote innovative protein analysis instruments, biosensors, and reagents that are used in drug discovery
- The Asia-Pacific membrane chromatography market is expected to be the fastest-growing due to rapidly growing and improving healthcare infrastructure, establishments of research organizations, and welcoming investments in biotechnology. In addition, factors such as the growing biopharmaceutical industry, increasing government support, significant investments by key market players, and developing R&D infrastructure are supporting the growth of this market.
- Middle East & Africa:
- Rising per capita expenditure of the population in the healthcare sector and high adoption rate of the membrane chromatography technology by pharmaceutical companies, booming biotechnology sector, and advancements in membrane chromatographic techniques are major factors contributing to the growth of the membrane chromatography market in this region.
- Sartorius AG (Germany)
- Danaher Corporation (US)
- Merck Millipore (US)
- Thermo Fisher Scientific (US)
- 3M (US)
- Asahi Kasei Corporation (Japan)
- Cole-Parmer Instrument Company, LLC (US)
- Restek Corporation (US)
- Purilogics (US)
- GVS Group (Italy)
2027: USD 635 Million
Value (USD Million)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Product, Technique, End-user
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Sartorius AG (Germany), Danaher Corporation (US), Merck Millipore (US), Thermo Fisher Scientific (US), 3M (US), Asahi Kasei Corporation (Japan), Cole-Parmer Instrument Company, LLC (US), Restek Corporation (US), Purilogics (US), and GVS Group (Italy).
Key Market Opportunities
Increasing benefits provided by new methods of membrane chromatography over conventional methods. The increasing number of manufacturers involved in new product launch and strategic collaborations
Key Market Drivers
Growing regulatory scrutiny on the cleaning validation of downstream purification processes. Rising demand for membrane chromatography in the biopharmaceutical industry and R&D
This table of content is tentative and subject to change as the research progresses.
Please Note: Financial details of company cannot be provided if the information of the company is not available in public domain and or reliable source.