According to MRFR analysis, the Global Acrylic Sheets Market is projected to register a CAGR of over 5.5% to reach a value of around USD 6 Billion by 2027.
Acrylic is a transparent plastic material with outstanding strength, stiffness, and optical clarity. It sheet is easy to fabricate, bonds well with adhesives and solvents, and is easy to thermoform. The material has superior weathering properties compared to many other transparent plastics.
The acrylic sheet exhibits glass-like qualities such as clarity, brilliance, and transparency. It is lightweight and has a higher impact resistance as compared to glass. The acrylic sheet is known by many names such as acrylic, acrylic glass, and plexiglass. Brand names include Plexiglas, Evonik Cryo Acrylite, Lucite, Plaskolite, Optix, and Perspex, among others.
The global acrylic sheets market is primarily driven by its use in the building & construction industry for various applications such as home improvement projects, kitchen backsplash, windows, wall partitions, and home furniture and décor, among others. Acrylic sheets are the ideal choice of material due to the superior properties such as excellent optical clarity, 17 times impact resistance as compared to glass, lightweight, temperature, and chemical resistance.
In addition to this, it is widely used in commercial and structural glazing to create weather and storm-resistant windows, large and bulletproof windows, and durable skylights.
Players operating in this market are focused on various strategic initiatives such as expansion and product launch. For instance, in April 2020, 3A Composites increased the production of PERSPEX transparent acrylic sheets by 300% to support the fabrication of hygienic protection walls in the UK and other European countries in response to the growing demand to protect from the COVID-19 pandemic.
ASTM D4802 specifies the guidelines for the production of acrylic sheets by various processes. However, the acrylic sheet raw materials include vinyl acetate or methyl acrylate, which are synthetic fibers made from a polymer (polyacrylonitrile). The regulations on the health and environmental hazards of these raw materials affect the production and use of acrylic sheets.
Higher load-bearing capacity as compared to polycarbonate
- Increasing building & construction industry
- Use in retail and visual communication
- Non-biodegradability of acrylic sheets
- Extruded Acrylic Sheet: These sheets are inferior in quality compared to cast acrylic sheets, but have three times stronger impact resistance than most double strength window glass yet weighs at least half as much. They work well for display cases, lighting, signage, and framing, as well as many other applications. The sheets can be either color tinted or crystal bright, depending on the need, and will become yellow or fade with time.
- Cast Acrylic Sheet: Cast acrylic is lightweight, impact-resistant, and durable sheet. It can be fabricated easily into any desired shape, comes in many different colors, sizes, thicknesses, and finishes, and works well for everything from display cases to windows. The segment is further divided into cell cast acrylic sheet and continuous cast acrylic sheets.
- Building & Architecture: In building & architecture applications, acrylic sheets find uses in windows, skylights, partitions, doors, patio roofing, and balcony guards, among others. Rapid industrialization and home renovation across the globe drive the demand for acrylic sheets.
- Visual Communication & Retail: These sheets are commonly used in retail displays, point of sale displays, and visual communications, among others. Acrylic sheets are used for incorporating three-dimensional elements or unique lighting effects and are available in a range of colors, textures, and finish options.
- Furniture & Design: The sheets are widely used in furniture such as chairs, tables, and countertops. Acrylic sheets are lightweight and fingerprint, stain, and scratch-resistant, which makes them ideal for furniture & design applications.
- Automotive & Transport: In automotive & transportation, the acrylic sheets are used in mirror housings, rear outer lenses, badging, autonomous driving sensor lenses, motorcycle windshields, commercial aircraft interior window panels, glider & helicopter glazing, vehicle registration plates, and others.
- Electricals & Electronics: Owing to its lightweight, shock and abrasion resistance, and excellent fabrication, it is used in a wide range of electrical & electronics applications such as display protection, electrical enclosures, and others.
- Sanitaryware: It is used as a substitute for materials such as glass, wood, and ceramic in sanitary ware such as tubs, sinks, and showers.
- Others: The others segment includes lightings, medical equipment, marine, etc.
- North America: The North American market for acrylic sheets is likely to witness growth on account of the investments in infrastructural development.
- Europe: The market in Europe is projected to showcase growth due to the high production and sales of automotive components.
- Asia-Pacific: Asia-Pacific is expected to be the fastest-growing regional market due to the increased consumer spending, rising working population, and changing lifestyles in the region.
- Middle East & Africa: Extensive growth of the construction sector in GCC countries promote the demand for acrylic sheets.
- Latin America: The rapid economic development in the region is the key driver for the growth of the major end-use industries in the region, which is expected to drive the demand for acrylic sheets in the Middle East & Africa market during the review period.
- Lucite International (US)
- Evonik Industries AG (Germany)
- 3A Composites GmbH (Switzerland)
- Arkema (France)
- Elastin International Corp., (Taiwan)
- Asia Poly Industrial Sdn Bhd (Malaysia)
- Ray Chung Acrylic Enterprise Co., Ltd. (Taiwan)
- Plaskolite (US)
- JuMei Acrylic (China)
- Aristech Surfaces LLC (US)
- Gevacril (Italy)
- PT Margacipta Wirasentosa (Indonesia)
- Shanghai acrylic(cast) chemical corporation (China)
- Shen Chuen Acrylic (Ningbo) Co., Ltd. (China)
- Sun Acrylam Private Limited (India)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
The revenue of Global Acrylic Sheets Market will be USD 6 Billion by 2027.
The CAGR of Global Acrylic Sheets Market is over 5.5%.
The market USP of the Global Acrylic Sheets Market is higher load-bearing capacity as compared to polycarbonate.
Lucite International, Evonik Industries AG, 3A Composites GmbH, Arkema are the top four key players of the Global Acrylic Sheets Market.
Global acrylic sheets market is mainly driven by its usage in the building & construction industry for various applications such as kitchen backsplash, home improvement projects, wall partitions, windows, and home furniture and décor.