According to the MRFR analysis, Waterproofing Membrane Market Size was valued at USD 21.10 billion in 2021. The Waterproofing Membrane market industry is projected to grow from USD 22.70 Billion in 2022 to USD 38.50 billion by 2030, exhibiting a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.87 % during the forecast period (2022 - 2030).
A waterproofing membrane is a barrier that is laid or applied on a surface to prohibit corrosion and dampness in the surface thus, helps in making the resistant from environmental changes. Waterproofing membranes are important as they help to extend the structural integrity of the surface.
The stringent regulations and standards for waterproofing membrane used in the building & construction and mining industries are likely to boost the demand for waterproofing membrane during the forecast period. For instance, EN 13707 for ‘Reinforced Bitumen Sheets for Roof Waterproofing’; EN 13956 for ‘Plastic and Rubber Sheets for Roof Waterproofing’; ASTM D173 Standard Specification for ‘Bitumen-Saturated Cotton Fabrics Used in Roofing Waterproofing’; ASTM D 4637-04 for ‘EPDM Sheet used in Single-Ply Roof Membrane’; and ; ASTM D41 Standard Specification for ‘Asphalt Primer Used in Roofing, Dampproofing, and Waterproofing’; and ASTM D449 Standard Specification, for ‘Asphalt Used in Dampproofing and Waterproofing’.
By Product Type
- Liquid Applied Membrane: The largest segment with a share of around 5% in 2021 and the segment is expected to register the highest CAGR during the forecast period. These membranes are in the liquid state and can be applied as paints. Moreover, they exhibit excellent waterproofing property.
- Acrylic: Acrylic liquid membrane has a high solid content elastomeric liquid membrane, owing to which they have a good resistant towards extreme heat, snowfall, and hailstorms.
- Bituminous: Bituminous liquid membrane sub-segment held the largest share of the liquid applied membrane segment owing to its excellent water-resistant properties. Moreover, bituminous liquid membranes are more cost-effective than other membranes.
- Polyurethane: The excellent binding properties of polyurethane resin have increased their application in the manufacturing of liquid waterproofing membrane. These membranes are majorly used in roofing applications due to their excellent UV resistant nature.
- Sheet-Based Membrane: Sheet-based waterproofing membranes have better performance than liquid applied membrane as they can bridge over cracks and gaps better. However, these membranes are hard to apply on smaller surfaces. Thus, making liquid-applied membrane a preferred choice for small roofs and roofs with a lot of obstacles.
- Bituminous: The segment accounted for the largest share of the segment (over 40%) in 2021. These membranes are applied by heat or attached with adhesives owing to their elongation and recovery properties they offer high tensile strength and durability.
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC): PVC waterproofing membranes are mainly used in commercial roofing systems and are produced by calendaring or extrusion process, which provides these PVC membrane greater strength and dimensional stability.
- Ethylene Propylene Diene Terpolymer (EPDM): EPDM is an elastomeric waterproofing membrane made of EPDM rubber, owing to which the EPDM membrane has excellent elasticity and cross-linking properties. EPDM finds major applications in water reservoirs, swimming pools, and ponds.
- Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO): TPO membrane becomes soft when subjected to heat and can be reprocessed like thermoplastic owing to which its demand is expected to increase during the forecast period.
- Roofing: Held the largest market share of over 35% in 2021 and is expected to follow the same trend during the review period. Waterproofing membranes are used in flat, pitched, and domed roofs.
- Wastewater Management: Waterproofing membranes are used to prevent water ingression from concrete water tanks in wastewater treatment plants. The growing wastewater treatment industry, especially in Europe and North America, is expected to boost the growth of the market during the forecast period.
- Building Structures: Waterproofing membranes are applied in the building envelops to protect contents and structural integrity. The increasing construction activities across the globe is expected to fuel market growth during the forecast period.
- Tunnel Liners: Waterproofing membranes are used in tunnel liners to protect the inner shell from underground water. The increasing mining activities in Latin America and Europe is expected to boost market growth during the forecast period.
- Bridges and Highways: Waterproofing membranes act as a barrier between the materials and the concrete deck and prevent the moisture from reaching the concrete thus maintain the structural integrity of the bridges and highways.
- North America: Increasing reconstruction activities in the region with the growing demand for waterproofing membrane in the construction industry.
- Europe: Driven by the increasing demand for better waterproofing system in the region.
- Asia-Pacific: The largest and most opportunistic market.
- Latin America: Increasing construction and mining activities
- Middle East & Africa: Increasing investment in the infrastructure sector
Read More Article Details - Waterproofing Membrane Market