Market Research Future (MRFR) has published on the “Global Waterless washing machines Market”.
Global Waterless Washing Machine Market
Waterless Washing machines are new-age washing machines that are developed in a way the overall water usage per laundry load is significantly reduced or eliminated. The reduction of water usage in the washing machines model not only aids in curbing the negative environmental impact but also helps in reducing the overall energy expenditure, as around 60% of the total emissions from a washing machine are mainly from the heating process of the water. Further, the different technologies used in the waterless washing machines help in better fabric care than the standard washing machine models.
The younger generations, Gen Z and millennials are increasingly focusing on the environmental footprint and making their purchasing decisions accordingly. Recent consumer surveys conducted among the younger generations by various corporate organizations and research institutions highlight that they are willing to pay a premium for products that are either eco-friendly or manufactured using sustainable practices or methodology. For instance, a report published by one of the leading DTC e-commerce firms, ESW on the topic “Sustainable Global Growth and Shopper Expectations” in 2023 highlighted that around 94% of Gen Z and 93% of millennials shoppers have prioritized sustainability as a key aspect while purchasing products. This trend is anticipated to provide significant thrust to the demand for waterless washing machines in the global market in the forecast period.
According to the MRFR analysis, the global waterless washing machine market is projected to reach USD 11,865.47 million by 2032 at a CAGR of 6.13%.
UNESCO has forecast that 1.7-2.4 billion people will be exposed to water scarcity in urban areas by 2050. This is up from 930 million in 2016. A 2023 survey by Ecolab found that 74% of consumers believe that organizations should prioritize water conservation. The survey also found that 3/5th of respondents or their family members had problems accessing drinking water. According to the Environment Agency, washing machines and dishwashers account for 16% of water consumption in the residential sector. As consumers become more aware of water scarcity, they are looking for ways to conserve water. Thus, the increasing consumer awareness of water scarcity and initiatives to curb water wastage & negative environmental issues.
Energy costs have been rising over the years due to the impact of COVID-19, the Russia-Ukraine war, inflationary pressures, and shortage of coal and power sources in various key countries including Brazil, India, etc. World Bank data suggest that the invasion of Russia into Ukraine alone has resulted in a surge of energy costs by more than 50% at the start of 2022. The increasing energy costs and the environmental impact associated with higher energy are influencing the consumer buying behavior of electrical and home appliances. According to the MRFR analysis, around 50% of households across various key developed countries and markets are planning to upgrade their home appliances that are more energy efficient and thus would help in reducing monthly energy bills. Most waterless washing machines are inherently energy-efficient due to the elimination of the need for heating the water for washing clothes. Hence, the anticipated rise of energy costs across the globe is expected to create lucrative opportunities for the players in the global waterless washing machines market during the forecast period.
Access full report @ https://www.marketresearchfuture.com/reports/waterless-washing-machines-market-12139
COVID-19 Impact on Waterless Washing Machine Market
The COVID-19 virus outbreak had varying degrees of impact on enormous sectors span across global regions and countries. The global economy has witnessed a strong decline in the initial phase of the outbreak as various key sectors either came to a standstill or reduced operations. In order to curb the spread of the virus, various governments have implemented lockdowns and restrictions on people's movement in groups, this has resulted in the functioning of manufacturing industries at reduced manpower and capacity. Also, governments to overcome the pandemic and inflationary pressure have hiked their interest rates resulting in a credit crunch for various manufacturers including washing machines.
The hospitality and manufacturing sectors are two of the worst-hit industry during the COVID-19 pandemic, as international and domestic tourism has been restricted the demand for industrial washing machines including waterless washing machines had a negative impact. In addition, the raw material costs were also recorded to surge due to supply chain bottlenecks which have hampered the growth of waterless washing machines during the pandemic phase.
The global Waterless Washing Machine market is at the nascent stage of the growth phase and has very limited players across the region. Presently the companies are engaged in testing the functioning of the machine at various parameters to ensure the product claims are achieved completely before the commercial launch. To upscale and establish the brand in the market, players in the market are anticipated to engage in rigorous marketing campaigns highlighting the benefits of the waterless washing machines through social media platforms so that it can reach the highly-convertible population like Gen Z and millennials. On the supply side, the players are increasingly focused on entering into strategic partnerships and collaboration with the raw material suppliers to ensure an uninterrupted supply and better procurement cost.
As governments across the world are recommending water conservation and environmental issues, the demand for waterless washing machines is expected to grow at a steady pace. In line with the trend, companies in the market are also trying to incorporate energy certifications to showcase the energy efficiency of waterless washing machines. Key players include Xeros Technology, 80 Wash, and LG Electronics, Inc.
By End User
- Residential: Washing machines have played a major role in family management and women's workforce participation. They have also contributed to water conservation efforts. In the 19th and 20th centuries, washing machines helped to lessen the burden of household chores on women. This led to more women entering the workforce, which had a positive impact on the economy. Recent technological innovations in washing machines have made them even more efficient. This has led to increased demand for water-efficient washing machines, including waterless washing machines. As consumers become more aware of the environmental impact of water use, the demand for water-efficient washing machines is expected to grow. This will help to conserve water and protect the environment. The segment held the highest market share of 95.23% in 2022.
- Commercial: Commercial segment comprises the industrial and institutional users of waterless washing machines including hotels, lodges, resorts, hospitals, commercial industrial cleaning service providers, and industries where there is a need for washing clothes of the workers and employees. Laundry cleaning is one of the many amenities provided by hotels and similar establishments for better customer service and satisfaction. This translates to the need for cost-effective solutions for laundry so that the business can reduce the expenses spent on water, energy, and labor heads. The strong growth of the global tourism industry and the emergence of new tourism types like eco-tourism are anticipated to positively affect the growth of the segment. The segment is anticipated to register the fastest growth of 9.00% during the forecast period.
- Ultrasonic Cleaning Systems: Ultrasonic cleaning systems use the high frequency of the ultrasonic generator which is then converted to mechanical oscillation with the help of transducers. The mechanical oscillation when passed through the cleaning agent or liquid agent small-sized droplets in the range of micrometers of bubbles are formed. The cavitation effect in the bubble formation helps in boosting the temperature and pressure inside the machine which aids in better washing of the fabric.
- Polymer-Based Washing Systems: Polymer-based washing systems use beads or pebbles that absorb dirt and stains from laundry. The beads rotate in the drum and exert mild mechanical pressure to remove dirt. These systems use very little water and can be reused after rinsing. Because they do not require detergent, they have a lower environmental impact. The segment held the largest market share of 82.04% in 2022 in the global waterless washing machine market.
- Carbon-dioxide Washing Systems: Carbon dioxide washing systems use carbon dioxide gas in place of water for cleaning and washing fabric. The operation of such waterless washing machines is achieved by trapping carbon dioxide gas from the environment and converting it into liquid form by the process of refrigeration and compression in successive stages. Carbon dioxide in liquid form is used for removing the dirt particles from the clothes owing to the viscosity and surface tension of it. Once the clothes are washed the liquified CO2 is converted into gaseous form which is then re-utilized in the next load of washing. The segment is expected to grow at a faster CAGR of 7.19% during the forecast period.
By Distribution Channel
- Offline: Offline retail stores are the dominant distribution channel for waterless washing machines. This is because offline stores offer a touch-and-feel experience, as well as installation services, which are not available online. Offline stores also have trained experts who can help consumers select the right waterless washing machine for their needs. In developing and least-developed countries, the penetration of the Internet and e-commerce is still in its early stages. This means that offline stores have a stronger reach than online stores in these markets. As waterless washing machines are a new and innovative product, offline stores are well-positioned to reach the target audience and educate them about the benefits of waterless washing machines.
- Online: Online segment comprises the sales of waterless washing machines through the brand’s e-commerce website and third-party e-commerce sites that are either exclusively dedicated to the distribution of electrical appliances or general products e-commerce portals. Online sales channel has been gaining popularity over the years across various key economies including the US, the UK, Canada, India, China, etc. owing to the convenience of purchasing at just a click and the benefit of exploring a different range of models, brands, costs, and other key parameters. Moreover, the e-commerce channels generally provide different types of discounts over the year like for the festive season, holiday season, and others which is playing a key role in the adoption of the channel for the purchase of various home appliances including the waterless washing machines. The segment is anticipated to grow at the fastest rate of 10.69% during 2023-2032.
- North America: North America is the leading market for waterless washing machines at a share of 29.78% in 2022, due to the high-earning population, increasing share of working women, and government regulations. The high-earning population in the US is willing to try new appliances, even if they are more expensive. The increasing share of working women in the US means that there is a demand for appliances that can help reduce the workload. Government regulations that promote water conservation and energy efficiency are also driving demand for waterless washing machines
- Europe: European households do an average of 200 loads of laundry per year, consuming 15,000 liters of water and emitting 60% of their laundry-related greenhouse gas emissions. Consumers in Europe are increasingly aware of the environmental impact of laundry washing and are taking steps to reduce their environmental impact. For example, 35 million households in Europe have switched to washing clothes at a lower temperature, saving 952,000 tons of carbon dioxide equivalent. The shift towards waterless washing machines is also gaining traction in Europe, as consumers look for ways to reduce their water consumption. The increasing consumer awareness of the environmental impact of laundry washing and the shift in consumer preference towards adopting initiatives to reduce water consumption are anticipated to drive the growth of the waterless washing machines market in Europe. The segment is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 5.93% during the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific: The Asia-Pacific waterless washing machines market is the second-largest in the world. The region is home to a large and growing middle-class population, which is driving demand for waterless washing machines. Additionally, the region is experiencing rapid urbanization, which is also contributing to the growth of the market. The middle-class population in the Asia-Pacific region is witnessing strong growth in disposable income levels. This is translating to the increased affordability of advanced technology lifestyles, including waterless washing machines. Additionally, the region is experiencing rapid urbanization, which is leading to an increase in the number of households with access to waterless washing machines. As a result of these factors, the Asia-Pacific waterless washing machines market is expected to grow at the highest CAGR of 7.47% from 2023 to 2030. The major countries in the region driving the growth of the market are China, India, and Japan.
- South America: South America region comprises the revenue generated from the waterless washing machines sales in Brazil, Argentina, and the rest of South America countries. Water scarcity is one of the growing problems in the region and has experienced several droughts in recent years which resulted in water shortages in many places in South America. Also, the southern Amazon has been recording a strong rate of deforestation in 2020 compared to the previous 10 years which is also expected to worsen the climate of the region further. This situation is expected to boost the demand for waterless washing machines during the forecast period.
- Middle East and Africa: Middle East and Africa regional segment comprises sub-segments namely GCC countries, Turkey, Northern Africa, and Southern Africa. Middle East and Africa are two of the most water-scare regions compared to other parts of the world inherently owing to its climate and geographical position. As a result, the price of water in the region is quite high compared to the rest of the world and also the countries in the region are witnessing a surge in disposable incomes which are expected to positively impact the consumer buying preference for waterless washing machines during the forecast period. The segment is forecasted to grow at the second-highest CAGR of 7.05% in the global waterless washing machine market