Zinc is a healthy nutrient that plays a very important role in the human body. A human body is not capable of producing zinc on its own, so it is important to obtain this nutrient from other sources such as supplements or foods. You need to include an appropriate amount of zinc in your daily diet to stay fit and healthy.
Zinc helps to boost up the defensive system so that the immunity system can fight off all the harmful bacterias or viruses in the body. Zinc is required to make DNA and protein in the body and also the genetic cell materials. It is required for the better development of cell division and cell growth. It helps to heal wounds and in breaking down carbohydrates.
What zinc do to your body?
Zinc is one of the most essential nutrients which can be obtained from the foods we eat. Zinc is widely available in plants and animals. It helps the body to maintain various functions properly. Here is a list of things zinc can do to your body.
- Development and growth of cells
- Heals the wounds faster
- Synthesis DNA
- Proper immune function
- Protein synthesis
- Enzymatic reactions
- Gene expression
Zinc is present in every cell of the body and it is the most abundant trace of mineral in the human body after iron.
Zinc Deficiency Symptoms
Zinc deficiency can cause serious trouble in the human body, about 450,000 children die every 5 years due to the lack of zinc in their body. According to the reports, about 2 billion people around the world are deficient in zinc due to a poor diet.
The people who are at high risk of zinc deficiency are as follows:
- People who are suffering from Crohn’s disease
- The vegetarian [people
- The womens who are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Older women who are breastfeeding
- People who have sickle cell anemia
- Malnourished people
- People suffering from kidney disease
- People who consume alcohol a lot
Mild zinc deficiency symptoms
- Bad immunity system
- Thinning of hair
- Decreased appetite
- Mood swings
- Very dry skin
- Issues related to fertility
- Wounds takes a lot of time to heal
Good food sources of zinc
The appropriate amount of zinc can be obtained from plants and animals, as they are naturally rich in zinc. Here are some good food sources of zinc
- Meat including lamb, beef, pork, and bison
- Chicken and turkey
- Varieties of fish including sardines, flounder, sole, and salmon
- Daily products milk, cheese, and yogurt
- Lentis, black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, etc
- Seeds and nuts including cashew, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc
- Whole grains wheat, brown rice, oats, etc
- Few vegetables like peas, beet greens, mushrooms, asparagus, and kale
Hence, animal products are a very rich source of zinc which can be absorbed by the body quickly and easily. A proper amount of zinc should be added to your daily meal whether it’s plant-based or animal-based.