We've probably all heard or said, "It's incredibly humid here, making it hard to breathe." It's not as hot as it seems. The reason behind the statement is the humidity. One of the ways of body cooling itself is through sweat. But, on a humid day, it takes longer to cool as there is a higher amount of water vapor in the air. High humidity not only makes us uncomfortable. But it can also increase the chances of making us sick due to excess heat. A humidity sensor is a right choice to check the humidity level to prevent the body from overheating.
A humidity sensor is an electronic device to detect, measure, and report findings to the user. Humidity sensors gauge the air and moisture levels present in the atmosphere. The readings and measurements of sensors are in the way of electronic signals. The humidity sensor industry has evolved significantly in terms of technological advancements setting up multiple growth opportunities for the global humidity sensor market. A moisture sensor is effortlessly found in simple handheld devices like smartphones and large devices like air quality monitoring devices.
Uses of Humidity Sensors
A Hygrometer (Humidity monitor) is widely used in industrial, residential, and domestic applications.
- A low-cost electronic gadget called a humidity sensor measures how humid the air is.
- A high degree of machinery and temperature is used in the manufacturing and automobile industries. This affects the weather conditions in the closed premises. As a safety and security measure for personnel, temperature, and humidity sensors are crucial for use.
- A humidity sensor locates the high-humidity area in domestic and residential settings. After identification, homeowners can keep space for ventilation to keep the humidity level in control.
- The exact moisture content is required for the plants to grow in the agricultural industry. Moisture monitors help in maintaining the levels effective in drip irrigation.
- In the medical industry, highly hygienic equipment like ventilators, sterilizers, and incubators need proper humidity control. Here, the temperature sensor can control the rising humidity.
Variety of Humidity Sensors Available in the Market
A suitable humidity sensor is placed depending on the location and the temperature levels. There are 3 varieties of humidity sensors prevailing in the humidity sensor industry. They are:
Capacitive Humidity Sensors-
It measures the relative humidity in the surrounding environment. It measures the ratio of the absolute amount of water in the air to the possible humidity level. The capacitive sensor changes the relative humidity level through metal oxides between two electrodes.
Resistive Humidity Sensor-
This sensor is also named an electrical conductivity sensor. This sensor works on two electrodes to arrive at the relative humidity value. It is significantly used in applications of force. Ex: Strain gauges.
Thermal Humidity Sensors-
Thermal sensors measure the exact humidity between dry air and humid air. They are used to measure and alter air levels in high temperatures. Also, it can be used in corrosive substance materials. This method uses a double-sensor system to measure the humidity levels.
Temperature and humidity sensor works by determining the changes that alter the temperature levels in the air. They calculate the slightest change in the atmosphere and measure the degree of humidity in a particular place.
Accuracy of Humidity Sensors
Humidity sensors are applicable in extremely hot places as well as in daily areas of our workplace. But only if the humidity sensors are accurate and effective are the results felt. Humidity calibrations check these sensors' accuracy. Precise readings are essential as the monitor can alter minute temperature control. Regular calibrated reports by experts certify the rightness of the humidity monitor. Market players are investing heavily in R&D to boost the humidity sensor industry.
The demand for accurate humidity sensors is high. It is used in various industries to check humidity levels. They are also popular in homes as people are now more conscious about their health. This triggers growth in the humidity sensor industry. According to humidity sensor industry analysis, the market is likely to touch USD 1551.4 million by 2025 at a CAGR of 6.30%. In 2019, the humidity sensor market was valued at USD 1069.9 million.