It is a type of skin condition that causes small and painful lumps that form under the skin. These lumps can break open or tunnels might get formed under the skin. This skin condition mainly affects the areas where the skin rubs together such as the buttocks, groin, breasts, and armpits.
This disease is labeled as a rare one, but the fact is that it is only rarely diagnosed properly. As per the significant variation, the reported prevalence of hidradenitis suppurativa ranges from 0.03% to 4%.
Parts of the body that gets effected
Usually, the blockages occur in the areas where you have hair or where your skin rubs together. This includes:
- Between your thighs
- Behind your ears
- Under your arms
- Between your buttocks
- In the folds of your stomach
- In your groin
- Under your breasts
- On the nape of your neck
Stages of Hidradenitis Suppurativa
The development of a small, single lesion in one region of the body parts results in Hidradenitis suppurativa. This might get resolved impulsively within about a month, or it might break and leak pus (a thick yellowish or greenish opaque liquid produced in infected tissue, consisting of dead white blood cells and bacteria with tissue debris and serum).
Following, the lumps usually appear in the surrounding region and with an increase in the size of the new lumps, especially if the condition is not managed adequately. Further, narrow channels underneath the skin known as sinus tracts might also form, which discharge pus when burst.
A classification system is used to categorize the stage of the disease, as the progression of the disease is highly variable. The stages are classified into three stages, based on the severity.
Hurley stage I: In this stage, a single bump with no sinus tracts or scar occurs.
Hurley stage II: More than one bump occurs in several different areas of the body with the formation of sinus tracts, occurs in stage II.
Hurley stage III: Multiple bumps occurs in this stage, with a lot of sinus tracts and scars, including an entire region of the body.
Changes in lifestyle to cure Hidradenitis Suppurativa
Introducing certain changes in the lifestyle can aid you to make your Hidradenitis Suppurativa less severe with slow breakouts and less pain. Therefore, some of such changes include:
- Lose surplus weight – Getting a proper weight balance will help you get ease from the symptoms of making a reduction in the rubbing of your together.
- Stop smoking – Cutting down completely on the consumption of smoking will help to make your Hidradenitis Suppurativa less severe. Besides, it will also aid in reducing your risk of cancer and heart disease.
- Avoid shaving trouble spots – This can assist you to keep your skin at ease from irritating. Therefore, consult your dermatologist to know about the alternatives to get rid of unwanted hair.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes – Try to wear loose clothes to avoid any cause in your skin to rub. This will aid you to get relief from the flare-ups worsening.
This skin condition is more commonly found in females as compared to males. Starting at puberty, this disease is also seen in young people who are around 11 years of age to about 40 years of age.