Specialty tapes Market Overview
Specialty Tapes Market is grow USD 62 Billion CAGR of 6% during the forecast period, says market research future (MRFR). Around one-eighth of the worldwide adhesive tapes market is focused to specialty tapes. Specialty tapes are widely used in a variety of end-use industries. These specialty tapes are manufactured using a variety of resins and materials, depending on the use and customer requirements. Specialty tapes are utilized in a variety of end-use industries, including electrical and electronics, healthcare and hygiene, automotive, white goods, paper and printing, construction, and retail and graphics. The market is projected to be driven by the expanding applications of specialty tapes.
The trend toward thinner and microelectronic devices continues, resulting in an increase in the use of specialty tapes in the electrical and electronics industries. Similarly, the market for specialty tapes in the healthcare & hygiene end-use industry is predicted to increase at the fastest rate during the forecast period. This increase is related to the expanding elderly population and the prevalence of chronic diseases.
Specialty tapes are specialized tapes with a wide variety of applications that are utilized in the automotive, electronics, healthcare, aerospace industries. Specialty tapes perform fastening, splicing, mounting, and sealing applications. The materials for the tape and its adhesive element are chosen based on functionality for their end use. They offer customized solutions for many end users. In the market, specialty tapes are popular by the trade names: 3M Specialty tapes, Polyken, Patco, Ludlow Tape, Norbond, and CHR.
The growth of the global specialty tapes market is primarily driven by increasing use in the electrical & electronics industry. The product finds use in numerous electrical applications including mobile phones, disk drives, seals & gaskets, semiconductors, white goods, and printed circuit board (PCB) fabrication owing to their superior properties such as heat resistance and weather resistance. The expanding automotive industry with rising use of acrylic foam tapes and rubber adhesive tapes is another important factor supporting the market growth.
The growth of the major end-use industries including automotive, healthcare, and electrical & electronics in the developing markets and ongoing technological advancements with increased spending on R&D in the aforementioned technologies particularly in developed markets is likely to create lucrative opportunities for the players operating in the market.
The increasing regulations by the regulatory authorities such as the US Environmental Protection Agency, EPA (US), International Maritime Organization, IMO (UK), and European Commission (Europe) regarding emissions of volatile organic compounds is affecting the market growth. However, the players operating in the global specialty tapes market are emphasizing on developing tapes that emit less VOCs.
- Expanding electric and electronics industry worldwide particularly with increase in demand for portable consumer electronics
- Growing automotive production in the developing markets
- Increased utility in the healthcare industry coupled with rising health awareness among the consumers
- Increasing VOC regulations
By Resin Type
- Acrylic: Acrylic segment accounted for the largest market share in 2018 and is expected to grow at a significant CAGR during the review period. Acrylic tapes can be either solid, water-based or solvent-based. They develop stronger bonds than rubber adhesives and can withstand heightened temperatures. Acrylic tapes are preferred for polar surfaces and do not break down when exposed to UV light and chemicals. Acrylic tapes are being widely used in automotive industry as it provides enhanced bonding strength.
- Rubber: Rubber tapes find use in insulating and sealing electric connections for both high voltage and low voltage applications. Rubber tapes are relatively cheap, sturdy and can withstand medium to high temperatures.
- Silicone: Silicone tapes offer excellent and fast fusion to make airtight and watertight seal within minutes. They also have increased tear resistance and controlled elongation of up to 25% making them ideal to seal difficult to get to places. They find use in the automotive, aviation, and electric industries. They are also ideal for quick field repairs.
- Others: This includes butyl, viscoelastic polymer, acrylate and other specialized tapes with specific functionality.
By Backing Material
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC): PVC was the largest and fastest-growing segment accounting for 17% of the global specialty tapes market in 2018 and is expected to grow at a significant CAGR during the review period. PVC backing enhances the electric insulation capability of the tapes and its flame retardation ability. Specialty tapes with PVC backing material are being widely used in various end-use industries such as electrical & electronics, automotive, and aviation sector.
- Woven/Non-woven: Woven tapes are difficult to tear while non-woven tapes can be easily torn, even by hand. In addition, non-woven tapes are comfortable, translucent and have good heat resistance, making them ideal for a variety of healthcare applications. This segment represents 15% of the total specialty market.
- Paper: Paper backed tapes accounted for around 14% share of the global specialty market. They are ideal for applications which require suppleness and stretching making them easier to tape over curves and contours.
- Polyester: Polyester backed specialty tapes can withstand extreme temperature in the 50 degrees to 200 degrees range. They are used in numerous applications which includes electronic appliances and printing & laminating industries.
- Foam: Foam backed specialty tapes offer soft and voluminous surfaces and nestle very well in restricted spaces. It smoothens movement and absorbs loads well. They are heavily employed in the electrical & electronics; and printing industry. It absorbs vibrations during high-speed printing resulting in good print quality and less mechanical wear.
- Polypropylene: Polypropylene backed specialty tapes are used for surface protection as well as for bundling due to the heightened structural integrity. Polypropylene is widely used in adhesive tapes used in buildings and transportation sector.
- Metal: Metal segment accounted for around 5% market share. It offers high resistance to aging and excellent electric conductivity. Metal backed specialty tapes are used in electric equipment as heat barriers.
- Glass Cloth: Glass cloth-backed tapes offer excellent abrasion resistance and high tensile strength, which makes them ideal for bundling and holding. They also are employed to seal high temperature ducts as well as to protect surfaces against abrasion.
- Polyethylene: Polyethylene backed tapes offer excellent tear and abrasion resistance along with great low-temperature bonding. They are almost identical to polypropylene backed tapes but are less noisy to use and have a wider applicability to their generalized nature.
- Electric and Electronics: The largest market within this segment, electric and electronic use of specialty tapes account for almost 28% of the entire specialty tape market share. Specialty tapes offer excellent electric and heat insulation well as flame retardation. Growing electrical & electronics industry with increased spending on portable consumer electronics is propelling the market growth. The growth of this market is also fueling its innovation.
- Healthcare: The fastest-growing market within this segment, medical use of specialty tapes accounted for 15% of the market share with hygiene applications accounting for a further 10% of the market share. This segment is growing due to increasing applications for specialty tapes as well as the growth of the healthcare industry.
- Automotive: Automotive segment accounted for 14% of the global specialty tapes market. The product is used in the automotive industry for wire insulation. It also is used to attach trim parts and bonding seals throughout an automobile body.
- Consumer Goods: Consumer goods is the prime market for specialty tape either for use within the product or for use in transporting the product.
- Paper & printing: Paper and printing are responsible for 6% of the specialty tapes market and they have a critical utility within the print industry, especially the foam-backed specialty tapes.
- Building & Construction: Building and construction segment is expected to drive the demand for specialty tapes at a significant rate owing to increasing residential construction. Specialty tapes are used in various construction application including windows, door frames, duct board, and pipes among others.
- Retail & graphics: The product is used in retail for their packaging and in graphics to ensure good adhesion along with elasticity.
- Aerospace & Defense: Aerospace & defense segment accounted for around 3% of the global specialty tapes market.
- Marine: Marine is a small segment that has very specific requirement due to most of its applications being underwater or in very moist conditions.
- Asia-Pacific: Asia-Pacific was the largest and fastest-growing market accounting for around 48% share of the global specialty tapes market. The market growth can be attributed to the expanding automotive industry with increasing automotive production to meet the rising demand for energy-efficient vehicles. Additionally, growing healthcare industry as a result of increased spending on healthcare coupled with growing aging population and rising hygiene awareness among the consumers.
- North America: The North American specialty tapes market is driven by the presence of established electrical & electronics, healthcare, and automotive industries.
- Europe: The European market for specialty tapes is likely to grow at a considerable CAGR during the review period. The market growth in Europe is expected to be driven by increasing investment in R&D to bring technological advancement in the major end-use industries.
- Middle East & Africa: Rapid economic development is driving the growth of the market within this region, with sub-Saharan Africa recording the highest growth in this region.
- Latin America: The growth of the specialty tapes market in this region is primarily fueled by the growth of the major end-use industries in Brazil, along with steady economic growth across the entire region.
- NITTO DENKO CORPORATION (Japan)
- 3M (US)
- Tesa Tapes Private Limited (India)
- LINTEC Corporation (Japan)
- Avery Dennison Corporation (US)
- Scapa Group Plc (UK)
- Intertape Polymer Group (IPG), (US)
- Berry Global Inc. (Polyken, Patco, Ludlow Tape), (US)
- Saint-Gobain (Norbond, CHR), (France)
- Lohmann GmbH & Co.KG (Germany)
- NICHIBAN Co., Ltd (Japan)
- DermaMed Coatings Company, LLC (US)
- Specialty Tapes, STM, (US)
- ECHOtape (US)
2021 November: Avery Dennison Performance Tapes and officials from Ohio, US broke ground on a 35,000-square-foot manufacturing expansion at the company's Chester Street headquarters. The enlarged factory will manufacture multi-layer pressure-sensitive specialty tapes for a variety of industries, including automotive, general industrial, packaging, and building and construction. The extra manufacturing capacity will boost Avery Dennison Performance Tapes' ability to develop and supply high-quality pressure-sensitive adhesive solutions for both conventional and custom customer applications.
August 2021: Ajit Industries Private Limited, or AIPL, created one-of-a-kind eco-friendly green tapes. Ajit Industries, a market leader in industrial tapes and die cuts, has announced a new line of recyclable and biodegradable tapes. The new line includes Self-Adhesive Kraft Paper Tape, Water Activated Kraft Paper Tape KP 90, Eco-Friendly Honeycomb Packaging Paper, and Recyclable Bopp Tape. Among the company's core offerings are over 200 variants of industrial tapes and die cut systems. Through its mission green campaign, Ajit Industries (AIPL) has been actively pushing the use of environmentally friendly green tapes.