Artificial Cervical Disc Market Forecast
The artificial cervical disc market is expected to cross ~USD 6,262.1 million by 2027 at a CAGR of ~19%.
Artificial Cervical Disc Market Overview:
An artificial cervical disc is a medical device designed to replace a natural disc in the neckthrough disc replacement surgery. It is an emerging procedure that replaces the function of a damaged or diseased spinal disc.These procedures will be helpful to eliminate pain caused by disc degeneration while maintaining mobility and function.
The increasing prevalence of orthopedic diseases and degenerative diseases, technological advancements in artificial discs, and the rise of a geriatric population in developed and developing economies areexpected to drive the artificial cervical disc market during the forecast period.In addition, the artificial cervical disc market is anticipated to grow duringthe forecast period due to the factors such as rising healthcare expenditure, supportive reimbursement, growing acceptance of implantation, increasing disposable income, andrising investments in healthcare infrastructure by the government and private sectors. However, lack of skilled personnel, government rules and regulations, high cost of implants, and availability of alternatives such as spinal fusion & traditional cervical discectomy are likelyto hamper the artificial cervical disc market growth.
COVID-19 Analysis of Artificial Cervical Disc Market
The emergence of the pandemic has affected people across the globe and resulted in the shutdown of operational facilities worldwide. The healthcare industry faced unprecedented encounters during the lockdown phase. The manufacturing units were shut down, affecting the production of medical products and other equipment. Also, the supply chain of the medical products was affected that led to the increase in warehouse inventory of the manufactured products. Moreover, the doctors & surgeons with personal clinics were facing tough times due to the closure of the operational facility. Likewise, 62% of healthcare practitioners in the US faced salary issues during the outbreak.
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic is related to possible delay ofdisc replacement surgeries due to several factors such as reallocation of hospital resources like nursing staff and ICU beds for the care of patients with the coronavirusandthe cancellation of elective surgeries to reduce the chances of disease spread.
Artificial Cervical Disc Market Dynamics
DriversIncrease in prevalence of degenerative spine conditions across the globe
Opportunities:Increase inthe number of clinical trials on artificial discs
- The global artificial cervical disc market is receiving support from technological advancements.Increasing prevalence of degenerative spine conditions, growing hospitalizations & healthcare expenditures across the globe, supportive reimbursements, and sports and trauma-related accidents are becoming more common.An increase in the geriatric population is further driving the global artificial cervical disc market.
- In addition, innovations in technology, availability of numerous products, and growth in surgeries and medical procedures in the artificial cervical disc market are leading to the expansion of industries.
- Worldwide, there has been an increase in the number of clinical trials on artificial discs.
- For example, in March 2016,the Charité Artificial Disc (manufactured by DePuy Spine, Inc.) has been completed, and the study results have been submitted to the FDA. In November 2016,Spineart SA concluded thatBAGUERA C cervical disc replacement is a safe and effective procedure for treating radiculopathy caused by soft disc herniation. Some artificial discs have been studies in FDA-supervised IDE prospective randomized clinical trials, so lots of opportunities for artificial cervical disc market growth rise in recent years due to more number of artificial discs in the DE stage of development.
High cost of the product
- Major factors hindering the artificial cervical disc market are a high cost of the product, lack of uniform reimbursement policies, and technological challenges faced by surgeons during replacement surgeries.
Risk associated with surgery and medical procedures isa big challenging factor for the market players
Artificial Cervical Disc Market Segment Overview
By Product Type
- Cervical disc:The cervical disc segment holds a significant artificial cervical disc market share and is anticipated to show a similar trend over the forecast period due to the rising prevalence of degenerative disc disease and the growing demand for non-invasive procedures are the key driving factors of the artificial cervical disc market segment.
- Lumbar disc: Rapidly growing geriatric patient pool suffering from orthopedic diseases andlow back pain among the geriatric andincreasing prevalence of low back pain will increase the demand for lumbar total disc replacement (LTDR) procedures, thereby boosting the lumbar disc segment growth
By End User
- Metal-on-metal material: The artificial cervical disc market segment is expected to attain significant revenue during the forecast period. Many healthcare practitioners, including doctors, surgeons,and clinicianshave been displaying a increasing preference for metal implants. Moreover,titanium alloys, zirconium alloys, cobalt-nickel-chromium-molybdenum, tantalum, and chromium-cobalt-molybdenum are some of the extensively utilized metal implants in artificial cervical disc surgeries. Metal-on-metal materials are being preferred due to their superior corrosion-resistant properties and considerably lower costs than metal-on-biopolymers.
- Metal-on-biopolymer: Industry players are focusing on developing metal-on-biopolymer artificial discs due to their advantages like better biocompatibility, high degree of rotation, and flexible movement of spine and insertion. The rising adoption of such advanced artificial discs for the treatment of degenerative disc diseases will accelerate the artificial cervical disc market growth during the forthcoming years.
Artificial Cervical Disc Market Regional Analysis
Hospitals: The advancement in the hospital infrastructure across the globe is driving the artificial cervical disc market. Hospitals provide better treatment and have skilled medical staff, which attractsa high number of patients.
Ambulatory Surgical Centers: The demand for ambulatory surgical centers is increasing dueto the immediate requirement for the treatment. These centers offer immediate treatment to the patient and discharge them the same day. Such procedures are effective and economical as they do not include expenses of overnight or long stays.
- The increasing geriatric population and higher success rate of artificial disc replacement surgeries across the region are driving the North American artificial cervical disc market.
- North America is expected to hold the largest share in the global artificial disc market due to the increasing geriatric population, higher success rate of artificial disc replacement surgery, and growing awareness among the patients about the availability of various treatment options.
- Advancements in healthcare infrastructure are fueling the Asia-Pacific artificial cervical disc market
- Asia-Pacific is projected to have the fastest growth during the forecast period due to a rapidly developing medical infrastructure, increasing spending on healthcare, large population, and growing medical tourism in developing nations such as China, Japan, and India.
List of Key Companies Covered in this Report:
- The industry players are coming up with various business strategies to increase the artificial cervical disc market presence. The companies are investing in R&D activities to expand their product portfolio, further driving the cellulite treatment market. In addition, the market players are offering mergers and acquisitions, contractual agreements, new product launches, increasing investments, and partnering with other players to expand their global footprint. For instance, in February 2021, NuVasive Inc. acquired Simplify Medical. The acquisition of Simplify Medical adds the most clinically effective cTDR technology and further distinguishes NuVasive’s cervical portfolio in the artificial cervical disc market .
- Globus Medical Inc (US)
- Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc. (US)
- Braun Melsungen AG (Germany)
- Centinel Spine, LLC (Switzerland)
- Medtronic PLC (Ireland)
- Nuvasive Inc. (US)
- Johnson & Johnson (US)
- Orthofix Company (US)
- Alphatec Spine (US)
- Simplify Medical (US)
- AxioMed (US)
- Aditus Medical (Germany)
- FH Orthopedics (France)
- Medicrea (France)
- Spineart (Switzerland)
- In April 2021, NuVasive Simplify Cervical Artificial Disc (Simplify Disc) received approval from the US FDA for two-level cervical total disc replacement (cTDR)
- In December 2020, Centinel Spine LLC announced the premier implantation of its new angled endplates, addressing the needs of surgeons for diverse solutions for lumbar anatomy as well as the pathology of patients.
- In February 2019, the US FDA approved the M6-C artificial cervical disc (Orthofix Medical) for patients suffering from cervical disc degeneration. The artificial disc was developed by Spinal Kinetics, a company acquired by Orthofix in April 2018.
- In January 2018, an acquisition was made between NUVasive Inc with safe passage to strengthen its IONM business line.
- In March 2017, NuVasive Inc. received the US FDA 510(k) clearance for its CoRoent Small Interbody System, indicated for intervertebral body fusion at multiple contiguous levels in the cervical spine. The product approval marked the first US clearance for a cervical cage to be used at up to four contiguous levels.
Scope of the Report & Segmentation
- The study covers the existing short-term and long-term artificial cervical disc market effect and helps decision-makers to draught short-term and long-term plans for businesses by region. The artificial cervical disc market report covers major economiesin North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Rest of the World. The report analyzes market drivers, restraints, opportunities, challenges, Porter’s five forces, value chain, and impact of COVID on the market.
By Product Type
- Cervical Disc
- Lumbar Disc
By End User
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Speak to Analyst
Ask for Customization
2027: ~USD 6,262.1 Million
Value (USD Million)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
By Product Type, By Material, and End User
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Globus Medical Inc (US), Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc. (US), B. Braun Melsungen AG (Germany), Centinel Spine, LLC (Switzerland), Medtronic PLC (Ireland), Nuvasive Inc. (US), Johnson & Johnson (US), Orthofix Company (US), Alphatec Spine (US), Simplify Medical (US), AxioMed (US), Aditus Medical (Germany), FH Orthopedics (France), Medicrea (France), Spineart (Switzerland)
Key Market Opportunities
Increase in the number of clinical trials on artificial discs
Key Market Drivers
Growing prevalence of degenerative spine conditions across the globe
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
Artificial Cervical Disc Market is projected to grow at a 19% CAGR between 2020-2027.
Artificial Cervical Disc Market predicted to touch USD 9 6,262.1 million by 2027.
Increase in prevalence of degenerative spine conditions across the globe is the key factors driving the Artificial Cervical Disc Market
The Product Type included in the Artificial Cervical Disc Market are Cervical Disc and Lumbar Disc
This table of content is tentative and subject to change as the research progresses.
Please Note: Financial details of company cannot be provided if the information of the company is not available in public domain and or reliable source.