Acrylamide Market Overview
According to MRFR analysis, the Acrylamide Market is projected to register a CAGR of over 4% to reach USD 4.5 Billion by the end of 2027.
The European Union imposed a new regulation setting lower benchmark values for acrylamide in food products such as French fries, potato crisps, bread, breakfast cereals, cookies, biscuits, coffee, and baby food, etc.
In addition to this, regulation 2017/2158 establishes best practices, mitigation measures, and benchmark levels for the reduction of the presence of acrylamide in food.
In 2016, the FDA developed a Guidance for Industry that outlines strategies to help growers, manufacturers, and foodservice operators reduce acrylamide in the food supply.
- Anhui Jucheng Fine Chemicals Co., LTD
- BASF SE
- Beijing Hengju Chemical Group
- Dia-Nitrix Co., Ltd.
- Mitsui Chemicals, Inc.
- NUOER GROUP
- Zibo Xinye Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Zhejiang Xinyong Biochemical Co., Ltd.
Acrylamide is an organic compound with the chemical formula C3H5NO. It is a white, odorless solid, soluble in water and several organic solvents. It is widely used as a precursor of polyacrylamide and acrylamide copolymers, which find uses in the production of paper, dyes, and plastics as well as in water & wastewater treatment. These products are also found in caulking, food packaging, and adhesives.
The factors driving the global acrylamide market include the demand for acrylamide in water & wastewater treatment. Rapid industrial development across the globe drives the demand for the product. Industries such as oil & gas, chemicals, pulp & paper, textiles, among others produce toxic effluents in large quantities, which necessitates water & wastewater treatment.
Another major driver of the global acrylamide market is its use in enhanced oil recovery. This is attributed to the rising demand for crude oil products such as gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, and others. The use of enhanced oil recovery technology is promoted as the process can recover 30-60% more oil at the reservoir site.
All the above-mentioned factors are projected to boost the demand for acrylamide during the review period.
Scarcity of Drinking Water
- Need for Water & Wastewater Treatment
- Demand from Enhanced Oil Recovery
- Increasing Demand for Convenience Foods
- Regulatory Constraints & Adverse Health Effects
- Water & Wastewater Treatment: Acrylamide is used as a precursor to polyacrylamide, which is extensively used in flocculation of solids in water & wastewater treatment. When added to wastewater, it causes suspended particles to aggregate and to precipitate. In municipal and industrial wastewater treatment, it is used in all liquid-solid separation processes including primary sewage treatment as well as in the treatment of water from mineral mining operations.
- Enhanced Oil Recovery: Use of acrylamide in enhanced oil recovery, wherein it increases the viscosity of the injected water and pushes the oil locked in reservoirs towards the pump. High demand for crude oil products such as jet fuel, diesel, and petrol across major end-use industries is expected to drive the global acrylamide market.
- Cosmetics: It is used in cosmetics & personal care products such as skin cleansers, moisturizers, lotions & creams, hair care, and nail care products, among others. It is widely used as a stabilizer, binder, and thickener in cosmetics & personal care products. This is because it has foaming, anti-static, and lubricating properties.
- Paper Manufacturing: Acrylamide in the form of polyacrylamide finds use as a strengthening and dispersing agent in papermaking from recycled paper. It is also used as a reinforcing agent. In the pulp & paper industry, polyacrylamides are used as binders and retention aids for fibers and to retain pigments on paper fibers.
- Chemical Intermediate: It is used as a chemical intermediate in the production of organic chemicals, which are further used as a feedstock for medical, pharmaceutical, biochemical, and agriculture applications.
- Textiles: In the textile industry, polyacrylamides are used to size and shrink-proof materials and as water repellents. The use of polyacrylamides can improve the tackiness, permeability, and desizing performance.
- Others: The others segment includes mining, agriculture, dyes, plastics, and adhesives applications.
- North America: The North American market for acrylamide is driven by the expanding industrial sector in the region.
- Europe: The market in Europe is projected to witness a demand for acrylamide due to the growth of the transportation, reconstruction, and power generation industries in the region. Major contributors to the market growth include Germany, the UK, France, and Russia.
- Asia-Pacific: Asia-Pacific is the fastest-growing regional market on account of the rapid industrialization in the region. The growth potential is in emerging economies such as India, South Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, and others.
- Middle East & Africa: The presence of large oil & gas reserves in the region is the key factor driving the demand for acrylamide.
- Latin America: The Latin American market is projected to witness high demand for acrylamide due to the growing industrial sector.
June 2021 : Kemira Oyj has finished setting up its latest state-of-the-art manufacturing facility units for bio-acrylamide monomer and emulsion polymers at its site located in Mobile, Alabama. Production has begun, with the unit anticipated to be completely operational in the summer of 2021. The entire unit was set up at a cost of close to 70 million euros and should help back the company’s strategic work on emerging faster than the market. This investment will allow Kemira to cater to the steadily mounting requirement for polyacrylamide polymers. The backward integration into the manufacturing of bio acrylamide will further bolster the sustainability factor, competitiveness and product quality for the company.
June 2021 : Vertellus, a renowned beauty ingredient developer, is all set to carry out the acquisition of IM Chemical. IM Chemicals’ acquisition should help foster Vertellus’ ability to offer advanced specialty products as well as solutions to the customers. The 30 plus ingredients part of the extensive portfolio include Diacetone Acrylamide, Dimethyl Sebacate, and Dimethyl Itaconate.