Speak to Analyst
Request a Free Sample
Microtome Market Forecast
Microtome Market accounted for USD 73.5 Million in 2030 at a CAGR of 5.21%.
A microtome is a tool used to cut extremely thin sections of tissue samples of plants or animals. Microtomes help in extremely fine cuts that are important for preparations used in microscopy. The high preference of microtome in cancer biopsy will drive the growth positively over the forecast period due to rising cases of cancer worldwide. According to WHO, around 18.1 million new cases of cancer were diagnosed in 2018.
The increasing incidence of chronic disorders, rising geriatric population along with growing commercial availability of high-quality diagnostic technologies in developed economies, support the microtome market growth. The ever-increasing number of clearances and product launches by key players in the microtome market are likely to act as a promising factor for the growth of the microtome market in the near future. For instance, in May 2018, Leica Biosystems, part of Danaher introduced a new line of rotary microtomes to its full line of histology equipment and consumables. This product launch includes products such as HistoCore BIOCUT, HistoCore MULTI CUT, and HistoCoreAUTOCUT clinical microtomes.
Microtome Market Drivers
- Increase in prevalence of chronic diseases
- Oncology disease requires examination of tissues to diagnose the presence of tumor cells. Hence, the rising incidence of cancer will drive the growth of microtome market. For instance, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), more than 3.7 million new cases and 1.9 million deaths occur each year in Europe, and cancer represents the second most important cause of death and morbidity in Europe.
- Rise in healthcare expenditure
- Increasing geriatric population
- Increasing product launches, mergers and acquisitions by prominent players in the microtome market
- In 2019, PHC Holdings Corporation completed the acquisition of Thermo Fisher Scientific’s anatomical pathology business.
- Lack of Skilled Professionals
Microtome Market Segmentation
- Instruments: Expected to hold the largest share, due to the commercial availability of these systems and their high adoption rate due to ease of handling. Additionally, the rising number of market players offering microtomes instruments is driving microtome market growth. For instance, players such as MEDITE GmbH is offering Semi-Automatic Rotary Microtome M530, and SLEE medical GmbH is offering CUT 4062 manual precision microtome.
- Rotary Microtomes: Rotary microtomes accounted for the largest market share in 2018 and is expected to register the highest CAGR during the forecast period. This large share and fastest growth rate can be attributed to its high adoption in sectioning all types of tissues (hard, fragile, or fatty).
- Vibrating Microtomes: These microtomes take up the second-largest share due to its vast advantages, such as their ability to keep cytosol intact in cells and can keep cells living. The vibrating microtome is usually used for difficult biological samples. However, they are slower to operate than a cryostat or rotating or sliding microtome, which acts as a hampering factor.
- Cryostat Microtomes: Cryostat microtomes are built for cutting frozen samples. Cryostat microtomes are expected to take up a significant share as they help in the preservation of cell density and tissue architecture. However, the sample temperature and knife temperature must be controlled to optimize the resultant sample thickness.
- Other Microtomes: Other microtomes include ultramicrotome, laser microtome, and saw microtome.
- Microtome Accessories: Accessories segment is expected to exhibit the highest growth owing to the growing demand for these accessories in hospitals & clinics along with technological advancements in microtome such as portability and user-friendly operability.
- Fully Automated Microtomes: Fully automated microtomes held the majority share due to rising demand for technologically advanced products and their ability to show the highest precision in section thickness. Additionally, fully automated microtomes do not require tedious manual adjustments.
- Semi-Automated Microtomes: These microtomes take up the second-largest share as they are ideal for routine sectioning and research application in pathology and histopathology.
- Manual: These microtomes account for the least market share as they require manual adjustments. However, manual microtomes are preferred in developing economies as their prices are low.
- Disease Diagnosis: Disease diagnosis accounted for the largest share due to the increasing number of tissue examinations in research laboratories and hospitals owing to raising awareness about the benefits of early diagnosis of diseases like cancer.
- Medical Research: Medical research accounted for the second-largest share due to a surge in demand for novel therapies and personalized drugs.
- Hospital Laboratories: Hospital Laboratories dominate the global market for microtomes. The positive growth of hospitals is attributed to factors such as the high volume of routine tissue examinations performed in hospital-based laboratories across the globe and growing patient population.
- Diagnostic Laboratories: Diagnostic Laboratories take up the second-largest share due to the rising number of diagnostic labs and the increasing patient population.
- Americas: It is the largest regional market owing to the large patient population, a rise in the prevalence of cancer leading to demand for biopsies, and the presence of a large number of market players. According to the National Cancer Institute, in 2018, an estimated 1,735,350 new cases of cancer were diagnosed in the United States. Additionally, an increase in the investments by public & private sectors in in-vitro diagnostics and increasing demand for technologically advanced diagnostic equipment is driving the Americas microtome market.
- Europe: The growing presence of the developed pharmaceutical industry and the significant demand for advanced technology is driving the growth of the microtome market in Europe. Additionally, the rising initiatives by organizations are driving microtome market growth.
- Asia-Pacific: The Asia-Pacific region is anticipated to be the fastest-growing region in the microtome market. This region is anticipated to witness enormous growth due to increasing per capita income, rising public awareness regarding the benefits of early diagnosis and growing medical tourism industry
- Middle East & Africa: The smallest market due to limited healthcare infrastructure and limited exposure to technological advancements.
Microtome Market Key Players
- Abbott (US)
- Merck (Germany)
- Thermo Fisher (US)
- Danaher (US)
- Roche (Switzerland)
- Diasorin (Italy)
- Biomérieux (France)
- Diagnostic Automation/Cortez Diagnostics (US)
- Qualigen (US)
- Kronus (US)
- Autobio Diagnostics (China)
Speak to Analyst
Ask for Customization
2018: USD 120 Million 2030: 73.5 billion
Value (USD Million)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Product, Technology, End User
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Abbott (US), Merck (Germany), Thermo Fisher (US), Danaher (US), Roche (Switzerland), Diasorin (Italy), Biomérieux (France), Diagnostic Automation/Cortez Diagnostics (US), Qualigen (US), Kronus (US), Autobio Diagnostics (China)
Key Market Opportunities
New product launches and R&D Amongst major key Players
Key Market Drivers
Increase in prevalence of chronic diseases Rise in healthcare expenditure Increasing geriatric population Increasing product launches, mergers and acquisitions by prominent players in the market
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
Microtome market is projected grow at approximately 5..21% CAGR during the assessment period (2020-2030).
The valuation of the Microtome market had reached 73.5 billion in 2030.
The instruments segment by product holds the majority shares in the Microtome market.
North America holds the largest share in the global Microtome market, followed by Europe and the Asia Pacific, respectively.
Danaher (US), Amos Scientific Pty Ltd (Australia), Diapath S.p.A. (Italy), Jinhua YIDI Medical Appliance Co., Ltd (China), Histo-Line Laboratories (Italy), MEDITE GmbH (Germany), Sakura Finetek (Japan), Boeckeler Instruments, Inc. (US), Thermo Fisher Scientific (US), and SLEE Medical GmbH (Germany), are some of the major players operating in the global Microtome market.