Liver Cirrhosis Treatment Market Forecast
Liver Cirrhosis Treatment Market is expected to hold a value of USD 1349.92 Million by 2025 at a CAGR of 5.2%.
Liver Cirrhosis Treatment Market Synopsis
Liver cirrhosis is a disease in which the liver is severely damaged and scarred, hence leading to liver failure. A lot of research activities are being carried out by major pharmaceutical companies to develop novel drugs for the treatment of liver cirrhosis. Rapidly changing lifestyle is increasing the risk of people suffering from liver cirrhosis. Moreover, people suffering from hepatitis, cystic fibrosis, syphilis, alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, alcohol abuse, and other liver diseases are at greater risk of suffering from liver cirrhosis. As of 2015, 887,000 deaths people died suffering from hepatitis B. Most of these deaths were because these patients were suffering from liver cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma (primary liver cancer) along with hepatitis B.
The increasing prevalence of liver cirrhosis expected to contribute to the growth of the liver cirrhosis treatment market in the near future.
- Increasing prevalence of liver cirrhosis. As of January 2019, liver cirrhosis accounted for 3.5% of all the deaths worldwide.
- Rapidly changing lifestyle
- Growing awareness programs regarding liver diseases
- Rising R&D investment for the development of innovative drugs for liver diseases
- High geriatric population. Between the years 2015 and 2050, the percentage of geriatric population is expected to double from 12% to 22%.
- Increasing demand for better treatment methods for curing liver cirrhosis
- Stringent government regulations
- High investment required for drug research and development
- Side-effects of medications prescribed for liver cirrhosis
Liver Cirrhosis Treatment Market Segmentation
- Antibiotics: The largest segment of the liver cirrhosis treatment market. Antibiotics are prescribed for infections associated with liver cirrhosis. As of February 2016, 30% to 50% of deaths of cirrhosis patients occurred because of bacterial infections.
- Immunosuppressants: The fastest-growing segment. Immunosuppressants are prescribed to reduce the body’s ability to reject the transplanted liver. Approximately, 8,082 liver transplants were performed in 2016.
- Others: This segment includes medications prescribed for the treatment of underlying causes of liver cirrhosis such as Hepatitis B or C. Moreover, antihypertensive drugs, drugs for the reduction of ammonia, medications for reduction of blood pressure, and nutritional supplements are also covered in this segment.
- Hospitals and Clinics: The largest segment. Hospitals and clinics are the primary points of care for the treatment of liver cirrhosis. Rising prevalence of liver cirrhosis is expected to drive the liver cirrhosis treatment market growth.
- Research and Academic Institutes: These centers carry out research activities for the innovation of novel drugs for the treatment of liver cirrhosis.
- Others: This segment includes centers for home care and elderly population.
- Americas: The largest regional market. The prevalence of liver cirrhosis is high in the Americas. Approximately, 88,000 people died suffering from alcohol-related liver disease and liver cirrhosis in the US as of October 2017. Moreover, the healthcare infrastructure in the Americas is also developed, which contributes to liver cirrhosis treatment market growth. Furthermore, major pharmaceutical companies such as Pfizer Inc. and Gilead Sciences, Inc. are headquartered in the US which positively contributes to the growth of the liver cirrhosis treatment market in the Americas.
- Europe: An increasing geriatric population and rising R&D investment for the development of innovative drugs for liver diseases is anticipated to drive the market growth in Europe. Finland and the UK are known to observe increasing level of liver disease mortality since the last 40 years. European countries such as the UK, Germany, and France among others, have a well-developed healthcare infrastructure, which contributes to the growth of the liver cirrhosis treatment market in Europe.
- Asia-Pacific: The fastest-growing regional market. Asia-Pacific is seeing a surge in the number of people suffering from liver cirrhosis. Moreover, government and non-government organizations are conducting awareness programs for liver cirrhosis which is expected to drive the liver cirrhosis treatment market growth. Furthermore, the geriatric population is prone to various liver diseases, and it is increasing in countries such as India, Japan, and China, which is positively affecting liver cirrhosis treatment market growth. It is estimated that, by the year 2050, one in four people in Asia and the Pacific region would be aged 60 years or more.
- Middle East & Africa: The liver cirrhosis treatment market is expected to show significant growth due to the rising patient population suffering from liver cirrhosis. The liver cirrhosis treatment market in the Middle East is expected to show more growth as compared to the African market owing to fast-developing healthcare facilities in the Middle Eastern countries such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Oman.
Liver Cirrhosis Treatment Market Key Players
- Pfizer, Inc. (US)
- Merck & Co., Inc. (Germany)
- Novartis AG (Switzerland)
- Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd (Switzerland)
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (Japan)
- Gilead Sciences, Inc. (US)
- AstraZeneca (UK)
- Bayer AG (Germany)
- Sanofi (France)
- Shionogi Inc. (Japan)
- Promethera (Belgium)
Speak to Analyst
Ask for Customization
2025: USD 1349.92 Million 2027: Significant Value
Value (USD Million)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Treatment, End User
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Pfizer, Inc. (US), Merck & Co., Inc. (Germany), Novartis AG (Switzerland), Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd (Switzerland), Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (Japan),
Gilead Sciences, Inc. (US), AstraZeneca (UK), Bayer AG (Germany), Sanofi (France), Shionogi Inc. (Japan), Promethera (Belgium)
Key Market Opportunities
New product launches and R&D Amongst major key Players
Key Market Drivers
Increasing prevalence of liver cirrhosis Rapidly changing lifestyle Growing awareness programs regarding liver diseases Rising R&D investment for the development of innovative drugs for liver diseases High geriatric population Increasing demand for better treatment methods for curing liver cirrhosis
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
The liver cirrhosis treatment was valued at USD 956.89 million in 2018.
The liver cirrhosis treatment is expected to exhibit a strong 5.2% CAGR over the forecast period from 2019 to 2025.
Growing prevalence of alcoholism is likely to be a major driver for the liver cirrhosis treatment.
The Americas are the largest regional market for liver cirrhosis treatment.
Leading players in the market include Merck, Novartis, and Pfizer, among others.
This table of content is tentative and subject to change as the research progresses.
Please Note: Financial details of company cannot be provided if the information of the company is not available in public domain and or reliable source.