Global Healthcare Personal Protection Equipment Market is expected to cross USD 10.116 Billion by 2027 at a CAGR of 9.17%.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) are protective gear designed to safeguard the health of workers by minimizing the exposure to a biological agent. It is one of the necessary tools in preventing transmission of infectious diseases not only in treatment centers but also in various activities, e.g. cleaning, waste management and safe burials, and community care related to the outbreak. Components of PPE are goggles, face-shield, mask, gloves, coverall/gowns (with or without aprons), head cover, shoe cover, and others.
Healthcare Personal Protection Equipment Market Influencer
PPE helps healthcare workers to fight against novel coronavirus (COVID-19). The World Health Organization (WHO) has recommended the governments across the world to increase the production of masks, gloves, respirators, and coveralls/gowns. It also recommended that PPE manufacturers must increase their production by 40% and prioritizing their orders to the countries with a high demand-supply gap.
- As of the 3rd week of April, coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic crossed 2 million cases globally. The increasing demand for hand protection, respiratory protection, and protective clothing in the healthcare industry to ensure the people’s safety during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic is expected to boost the demand for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Rapid technological advancements in the field of surgery such as High-Reliability Organizing (HRO), technical advancements, and standardizing procedures are expected to have a positive impact on the hospital sector, thereby impacting the demand for personal protective equipment positively.
- Increasing government initiatives to facilitate the import of personal protective equipment is expected to drive the market growth. For instance, in March 2020, in response to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) initiated numerous steps to improve US stocks of personal protective equipment. The measures include adjustments in import screening, flexibility to manufacturers, and creation of special mailbox service, among other provisions.
- The emergence of local PPE manufacturers, increasing end user demand, and the rising production of cost-effective and integrated PPE is expected to boost the market growth. For instance, in India, the Union Textiles Ministry and the Health Ministry has said the government is augmenting the supplies of personal protective equipment (PPEs), including body coveralls, N-95 masks and 2-ply/3-ply surgical masks required for healthcare professionals dealing with COVID-19 cases. Furthermore, more than 130 Australian companies have responded to an urgent call to dramatically boost the manufacturing of face masks, gowns, and gloves to deal with the COVID-19 crisis.
- The current global stockpile of PPE is inadequate to handle the existing and expected cases in different parts of the world, particularly for medical masks and respirators. The supply of gowns and goggles is also expected to be insufficient as the disease is spread. Surging global demand is not only driven by the increasing number of COVID-19 cases but also by misinformation, hoarding, and panic buying. The lockdown in a significant portion of the world is hampering the manufacturing of PPE.
- The high cost of raw materials (specialized clothing and other related products) is hindering the demand for PPEs in economically weak countries.
Healthcare Personal Protection Equipment Market Segmentation
- Protective Clothing: The protective clothing is further segmented into coveralls, gowns, and others. Coverall/gowns are designed to protect the torso of healthcare providers from exposure to the virus.
- Respiratory Protection: Respiratory protection is bifurcated into surgical masks, respirator masks, and others. The healthcare professionals are recommended to use surgical N95 respirators or medical respirators to protect them from the direct exposure to the COVID-19 virus.
- Head, Eye, and Face Protection: The largest segment. To prevent exposure of the eye and face from the virus, goggles or a face shield should be considered. High risk of COVID-19 and other infections through nose, eyes, and ears is among the primary reason driving the growth for this segment. The goggles must fit the contours of the user’s face and are compatible with the respirator. The use of face shields/ goggles is an integral part of standard and contact precautions for the people most at risk of COVID-19 infection.
- Protective Footwear: The use of protective footwear such as washable and disposable footwear is essential to avoid self-contamination.
- Hand protection: Hand protection is further sub-segmented into general-purpose, chemical handling, sterile gloves, and surgical. The rising awareness about hygiene and prevention from the transmission of pathogens in healthcare facilities is increasing the demand for medical gloves.
By End Use
- Hospitals & Clinics: The largest segment and expected to grow at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. The rising awareness regarding the hand protection during a viral outbreak is increasing the demand for PPEs in hospitals.
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers: The increasing number of patients visiting surgical centers is facilitating the demand for PPEs in ambulatory surgical centers.
- Academic and Research Institutes: PPEs are very effective in minimizing occupational injuries, accidents, and other hazards which otherwise result in substantial manpower and financial losses. The use of basic PPE is a must in research institutes as they protect from skin contact and contamination.
- Diagnostic Laboratories: The use of protective equipment is necessary for diagnostic laboratories to protect healthcare workers from specific hazards and hazardous materials.
- Americas: The largest regional market. The increasing government initiatives and rising concerns in terms of health and safety of healthcare professionals is boosting the demand for the same. Moreover, the rising prevalence of COVID-19 infection is majorly contributing to the growth of this region.
- Europe: The healthcare market in Northern European economies, such as Germany, U.K., and Sweden, is expected to exhibit an increase in healthcare expenditure, thereby leading to the growth in production as well as the consumption of medical devices and products.
- Asia-Pacific: The fastest-growing regional market. Emerging market players in the region, technological advancements, rising focus of government towards healthcare facilities, and high target population in the region are among the key factors driving the market growth in the region.
- Middle East & Africa: The high penetration of personal protective equipment in developed healthcare industries of UAE, South Africa is expected to drive the growth of the market in this region.
Healthcare Personal Protection Equipment Market Key Players
- 3M (US)
- Honeywell International Inc. (US)
- Medtronic PLC (Ireland)
- Ansell (Australia)
- Sterimed (US)
- DuPont (US)
- Crosstex International, Inc. (US)
- Medisca Inc. (US)
- Alpha Pro Tech (Canada)
- Plasti Surge Industries Pvt. (India)
- Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc. (US)
- Halyard Health
- priMED Medical Products, Inc. (Canada)
- Med-Con (Australia)
- KOWA (Japan)
2027: USD 10.116 Billion
Value (USD Billion)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Product and End Use
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
3M (US), Honeywell International Inc. (US), Medtronic PLC (Ireland), Ansell (Australia), Sterimed (US), DuPont (US), Crosstex International, Inc. (US), Medisca Inc. (US), Alpha Pro Tech (Canada), Plasti Surge Industries Pvt. (India), Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc. (US), Halyard Health, priMED Medical Products, Inc. (Canada), Med-Con (Australia), KOWA (Japan).
Key Market Opportunities
Governments Initiative to increase the production of Masks, Gloves, Respirators, and Coveralls/Gowns.
Key Market Drivers
The increasing demand for hand protection, respiratory protection, and protective clothing in the healthcare industry. Rapid Technological Advancements in the field of surgery such as High-Reliability Organizing (HRO), Technical Advancements, and Standardizing Procedures. Increasing Government Initiatives to facilitate the import of Personal Protective Equipment is expected to drive the Market Growth. The Emergence of local PPE manufacturers, increasing End User Demand, and the rising production of cost-effective and integrated PPE is expected to boost the Market Growth
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
The Healthcare Personal Protection Equipment market will be witnessing growth at CAGR of 9.17%.
Rapid technological advancements in the field of surgery such as High-Reliability Organizing (HRO), standardizing procedures technical advancements are the reasons due to which the market is having a positive impact on the hospital sector.
Medtronic PLC, Ansell, Honeywell International Inc., and Sterimed are the leading players mentioned in the study of the Healthcare Personal Protection Equipment market.
Asia-Pacific is the fastest-growing regional market in the Healthcare Personal Protection Equipment market.
Product and end-users are the segments mentioned in the study of the market.
This table of content is tentative and subject to change as the research progresses.
Please Note: Financial details of company cannot be provided if the information of the company is not available in public domain and or reliable source.